HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 5:20 PM
not a cynic

Edit: 25th Anniversary

Edit: 24 years on, the Broadway Chinden Connector revisited by a New Yorker

Bumping thread in response to Don Day covering the new emphasis on doing something about Front & Myrtle. If history is any indication, any revamp will take 20 years or more.

Don Day article of Oct 3, 2016: http://boisedev.com/news/2016/10/1/a...usiest-streets

Short synopsis. City of Boise and CCDC have hired NYC planner Sam Schwartz aka Dr Gridlock to take a look at Front & Myrtle. Issues arise because of multiple jurisdictions. ITD in particular owns Front & Myrtle signed as US Highway 20/26.

My point here, we need to look at history to see how we got here. Before the Broadway Chinden Connector we had only the Fairview Main couplet to handle traffic to and from the west. As early as the 70s and certainly by the 80s traffic on Fairview Main was becoming unmanageable. Simple as that.

Furthermore, much of the renaissance of downtown Boise can be attributed to the Broadway Chinden Connector and its ability to move people in and out of downtown.

I'm asserting the only reasonable, albeit very expensive solution is to bury Front and Myrtle for some number of blocks east of 13th.

August 1976

Last edited by boisecynic; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 5:31 PM
not a cynic

Let's explore some other ideas.

Why have Fairview and Main been neglected as a major transit corridor?

Front and Myrtle do NOT exist in a vacuum. We still have Fairview and Main. Take out the Cabana Inn and KBOI and straighten out the Cabana Curve. Make the westbound ramp from Main to I-184 longer and possibly 2 lanes wide.

Run a train out Fairview to the Mall and make a transit hub there, in the area.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:45 PM
not a cynic

August 8, 2017:

25th Anniversary of the Broadway Chinden Connector.

It's finally filling in and gaining some weight in the midsection.

For fun, time travel to 1990 and imagine I-184 ending at about Orchard and having to traverse Fairview/Main from the Boise River bridges all the way into and out of downtown. Imagine Bronco games and all the traffic having to go through the CBD.

Also, no word yet on anything from NYC's Dr. Gridlock urban planning guru regarding the future of Front/Myrtle. See the Don Day article from October: http://boisedev.com/news/2016/10/1/a...usiest-streets

Last edited by boisecynic; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
... all the traffic having to go through the CBD.
With all the growth between Front and Myrtle, it seems like the Chinden-Broadway connector does in fact go thru the CBD now!!! I know the State will never throw the cash down for it but I'd take a big dig project and just bury Front and Myrtle at this point.

I think you're transit comment from a year ago makes some sense. Though Fairview is loaded with commercial, I've leaned toward Emerald with the mall and dt being the end points. There's a rail spur that comes down to Emerald/orchard already and a lot of offices around St Als.

Cool research.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West