HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:52 PM

Duplicate

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:54 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:04 PM

Amazon said about 20 or 30 cities would be short listed.

While Canada may be a long shot, I can see a couple of our cities making that short list. I can understand why people place New York City, Denver, Austin, Miami, San Fran, Los Angeles, Boston, Atlanta, maybe Phoenix, Charlotte, Dallas, Sacramento.

That's 12 cities. To round out a list of 30, I could definitely see Toronto, Montreal, maybe even Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton making the cut. 30 cities for a short list is a lot, and I don't see it being out of the question with 27 American cities and 3 Canadian in the mix.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:54 PM

I take it all the provinces/states shown in dark green on the website have submitted a proposal. That includes Alaska... One can always dream.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Well then, there are nearly 200 cities that bid that had no place in doing so given their population. I'd say trimming it down to 30 cities will be extremely easy.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:26 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I take it all the provinces/states shown in dark green on the website have submitted a proposal. That includes Alaska... One can always dream.
I'm curious what other Washington State cities made a bid... Vancouver?

Stonecrest, Georgia has voted to change its name to Amazon. The city has also offered to install Bezos as the de-facto mayor of Amazon, Ga. LOL leg up for metro Atlanta!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:47 PM

I am sure the first go round will be quite easy. Places they just do not want to go. Then take out the ones treating it as a joke. The final 30 will be interesting to see. It may show what they are truly look for. If Canadian cities make the cut, there may be a very good chance for Canada to get it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 8:56 PM

Trimming down the list to 20-30 serious candidates will be done quickly. All they have to do is eliminate cities that don't meet one of the major criteria, Mexican and territorial (i.e Puerto Rico) candidates and places that they just flat out don't want to go to (maybe a place like Cincinnati?). I think at least a couple of Canadian cities (of the Big 6) will make it.

I'm curious if they will announce which cities made the shortlist. I still have my bets on one of either Denver, Austin or Boston will be selected but thats just me.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:35 PM

I have to wonder how much pressure the US government would put on Amazon if the shortlist includes Canadian cities?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:39 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I have to wonder how much pressure the US government would put on Amazon if the shortlist includes Canadian cities?
Perhaps it's pressure from the US gov that's partially triggering this move.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Perhaps it's pressure from the US gov that's partially triggering this move.
Yes, one wonders about that too, given the call to "North American" cities.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:37 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Bid to bring Amazon’s 2nd headquarters to Winnipeg highlights Winnie the Pooh, Ebola research

https://globalnews.ca/news/3814441/b...bola-research/

LOL!

Winnipeg, "murder capital" of Canada. Winnipeg, where they don't put sand on icy streets in the Winter.

Winnipeg Transit is just too unsafe to ride. Why just yesterday (Wed.) two separate incidents where 1) Transit driver was attacked 2) Transit passenger was strangled.. (CBC Manitoba story) and on the weekend 3) 16 yo. steals another teens purse and then hurts the driver.

Winnipeg, is in Manitoba, home to an 8% Provincial Sales Tax.

Winnipeg, a metro area (but we don't call it that) of 800,000, yet we solely rely on New Flyer stinky, noisy diesel buses "Made in Manitoba". Great.

We couldn't "afford" to have Amazon here, because Winnipeg is the hub of the DUMB (Deep Underground Military Base) transport system...a kind like Elon Musk is just proposing now, actually exists now...Can't dig too deep below Winterpeg because you just might "hit" the DUMB.

Yes, Amazon, invest in Winnipeg... home of Winnie the Shit. No really, Poo = Shit.

Winnipeg is truly a DUMP, according to one on-going web forum thread since 2008

It's not that I don't want Amazon to open up an office/warehouse, whatever...

It's more like, we're not ready for something that big.

At one time though, several decades back, the T. Eaton Co. chose Winnipeg, yes, Winnipeg as its chief location to PRINT the Eaton's Catalogue. They printed the catalogues HERE, until the 1976 edition when Eaton's foolishly abandoned print catalogues...Could have stopped printing catalogues in 1996 when the Internet went mainstream...Ooops.

That's why we had the Eaton's Mail Order building (1916-current) next to the (former) T. Eaton Co. Department Store (1905-2002).

I'd give the jobs to the GTA, where they HAVE the transport infrastructure -- Freeways, TTC buses,streetcars, subways, commuter rail and commuter bus.

Maybe Hamilton, Ont., a nearby BIG CITY, not in T.O. itself or Mississauga, Ont as they alreay have tonnes of similar (shipping) industry.

Well hopefully Amazon reads this and your wish for no big new employers in MB comes true... I guess?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Well hopefully Amazon reads this and your wish for no big new employers in MB comes true... I guess?
Where on earth did you read that? In the link you provided is an article related to Winnipeg's bid I didn't see anything in the comments section (only 1 comment actually) that remotely resembling what you posted.

There's a few mistruths in the article. They actually do put sand on the streets in Winnipeg when it's icy although maybe it is not as often as some would like. In regards to plowing, I have seen articles from places like Edmonton (and possibly Calgary) that regard Winnipeg plowing frequency and the fleet of plowing vehicles as superior to their own.

The 8% PST is certainly not an incentive...I can give them that.

Assaults on the bus? I am pretty sure that happens in every city and we don't know the frequency it happens in other cities in relation to Winnipeg. I'm not sure how that would be of any significance to a company to Amazon. Stealing a purse of the bus? Stop the presses!

Winnipeg is not the murder capital of Canada. In fact one of the cities who bid on Amazon has a higher murder rate than Winnipeg last year and will again this year. Winnipeg did not even make the top-5 list of murders per capita in Canada.

The buses are fine as the main mass transit source in a city this size. The problem is the lack of rapid transit. The city has still not finished the first line to the southwest and another line is only in the planning stages. A city this size should have had a fully planned and implemented rapid bus transit system at this point - 4 to 6 major routes extending to all parts of the city. I think the absolutely earliest that will happen is 2030 - 2035. Definitely a strike against the city.

Rapid rail service would be nice but is prohibitively expensive...nearly three times the cost of bus rapid transit. It's just not a feasible option at this point.

Some of the other comments do not even deserve a response. Winnie the shit!? WTF!? And the silly comment about Eatons and the catalogues? Who cares and how is it relevant?

The author of these comments might very well be one of those bitter patrons of the city who constantly complains about it but does little to help out his/her community like volunteering. And I'm not sure his comments about Toronto are not entirely accurate. While the infrastructure in Toronto blows past Winnipeg's for obvious reasons, it is not particularly impressive for a city of its size. The subway and freeways should see vast improvement more befitting a city the size of Toronto.

I do think it is a waste of resources on the city's and province's part to partake in this bid for Amazon's 2nd headquarters. It's more of a vanity bid if anything. One of the biggest impediments in my mind is the city size and relatively small labour pool. Amazon will require 50,000 individuals to fill the positions for their new headquarters and I somehow doubt they would find the depth in each required job field in a city of Winnipeg's size. The city would do better to aggressively court smaller fish.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 11:48 PM

In my opinion these are the top 5 most likely cities to get HQ2:

1. Atlanta (strong feeling it will go here due to East Coast proximity, low cost of housing, one of the biggest airports in North America, decent talent pool, warm weather, etc)

2. Boston

3. Austin

4. Toronto

5. Pittsburgh

Last edited by travis3000; Oct 27, 2017 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post

1. Atlanta (strong feeling it will go here due to East Coast proximity, low cost of housing, one of the biggest airports in North America, decent talent pool, warm weather, etc)

2. Boston

3. Austin

4. Toronto

5. Pittsburgh
Paddy's seems to agree they have Atlanta with the best odds, Calgary is 66:1, Toronto 12:1 but Calgary's ".... Fight a bear for you...." ad is pretty funny!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...odds-1.4371349

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:

1. Atlanta (strong feeling it will go here due to East Coast proximity, low cost of housing, the biggest airport in the world, decent talent pool, warm weather, etc)

2. Boston

3. Austin

4. Toronto

5. Pittsburgh
There I fixed it for you, lol

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
There I fixed it for you, lol
True enough. But one thing about US airports, I find they are often just for connections used by their own citizens. If you look at International Passengers, Atlanta is back at 11 million, and Toronto is at 27 million. Toronto could never compete with these US numbers as we have 35 million people VS their 320 million. Their domestic numbers will always dwarf ours.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:57 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
True enough. But one thing about US airports, I find they are often just for connections used by their own citizens. If you look at International Passengers, Atlanta is back at 11 million, and Toronto is at 27 million.
2017 Megahubs International Index released earlier this week reveals the 50 most internationally connected airports. Airports are ranked by comparing the number of scheduled connections to and from international flights with the number of destinations served from the airport. Toronto was ranked as the 5th best connected airport in the world and it's connectivity to the world that counts more than overall passenger numbers.

Top 50 airports with the most connectivity in the world

Link to article: http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanco...nectivity-2017

Quote:
Toronto could never compete with these US numbers as we have 35 million people VS their 320 million. Their domestic numbers will always dwarf ours.
Air Canada is positioning both Toronto and Vancouver as global hubs instead of their previous role as Canadian hubs so the population of Canada vs the USA is irrelevant. Toronto Pearson could one day be the busiest airport on the continent.

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 27, 2017 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:

I agree that if you're going to have two HQs and one is already in Seattle then Atlanta is a great match to complete the pair. If your staff finds one too expensive, too sprawly, too rainy, too hot, too liberal, too conservative, too far away from home on the other coast, etc. well then there's the other one they can work in.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:28 PM
recession proof

Detroit makes a lot of sense: close to many self-driving startups & the automotive business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada