HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13081  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 9:33 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Not to toot my own horn, but I called Primark to the Fashion District like over a year ago, lol. Maybe two years ago now.

Zara will be announced soon for FDP.

Also hear through the grapevine a Bloomingdale's, but not sure how legit that is and if there is even anymore space for a Bloomies.
We so need one. I can't see where the space for that would be at FDP. Not a full line, anyway. The Candytopia space is too small, right? (I'd love to see a second Apple store go there when it leaves). I still would love to see Bloomies at the Disney Hole and perhaps pull in some higher end stores around it on the Southern side of East Market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13082  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:56 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,383
^
To truly make it a Fashion District, they should add the stores you mentioned. The more the merrier kind of thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13083  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:03 PM
New2Fishtown New2Fishtown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 154
AMC opens this Monday

I found this article by googling "AMC Fashion District 8 opening date" because I was curious about whether I could see something over Thanksgiving. It was posted this morning, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on Inquirer.com directly. Go figure. Either way, hugely exciting to have this crucial piece up and running in a few days.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/amc-fa...-20191030.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13084  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:09 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,893
Seven Story Building Edging Closer at 40th & Market?

]



http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...er-40th-market
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13085  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:10 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,893
Fresh Renderings For Upcoming South Quarter Crossing Renovation











http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ing-renovation
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13086  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:19 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Exhausted Drexel Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: University City, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Fresh Renderings For Upcoming South Quarter Crossing Renovation











http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ing-renovation
What a disgraceful waste of land and money.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13087  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 8:52 PM
Vince_ Vince_ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
What a disgraceful waste of land and money.
Have you ever been over there? It's an ugly and desolate shopping center that is nowhere near any subway or regional rail. This is a gigantic upgrade compared to what is there. I'm shocked to see apartments, not sure who would want to live over there but glad they are included.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13088  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:25 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Philly
Posts: 1,038
PATCO Franklin Square renderings: http://ridepatco.org/projects/frankl...e-station.html

A few more at the link. Website says construction beginning Fall 2020. Probs belongs in the transportation thread but putting here for visibility...







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13089  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 11:37 PM
Hrytsyu Hrytsyu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Have you ever been over there? It's an ugly and desolate shopping center that is nowhere near any subway or regional rail. This is a gigantic upgrade compared to what is there. I'm shocked to see apartments, not sure who would want to live over there but glad they are included.
You are correct regarding the plan being a vast improvement upon the current development.

The residential component is located near the thoroughfare leading to the Girard Estate Park. That should provide some residential attraction. However, the remainder of the project is a parking lot Bermuda Triangle. I cannot imagine 50% of the units facing that, in addition to 25% more facing a multilevel car park and the balance viewing the roof of a strip mall. This really is not well-conceived.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13090  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:27 PM
Londonee Londonee is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Have you ever been over there? It's an ugly and desolate shopping center that is nowhere near any subway or regional rail. This is a gigantic upgrade compared to what is there. I'm shocked to see apartments, not sure who would want to live over there but glad they are included.
Agreed. The neighboring Home Depot is my go to spot, so I'm down in this brutal stretch often. The people who built this stuff originally should be jailed. It's criminal how awful they destroyed the 'hood and streetscape.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13091  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:39 PM
Londonee Londonee is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Also hear through the grapevine a Bloomingdale's, but not sure how legit that is and if there is even anymore space for a Bloomies.
I wonder if it could be a part of a separate development across the street from FD? Doesn't PREIT own most of the 1000 block?

Also in other FD news - the new wine/dine AMC is opening November 4th.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/amc-fa...-20191030.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13092  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:41 PM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post
You are correct regarding the plan being a vast improvement upon the current development.

The residential component is located near the thoroughfare leading to the Girard Estate Park. That should provide some residential attraction. However, the remainder of the project is a parking lot Bermuda Triangle. I cannot imagine 50% of the units facing that, in addition to 25% more facing a multilevel car park and the balance viewing the roof of a strip mall. This really is not well-conceived.
Here's news for you. Some people don't mind looking at parking lots, especially if they can actually park there.

It's a 10,000% improvement over what's there already. Remember, there are a lot of people in that community (especially south of Oregon Avenue) who think Packer Park is a suburb and want to keep it that way. I think this strikes a nice balance in increasing density, while improving the urbanity and streetscape along Oregon Avenue. Remember, the same company developing these buildings still owns the entire parcel, including what remains parking.

If it is successful, I'm sure they will come back in future years and build even more residential buildings on the lot. It would be interesting to see one building go up as condos, as there is clearly a market in far South Philly for re-patriated Italians from Washington Township NJ, it's just that what they've been offered so far are suburban style townhomes. I bet you a well done condo building with high end finishes in a "development" like this would sell like hotcakes.

Anyway, I think this serves as a model for strip centers all over outlying neighborhoods in Philadelphia. I'd love to see the old Shopping Centers on Aramingo Avenue in Port Richmond go this route, as well as some of the strip centers on upper Ridge Avenue at the edges of Roxborough.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13093  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:10 PM
cardeza cardeza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post
You are correct regarding the plan being a vast improvement upon the current development.

The residential component is located near the thoroughfare leading to the Girard Estate Park. That should provide some residential attraction. However, the remainder of the project is a parking lot Bermuda Triangle. I cannot imagine 50% of the units facing that, in addition to 25% more facing a multilevel car park and the balance viewing the roof of a strip mall. This really is not well-conceived.
There are strip malls all over the city. It's not unheard of by any stretch.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13094  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:48 PM
Justin7 Justin7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Here's news for you. Some people don't mind looking at parking lots, especially if they can actually park there.

It's a 10,000% improvement over what's there already. Remember, there are a lot of people in that community (especially south of Oregon Avenue) who think Packer Park is a suburb and want to keep it that way. I think this strikes a nice balance in increasing density, while improving the urbanity and streetscape along Oregon Avenue. Remember, the same company developing these buildings still owns the entire parcel, including what remains parking.

If it is successful, I'm sure they will come back in future years and build even more residential buildings on the lot. It would be interesting to see one building go up as condos, as there is clearly a market in far South Philly for re-patriated Italians from Washington Township NJ, it's just that what they've been offered so far are suburban style townhomes. I bet you a well done condo building with high end finishes in a "development" like this would sell like hotcakes.

Anyway, I think this serves as a model for strip centers all over outlying neighborhoods in Philadelphia. I'd love to see the old Shopping Centers on Aramingo Avenue in Port Richmond go this route, as well as some of the strip centers on upper Ridge Avenue at the edges of Roxborough.
Are you in any way connected to this development?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13095  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:48 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It's a 10,000% improvement over what's there already. Remember, there are a lot of people in that community (especially south of Oregon Avenue) who think Packer Park is a suburb and want to keep it that way. I think this strikes a nice balance in increasing density, while improving the urbanity and streetscape along Oregon Avenue. Remember, the same company developing these buildings still owns the entire parcel, including what remains parking.
Dude. They are literally putting a loading dock at the corner of 23rd and Oregon, and making the Oregon Avenue streetwall nothing but blank walls. In what universe is that "improving the urbanity and streetscape" along Oregon Avenue?

This is an extremely poorly thought-out project that needs to go back to the drawing board IMO.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13096  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 3:12 AM
DocAwesome's Avatar
DocAwesome DocAwesome is offline
The Doctor Is In
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Franklintown
Posts: 138
On one hand this North side of Quartermaster is absolutely, hands down, the worst pedestrian experience in any parking lot in Philadelphia in its current form. Or at least bottom 3. You can not go from Girard Park to the Shoprite two blocks away without walking in roads and anything that would add a sidewalk if nothing else is a miracle. Having the Apartments (of which viability to me is still in question) near the park is a win imo and I assume the parking garage facilitates them.
Transitwise the apartments would be acceptably served by the 17, one of the best used and useful lines in the city.

The blueprints though still are massively heavy on the sporadic lots and I just don't see their long term vision in trying to connect the buildings in the pedestrian fashion so heavily emphasized in their renderings.

I don't expect Oregon/24th will ever be a pedestrian oasis - it's functionally a funnel to 76 but I would hope that once off Oregon you could attach it to the existing neighborhood which is absolutely intact.

Also - and this is admittedly completely pedantic - but whenever discussing this area generally you can tell who knows the area well as opposed to those who are talking out of their ass by those who call it Girard Estate vs Girard Estates, respectively. Since they pluralize it I automatically deduct a point.

Still, a huge improvement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13097  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 9:56 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
After a bit more detectoring I realized the back end of the parking garage, along with Building I.2, both encroach on the Porter Street alignment. I am fine with I.2 being a temporary structure to protect the party wall which the demolition of the southern half of the existing strip will doubtless reveal, but I would also like some sort of commitment from the developers to reopen Porter through the site in future phases, which the parking garage encroachment actively prevents.

Also of note here, the south side of Building H actually faces the Shunk Street easement, which is clear all the way through the site. It's a bit of an awkwardly placed building, which no good place to put a backside at all!

That said, the loading dock placement on Building F remains an absolute deal-breaker for me: its NE corner directly fronts the loading way between Building G and the parking garage, so it's not like trucks won't be in that area to begin with. There is, and I repeat, there is no reason whatsoever why you should be placing the loading dock, with its attendant blank wall, along Oregon, especially if an end goal is to enliven one of the dreariest streetscapes in the entire city!
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13098  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 10:30 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 2,383
are b, g, f and i2 all going to be residential bldgs? If so, why not configure then in a box with open space in the center for the tenants to use as a park-like or courtyard setting? The parking garage is fine where it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13099  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 1:36 AM
DocAwesome's Avatar
DocAwesome DocAwesome is offline
The Doctor Is In
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Franklintown
Posts: 138
2424 and 2426 s 22nd street I believe are privately owned per OPA (by the neighboring property owner nonetheless), which exists in the Porter ROW. It would be fantastic to see a throughway though.

Quote:
iheartphilly are b, g, f and i2 all going to be residential bldgs?
I think just G
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13100  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:58 PM
cardeza cardeza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 412
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.