HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 10:13 PM

Putting Rail Lines in Highway Medians

Putting Rail Lines in Highway Medians

2014/09/01

Read More: http://pedestrianobservations.wordpr...ghway-medians/

Quote:
North Americans are in love with trains that go in highway medians. A large fraction of urban rail construction since World War Two, both light rail and full metro, has used highway medians as cheap at-grade rights-of-way to extend train service, often deep into the suburbs.

- For urban rail, the reason to use highways is that, in most of North America, they’re everywhere, and they’re usually equipped with generous medians and shoulders, allowing relatively cheap placement of rail tracks. Of note, this is generally not the cheapest option: construction on extant (often disused) rail rights-of-way tends to be cheaper. However, in many cases, a rail right-of-way is unavailable, hosts heavy freight traffic, has been permanently turned into a trail, or has commuter trains without integration into the rest of the urban transit network.

- Examples include the Dan Ryan half of the Red Line and both halves of the Blue Line in Chicago, the Orange and Silver Lines in Washington, the outer ends of BART, the Spadina line in Toronto, and several light rail lines. Often they run on one side of the road, but more frequently they’re in the median, which was often reserved for it when the road was built (as in Chicago and Calgary). --- The problem is that nobody wants to live, work, or hang out next to a busy grade-separated road. Living or working a kilometer or two away, with easy access by car, is great for the driver, but within close walking distance, there is just too much noise, pollution, and blight, and the pedestrian environment is unwelcoming.

- The transit-oriented development in Metrotown and Arlington could not have happened next to a freeway. Christof Spieler frames this as a decision of spending more money on routing trains near where people live versus staying on the easy rights-of-way. But this isn’t quite right: the Expo Line in Vancouver was assembled out of an interurban right-of-way and a city center tunnel, both out of service; the line’s high ridership comes from subsequent development next to Metrotown and other stations.

- Other times, the routing comes from a deliberate decision to integrate the trains with cars, with large park-and-rides at the ends. This is common on newer light rail systems in the US (though not Canada, as Calgary prefers integration with connecting buses) and in the Washington and San Francisco suburbs. This makes things even worse, by extending the radius within which the environment is built for cars rather than for people, and by encouraging the same park-and-ride construction elsewhere, along abandoned railroads and greenfield routes, where the preexisting environment is not car-oriented.

- I do not want to categorically say that cities should never build urban rail alongside highways. But I cannot think of a single example in which this was done right. Calgary is a marginal case: it did build light rail along highways, and had some success with transit-oriented development, but those highways are arterials rather than freeways, and this makes the pedestrian environment somewhat better.

- The situation is somewhat different for suburban rail, but usually the scale of suburban rail is such that there’s not much new construction, only reappropriation of old lines. These lines are long and the environments low-density, making it hard justify the costs of new lines in most cases. Where new suburban rail is built, for examples the Grand Paris Express, and various airport connectors, it is typically in environments with such expected traffic density that the rules for urban rail apply, and we tend to see more underground construction or usage of extant rights-of-way.

- HSR in Europe is frequently twinned with motorways. It is not about integration with cars, since those alignments are rarely if ever meant to have major stops in their middle. Instead, it’s about picking a pre-impacted alignment, where there are fewer property takings and fewer NIMBYs. This logic is sound, but I often see Americans take it to extremes when discussing HSR. --- The first problem is that roads are almost never as straight as HSR needs to be. The design standards I have seen after briefly Googling give the radius of a motorway capable of about 120 km/h as, at a minimum, 500-700 meters. With these curves, trains, too, are capable of achieving about 120 km/h – less at 500 meters without tilting, more at 700 meters with tilting.

- But the most fundamental problem is that the contentious experiences of the freeway revolts and modern-day NIMBYism have soured Americans on any process that involves brazen takings. What I mean by brazen is that carving a new right-of-way, especially through a populated area, looks obvious on a map. In contrast, sticking to a preexisting right-of-way and incrementally widening it or straightening curves is less controversial, even when it involves eminent domain as well, and opposition remains much more local, based on the specific properties being taken, rather than stated in general principles. I am not completely sure why this is so; my suspicion is that widening and straightening are more easily justified as things that must be done, whereas a new right-of-way looks gratuitous.

- In either way, Americans have convinced themselves that NIMBYs are a major obstacle to infrastructure construction. While zoning is a notoriously NIMBY-prone process, infrastructure often isn’t. In the English common law world, expropriations are if anything easier than in France, where farmers are especially powerful, or Japan, where rioters threatened to block the construction of Narita Airport. NIMBYs are good at getting their names out in the media, but when it comes to blocking construction, they are relatively powerless; California HSR is facing NIMBYs in the Central Valley, many of whom are conservative and politically opposed to the project regardless of local impact, but so far they have not managed to delay construction.

- However, NIMBYs are a convenient bogeyman for public projects, as their motives are openly selfish. They give charismatic, authoritarian leaders the opportunity to portray their infrastructure projects as battles between the common good and backward-looking parochial interests. As I’ve noted multiple times before, New York’s livable streets community (which is similar politically to the set of HSR supporters in the US) tends to overblow the importance of NIMBYs to the point of seeing NIMBYs even when the concerns have nothing to do with NIMBYism: see, for example, the reaction to the opposition of two Harlem politicians to a plan to speed up only the whitest bus route through the neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 11:05 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I always wondered about this. Unfortunately, not all highways have medians, which would make building rails more complex.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I always wondered about this. Unfortunately, not all highways have medians, which would make building rails more complex.
Just felt like commenting on the title without reading the article huh?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 3:02 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I-90 on the west side of cleveland was originally built to have rail down the median. unfortunately it never happened.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 6:51 PM

We only have one of these, thankfully. MARTA's Red Line Buckhead Station is in the median of GA 400, but it's one of the better freeway median stations I've seen.

There are decorative sound walls separating the platform from the freeway, and the station entrance is on a very highly developed urban segment of Peachtree. GA 400 was built in a tunnel below Peachtree, and one of the very hard-fought agreements to its construction was incorporating MARTA rail in the median. This was the last freeway segment that will ever be constructed inside of I-285 in Atlanta in any of our lifetimes.

To increase connectivity and tap into massive development on both sides of the Northern end of the platform, MARTA opened a new station entrance and pedestrian bridges across 400 earlier this Summer.

http://www.itsmarta.com/buckhead-bridge-project.aspx

Last edited by atlantaguy; Sep 7, 2014 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 7:37 PM

It's hardly ideal, but makes a lot of sense, because of lower costs.

NYC had postwar plans for subway and commuter rail expansions along freeway and parkway medians, but Moses cancelled these plans. It's really a shame that the region missed this opportunity largely due to Moses.

The whole "but it doesn't allow for transit oriented development" while true, kind of misses the point of transit. Transit is primarily intended to move people, not to create walkable communities. That's a secondary side benefit in some cases.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 8:59 PM

Particularly for commuter rail routes for transport people long distances. Although feeder routes to those stations would be crucial.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 9:04 PM
TL;DR

Well, yes... It was a tantalizing idea in the 1960s to build a "high-speed" LIRR railway down the middle of the Long Island Expressway but I don't know how successful it would have been. The environment around the LIE is not exactly transit-conducive, and the high cost of Manhattan parking has pretty much pushed core commuters onto transit anyway.

LIRR was pretty wretched at the time but it ended up modernizing, building extensive grade separations and running frequent trains on several branches.

The only problem with the status-quo is that several traditional downtowns along the LIRR like Mineola and Hicksville basically gutted their downtowns to serve the same park-n-ride crowd that might have gone to the new line instead.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 10:06 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

A portion of Philadelphia's Market-Frankford El runs in the median of I-95 with one station. It's fun to see on the train.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 10:52 PM

I've always thought it was cool the way MARTA ran down the median of the Georgia 400 freeway.

Picture by Curtis Compton of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 12:46 AM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 12:55 AM

Denver's I-225 branch runs through the highway median with two stations.

To me, those stations seemed more disjointed from the community than the rest of the stations, which are either at-grade or built along the side of the highway ROW. Denver is one of the few cities to put grade-separated rail on the sides of highways primarily, instead of the median.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 5:53 AM

As cool as they look, I've always felt median trains to be highly impractical. It just doesn't make sense why people would want to be dropped off in the middle of a freeway. There's nothing there other than the station. Chicago has these too, I cringe to think how I would make use of them if I lived in the city. I would have to do even more walking than what was necessary to get to my destination. In the winter it has to be even worse. They should not be a model for future developments, even taking into account costs.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:59 PM
Urbane observer

The practicality is in being able to get a linear right-of-way. In the 1950s and 60s, when Chicago built its three lines, there just weren't any other options for building new rapid transit lines, as transit didn't yet receive any public subsidies.

The drawbacks of median transit lines are now well understood, but transit in the US is still all too often put where the right-of-way is cheap rather than where it is needed.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:23 PM

highway corridors usually have fairly low transit ridership figures, the line in Toronto that runs through the highway median is the lowest ridership of the 4 main lines in and out of downtown.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
highway corridors usually have fairly low transit ridership figures, the line in Toronto that runs through the highway median is the lowest ridership of the 4 main lines in and out of downtown.
The just opened Green Line LRT in Minneapolis-St. Paul was originally supposed to be built along a highway, but was changed to operate along an arterial road.

The highway alignment was projected to carry around 30% or 40% more riders than the current alignment along University Ave. The reason? Faster speeds and less station stops.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:54 AM
TL;DR

I seriously question those projections, and suggest that the design of the Green Line does not do enough to prioritize rail traffic on University Avenue. Speed is valuable but a highway-median light rail line wouldn't do diddly-squat to change development patterns in the Twin Cities, which is the whole point.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 1:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
As cool as they look, I've always felt median trains to be highly impractical. It just doesn't make sense why people would want to be dropped off in the middle of a freeway. There's nothing there other than the station. Chicago has these too, I cringe to think how I would make use of them if I lived in the city. I would have to do even more walking than what was necessary to get to my destination. In the winter it has to be even worse. They should not be a model for future developments, even taking into account costs.
I agree. They should probably bury these freeway eyesores anyway for more housing/walkable streets.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I seriously question those projections, and suggest that the design of the Green Line does not do enough to prioritize rail traffic on University Avenue. Speed is valuable but a highway-median light rail line wouldn't do diddly-squat to change development patterns in the Twin Cities, which is the whole point.
Check out the Transport Politic article about it. Development is the reason they put it down University Ave, after the City of St. Paul insisted.

However is transit's main goal development, or moving people? If in this case the highway alignment attracted more people, should we not have built that?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 6:55 AM

If worked out correctly I think it's very practical. And it looks cool. Yes, just that! Looks very cool. I am especially fond of the Atlanta one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation