HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:38 PM

Saw this rendering on the Hobgood Architect website. It's a boutique hotel called the Ark Royal proposed in the Warehouse District for an unnamed client. We'll see what happens. Lots going on in the City of Oaks!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:19 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitfirefighter View Post
Saw this rendering on the Hobgood Architect website. It's a boutique hotel called the Ark Royal proposed in the Warehouse District for an unnamed client. We'll see what happens. Lots going on in the City of Oaks!
Here's another rendering by Hobgood for renovation of Hartwell Realty at Fayetteville Street:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:07 PM
Oak City

New 6 floor residential coming to old Greyhound bus depot site in Raleigh:

Details/source

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 3:33 AM
Oak City

Some news out of Raleigh's (kinda) sister city Durham:

Site work as been done on Durham City Center tower for a couple months but they are dragging their feet on getting it off the ground. It will be downtown Durham's new tallest when built. The developer's website now has some updated renderings, however:

Source

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 7:39 PM
Oak City

Raleigh: North Hills Tower II update:

Source

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 2:37 AM
Oak City

Ground was broken on a five floor luxury apartment building on Raleigh's Hillsborough Street across from NC State.

Source

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 2:39 PM
Oak City

New renderings of Charter Square North tower in Raleigh. Charter Square South (the one on the right) opened in June.

Last edited by initiald; Aug 17, 2015 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 3:30 PM

Stopped by North Hills yesterday for some drinks with friends. Grabbed a cell phone pic of Tower 2 U/C. Looks like it has 3 or 4 floors to go.

104 Dartmouth is now above ground as well.

[IMG]North Hills Tower 2 U/C by pluguglie435, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
New renderings of Charter Square North tower in Raleigh. Charter Square South (the one on the right) opened in June.

I feel like these renderings are off a little bit, specifically the last one. I think the north tower will actually be a little taller than shown. One Progress Plaza is 276' and this tower is designed at 316'. The renderings don't seem to reflect it. Maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:18 PM
Oak City

New renderings of Midtown Plaza (in North Hills, Raleigh). It will be the new headquarters of Allscripts.

Permits were issued this week to begin foundation work. Details/source.

Also in North Hills, a quick snap I took last week of North Hills Tower II:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 5:34 AM

Im so ready for this coming year. So many buildings going up.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 12:44 PM

2016 is definitely going to a busy year for Raleigh. Off the top of my head I think there are at least 6 towers planned for downtown and a handful of apartments either under construction or planned. I wish someone was good enough with Photoshop to create some new pics of the skyline with all of the projects that are on deck. I'm a little curious to see more pics of the latest Kane proposal for the Warehouse District, but I have no doubts this project will move fast now that it's been approved.

Speaking of Kane, I saw this rendering on Urban Planet. It's apparently from a sales flyer and it shows the latest rendering for the North Hills expansion at full build out. Looks pretty ambitious. If you look at the site plans it sort of makes sense. Those twin residential towers are pretty cool. According to a Kane representative via Facebook, 100 Plaza (now officially named Park Central) and the AC Hotel will begin construction in Q4 of this year.

[IMG]north hills expansion by pluguglie435, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]N Hills Plot Plan by pluguglie435, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 1:02 PM

This is random, but am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that they're planning a light rail system with no stops at RDU in the initial phase? I'll even go a step further and suggest a "stadium complex" stop as well. I think they're wasting their money by thinking that commuters and visitors to the area will want to transfer in RTP and take a bus to the airport. I wouldn't use it simply for that reason. TRAX in Salt Lake City has it figured out. 3 lines, one with a stop at the airport as the start/terminus of the line with direct access to downtown & transfers. It's awesome. Think of the mixed use development potential around the Edwards Mill & Wade Ave area with a light rail stop. There's enough land there, that for the right price could be turned into a legit planned urban grid system neighborhood. I also consider all the people with ties to Raleigh and the Triangle that might want to fly in to RDU, grab a train to a game or a concert and stay in the area. People would do it! All these die hard NCSU Alumni living elsewhere would make somebody a lot of money. Oh well, that's just my opinion. Rant over.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
This is random, but am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that they're planning a light rail system with no stops at RDU in the initial phase? I'll even go a step further and suggest a "stadium complex" stop as well. I think they're wasting their money by thinking that commuters and visitors to the area will want to transfer in RTP and take a bus to the airport. I wouldn't use it simply for that reason. TRAX in Salt Lake City has it figured out. 3 lines, one with a stop at the airport as the start/terminus of the line with direct access to downtown & transfers. It's awesome. Think of the mixed use development potential around the Edwards Mill & Wade Ave area with a light rail stop. There's enough land there, that for the right price could be turned into a legit planned urban grid system neighborhood. I also consider all the people with ties to Raleigh and the Triangle that might want to fly in to RDU, grab a train to a game or a concert and stay in the area. People would do it! All these die hard NCSU Alumni living elsewhere would make somebody a lot of money. Oh well, that's just my opinion. Rant over.
IMO you can say there IS going to be a stop at the stadium complex - it will be the fairgrounds station. Sure it's about a half mile walk to the football stadium and 3/4 mile to the coliseum, but particularly for football games, there are plenty of people who walk that far or more from wherever they parked to get to the game. If you put it right next to the stadium frankly you'll wind up with too many people trying to use it, since everybody leaves sporting events all at once. The infrastructure wouldn't be able to handle it, and everybody would wind up waiting around for 45 minutes for a train to finally come and pick them up. Making it a 10~15 minute walk away makes it a convenient choice for people who are willing to walk a bit. All they have to do is build adequate, well-lit pedestrian infrastructure; a tunnel under Trinity Road at the corner of Youth Center Drive is actually already planned so that's the biggest barrier out of the way already.

I too would like a station at RDU, but it's more complicated than the "no brainer" that people make it out to be.

It would probably get reasonable ridership. Figure you can realistically get 5% of airline passengers to take the train, which would be about 1500 per day, plus another 1000 or so per day for employees. However, in terms of ridership per mile it would be pitifully low since you have to go by three miles of basically nothing to get there from the rail corridor. In terms of ridership per dollar it would be even worse since getting to RDU would involve crossing lots of wetlands, expensive flyovers of I-40 and all the airport access freeways, and a complicated route probably involving tunneling to weave through the buildings, facilities, roads, and even runways themselves at the airport.

If this were to happen, they'll need to plan for it whenever they get around to redeveloping the hourly parking deck in front of Terminal 2. Leave space for a below-grade rail station on the bottom floor, and connect it to T2 with a new tunnel under the access road, and to T1 by the atrium-like corridor through the daily parking deck. Maybe even throw in a medium-sized on-premesis airport hotel within the terminal complex.

One element that I do think is missing from the transit plan is good access to and between various Midtown destinations. I could see a bus rapid transit line along the northern arc of the beltline with stops at New Bern/WakeMed, Capital Boulevard, Atlantic/Highwoods, Wake Forest Road, North Hills East, North Hills West, and Crabtree Valley Mall. From there I could see an extension that somehow hits the Lake Boone Trail/Rex Hospital/Duraleigh&Edwards Mill area.

The dedicated lanes already exist: buses could run with traffic when it's not congested, but use BOSS (bus on shoulder system) to travel on the shoulder when there is congestion. Stations could be built in the surplus land next to interchange loops and ramps.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 3:52 PM
Oak City

New renderings of North Hills developments:

Park Central (plaza)

AC Hotel:

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 9:30 PM

According to WRAL, North Hills Tower 4 officially broke ground this morning. http://www.wral.com/north-hills-brea...ower/15160233/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:20 PM
Oak City

Quote:
According to WRAL, North Hills Tower 4 officially broke ground this morning.
I think they are actually pretty far along on this tower. It might be a different building, but there is a steel framed building going up along 440 right about in this spot that is already on the 4th floor or so. I'll swing by this week and snap a few photos of it and of the North Hills Tower II.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Some news out of Raleigh's (kinda) sister city Durham:

Site work as been done on Durham City Center tower for a couple months but they are dragging their feet on getting it off the ground. It will be downtown Durham's new tallest when built. The developer's website now has some updated renderings, however:

Source

Has there been any news on this? I'm a bit nervous as a recent transplant from Nashville that this might turn into the Triangle's own "West End Summit".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_End_Summit

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 5:48 PM
Oak City

Engineering Oval - next phase of NC State's Centennial Campus in Raleigh:

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:01 PM

Where does downtown Raleigh stand on new hotels being built? There was a Embassy Suite announced, is it under construction?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations