HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:45 PM

Doors Open Winnipeg 2018

Doors Open Winnipeg Site

It's almost here! This weekend is the annual Doors Open Winnipeg event - 90+ buildings, tours, and special events dedicated to celebrating and
exploring some of the best public (and private) spaces in Winnipeg. Like any good Winnipeger, I am very excited about the start of our summer festival season.

This is the first time in a decade that I haven't had a job that required working this weekend. Hoping to start up a discussion thread about who's going where, and afterwards an opportunity to discuss with those who attended. For a first time Doors Opener like myself: Any recommendations/top tips for the most interesting tours, strategies to get into the more popular tours, and anything special for this year's event?

Here's what's on my personal list so far:

Vaughan Street Jail - 444 York Avenue

May 26, 2018 & May 27, 2018
Saturday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm

A consistent winner of the best tour award, this seems like a no-brainer visit for anyone who hasn't been before. This year doesn't appear to feature any actors populating the cells with historic convicts as they've done in the past, but an opportunity to explore the interior of the oldest province-owned building in Manitoba is still neat.

Ukrainian Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral of Sts Vladimir and Olga - 115 McGregor Street

May 26, 2018 & May 27, 2018
Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm

Another past award winner, this 2013-14 hidden gem winner apparently has a well adorned interior with tapestries and murals and a number of stained glass windows designed by Leo Mol.

CN 2747 - 735 Kildare Avenue West

May 26, 2018
Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm

An opportunity to get closer than usually allowed to the decommissioned locomotive out in Transcona - the first locomotive built in western Canada, right in Transcona. Directly beside the Transcona Greenway bike path, this seems like a great stop along a Saturday afternoon bike ride.

Happy Doors Opening!

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 6:08 PM

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:29 PM
Armchair urbanist

lol ^

"Yeah, GEli!! What do you think this is some kind of forum where we discuss Winnipeg buildings, architecture, history and the like!?!?!"

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:47 PM

well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking at this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view and by trying to make it objective, and by considering each and everyone's valid opinion, i honestly believe i completely forgot what i was going to say.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:03 PM

Vaughn Street Jail would be cool to check out.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan