HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:08 AM

[QUOTE=alps;4890263]I wouldn't mind that in the eventual future as long as it doesn't look like the other Spryfield subdivisions of the past few years.

From this comment about Spryfield I don't think you are very familiar with the area an Arm crossing would serve. Check out the MLS listings in the communities surrounding Purcells Cove Road. Check out the listings for Ravenscraig or go to polycorp.ca.

Read today's allnovascotia.com - first article.

Pinehaven, Fairmount, Armdale, Stoneridge, Waterton buildings, future Rockcliffe Village, etc.

Spryfield is actually a small part of the catchment area

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:17 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM View Post
The most recent Statistics Canada census (2006) puts the population of Halifax at 369,455.

Per Access Nova Scotia's web site an average day in 2007 saw 23 births and 22 deaths for a net increase of 365 for the entire year.

Immigration to Nova Scotia is surely eclipsed by emmigration out of the province by those seeking work (especially when one considers that non - Nova Scotia university students are included in the census number above).

In short the current full-time population of Halifax is no where close to 400K.
The figure of 398k in July 2009 came from Statistics Canada. The number that you are quoting does not include the undercount. If you don't understand that fact then you shouldn't be stating such misinformation. In short, get your facts straight. Why do you think there is so much development is occurring in the HRM if the population has stagnated?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:20 AM

Quote:
From this comment about Spryfield I don't think you are very familiar with the area an Arm crossing would serve. Check out the MLS listings in the communities surrounding Purcells Cove Road. Check out the listings for Ravenscraig or go to polycorp.ca.

Pinehaven, Fairmount, Armdale, Stoneridge, Waterton buildings, future Rockcliffe Village, etc.

I hike around Colpitt/Williams Lakes often and park in the new subdivisions. Low-density cookie-cutter houses all around, not really the sort of thing worth building a bridge to encourage more of IMO.

Here's a possible exit point for a single-lane truck route through the rail cut, btw. I don't think it'd require any bridges or ramps. Does it sound plausible? There used to be two tracks running alongside each other but one was removed a couple years back so there's room for at least one lane-width of roadway.

Last edited by alps; Jun 25, 2010 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:38 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I hike around Colpitt/Williams Lakes often and park in the new subdivisions. Low-density cookie-cutter houses all around, not really the sort of thing worth building a bridge to encourage more of IMO.

Here's a possible exit point for a single-lane truck route through the rail cut, btw. I don't think it'd require any bridges or ramps. Does it sound plausible? There used to be two tracks running alongside each other but one was removed a couple years back so there's room for at least one lane.
Are you saying that the South End of Halifax is too good to be connected to the Mainland South End? Perhaps the people in the South End of Halifax have rights that the rest of the HRM don't have. Point Pleasant Park is regularly used by just a very small portion of the HRM. Why not make it accessible so that more people can enjoy it?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Are you saying that the South End of Halifax is too good to be connected to the Mainland South End?
Eh..? I'm worried about the type of development that would go up if the bridge were built.

Quote:
Point Pleasant Park is regularly used by just a very small portion of the HRM. Why not make it accessible so that more people can enjoy it?
I don't know where this became an issue, but those that live in Spryfield have a big piece of wilderness at Williams/Colpitt Lakes far superior to PPP and it seems backwards to build a bridge, have all that developed, just so they might drive over to Point Pleasant instead. I mean, not that I think this is the issue

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 4:13 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Eh..? I'm worried about the type of development that would go up if the bridge were built.
What type? Wouldn't the quality of development go up if it is within a 10 minute walk of the richest part of the city?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 4:15 AM

Probably not, just look at what was built on Southwood Dr. basically the only kind of suburban development we have in this city.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 4:29 AM

[QUOTE=HRM;4890608]
Quote:
I wouldn't mind that in the eventual future as long as it doesn't look like the other Spryfield subdivisions of the past few years.

Quote:

Here's a possible exit point for a single-lane truck route through the rail cut, btw. I don't think it'd require any bridges or ramps. Does it sound plausible? There used to be two tracks running alongside each other but one was removed a couple years back so there's room for at least one lane-width of roadway.
Please name the developments you are talking about. I'm pretty sure I know one you are talking about - there are similar developments all over the city. So you don't see the $1M properties along the Arm on your hikes and all the $500-600K properties around Williams Lake? Been to Pinehaven? All over $1M. Been to Fairmount?

Read the first article in today's allnovascotia.com. The $1M properties in Ravenscraig subdivision are off William's Lake Road.

The houses in Ravines of Bedford South are cookie cutters. Ugly brick facade after ugly brick facade. A requirement to build there is brick front facade - and the brick MUST be purchased from Shaws. That isn't cookie cutter?

Given the proximity of this entire area to the southend, downtown and PPP Spryfield as we know it today woulld virtually disappear if a crossing over/under the Arm was built.

You cannot build an argument by cherry picking your points and ignoring everything else.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 4:41 AM

I don't have an Allnovascotia subscription.

I've been to Fairmount, it's awful and most certainly "cookie-cutter". I don't equate high prices with quality and was more concerned with the "low-density" aspect of these developments anyway. I guess I should make it more clear than when I talk about "quality suburban development" I am referring to the type of thing Torontonians would call "smart growth" rather than sprawling, pricey developments with names like Ravenscraig.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 5:05 AM

Quote:
I don't have an Allnovascotia subscription.

I've been to Fairmount, it's awful and most certainly "cookie-cutter". I don't equate high prices with quality and was more concerned with the "low-density" aspect of these developments anyway. I guess I should make it more clear than when I talk about "quality suburban development" I am referring to the type of thing Torontonians would call "smart growth" rather than sprawling, pricey developments with names like Ravenscraig.
You think Toronto has smart growth? Mississauga isn't sprawling? If there is a Lego block city Mississauga is it. Been to downtown Toronto at night. Ghost town. The TTC is the worst public transit system in any major city in North America with slow, lumbering street cars, subway lines to nowhere and Greece-like moiuntains of debt.

Williams Lake area sprawling? You have got to be kidding. It takes 15-20 minutes to get downtown during morning rush hour - depending on the rotary. 10 -12 rest of the time.

Anyway why would I be thinking about what Torontonians consider to be "smart growth" when discussing a crossing over the Arm?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 5:13 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
You think Toronto has smart growth? Mississauga isn't sprawling? If there is a Lego block city Mississauga is it. Been to downtown Toronto at night. Ghost town. The TTC is the worst public transit system in any major city in North America with slow, lumbering street cars, subway lines to nowhere and Greece-like moiuntains of debt.
The only fact here is about the street cars. The subway system seems to be very efficient to me. I wouldn't consider downtown Toronto to be a ghost town at night. There are many attractions that draw people to the downtown during the evening. I would say that Toronto has a very vibrant downtown. During the summer, people attend Blue Jay games and during the winter, the Raptors and Maple Leafs. There are many performing arts centres in downtown Toronto that attract people to the city at night.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 5:20 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Probably not, just look at what was built on Southwood Dr. basically the only kind of suburban development we have in this city.
Southwood Dr. is in the city not the suburbs. I don't see the connection.

A North West Arm crossing is just as important for the Halifax peninsula as the Halifax mainland. The south end is running out of land. For example there is no room for such things as a municipal stadium. You can be sure that the south end will resist densification in their neighbourhoods.

A North West Arm crossing will actually result in less commuting time for many people.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 5:21 AM

Quote:
I work in downtown Toronto. Not sure when you went, but I find the area is much more happening than Halifax at night (particularly when Iggy Pop played last week ). Mississauga is sprawling, sure, but the area around Square One is (slowly) developing into a nice town centre. Anywho I am moreso talking about the general shift towards intensification taking place here and not about the mistakes made in the suburbs.

Quote:
Williams Lake area sprawling? You have got to be kidding. It takes 15-20 minutes to get downtown during morning rush hour - depending on the rotary. 10 -12 rest of the time.
Look at the area in Google Maps -- looks to me like very thoughtless low-density stuff. Distance from the city has nothing to do with it really.

Quote:
Anyway why would I be thinking about what Torontonians consider to be "smart growth" when discussing a crossing over the Arm?
I was just using that as an example of the sort of development I would rather see in our suburbs

Quote:
Southwood Dr. is in the city not the suburbs. I don't see the connection.
My point being that proximity to the city centre is not a guarantee that the development will be high quality, like you were suggesting.

Last edited by alps; Jun 25, 2010 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 6:37 AM

Post deleted by me.

Last edited by Canadian_Bacon; Jun 25, 2010 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 12:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I work in downtown Toronto. Not sure when you went, but I find the area is much more happening than Halifax at night (particularly when Iggy Pop played last week ). Mississauga is sprawling, sure, but the area around Square One is (slowly) developing into a nice town centre. Anywho I am moreso talking about the general shift towards intensification taking place here and not about the mistakes made in the suburbs.
This is mostly true but pretty separate from suburban development. Development is not a zero sum game, and it's simply wrong to view a house built in the suburbs as a lost apartment in the core. In reality I'm guessing the opposite is true, that high growth would encourage more inner-city development but that about 3/4 of it would end up in the suburbs. This is what's happening in cities like Toronto and Vancouver.

Either way, by far the biggest issue downtown is the fact that it takes a long time for buildings to be approved. Even banning suburban construction would not necessarily fix this issue. The next biggest problem is that the municipal price-to-performance ratio is messed up - central areas pay high taxes but do not receive higher than normal services, so this serves as a further disincentive to be in the core.

Something else to keep in mind is that Toronto has about 6,000,000 people and Halifax has about 400,000. If both cities were equally well-run, Toronto would still have more going on.

I do agree that Halifax is too quiet, but 70% of the cause for this is simply the lack of residents and workers. If the city made it very easy to develop downtown and about 20,000 new people moved in plus there were a bunch of public improvements (streetscape, library, etc.) the difference would be tremendous.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 6:22 PM

Quote:
You think Toronto has smart growth? Mississauga isn't sprawling?
There is a big difference between Toronto and Mississauga - which are two seperate corporate entities. Toronto has pretty much no greenfield development since the land area that it has is built out - where as Mississauga can sprawl. So from that perspective, Toronto is doing smart growth throughout the core. Vancouver is another good example of increasing urban density - I think one of the best examples in North America.4

Quote:
Williams Lake area sprawling?
Actually if you look at the Regional Plan's Future Land Use Map - much of the area is designated Urban reserve; so it's already been seen as an area for urban expansion. Combine this with the fact that the transportation map identifies a high speed ferry access route to Purcell's cove - I see this area as being prime for development.

That being said - a crossing on the arm will become necessary at some point because the simple fact is that the rotary can't really deal with the volume it has now; let alone more.

That being said; I'll go back to what I've said before about trying other things first - before going to a crossing. Set up a high speed ferry, improve the road network and then look at an arm crossing as a tunnel or a bridge. Perhaps one method to improve the road network is to consider making Quinpool a reversing lane street and improve the access point at the rotary - this way it could be 3 lanes into the core and then 3 lanes out of the core during rush hours?

Ultimately as the city grows; I think we mostly agree that this crossing will become important. Where we don't agree is how it should appear and where it should connect. Ultimately, when it comes to a decision - council will think of it from a cost/impact perspective. Build it as cheaply as possible (so that tax $'s are sucked into a bottomless pit) and in a way that impacts the residents of both sides in the least negative way. Personally, I think in the end two tunnels should be built (or bridges) - that connect from Robie and from South street - because no one seems to be thinking about the growth potential of Timberlea and their needs to get onto the peninsula either.

Downtown development (development in general) is not an easy process, but as the HT becomes weaker over time (let's face it - many of them are getting older and not many younger people are joining them because they seem them as a negative); the process should become less difficult, but there will always be people not wanting things to change. It's up to people like us, who believe in growth as a good thing, becoming better organized and supporting projects and getting out there and having our opinion known.

It's also up to planners with HRM to start looking at out of the box solutions to urban living/density and start really thinking about areas of potential that could become new urban villages like the Hydrostone (which by it's own natural evolution seems to be doing it on it's own with high density), Gottingen Street (huge area of lost potential density), Agricola, the car lot on Robie Street, the Young/Windsor Area and by the Sobey's on Windsor street (as examples). If in 20 years, all these areas were to become urban villages with a number of buildings even in the 10 to 15 storey range - that will significantly bulk up downtown numbers - potentially leading to improved activity in dowtown. But it will all come down to the choice of the consumer - until we get it out of people's heads that the 'Canadian dream' is owning a house in the burbs, then urban villages will remain concepts in HRM. I'm hopeful that with the population shift coming with the boomers retiring - that will change.

But the only way to actually improve downtown 'activity' (making it a busy place to be) is to look at things in a contextual approach. It's not just about building more apartment buildings and thinking 'build it they will come', there has to be stuff to do there. This is where the business community (and community development programmers) need to look at other cities to think of activities. Calgary has a fireworks festival - perhaps finding sponsors to setup a fireworks festival over the course of several nights? The tattoo is a huge tourist draw - why not think of some other activities with it in the same way stampede does (for example: many companies do free stampede breakfasts during the weeks of stampede, perhaps doing free breakfasts or lunches where companies sponsor the event?). Things like a Christmas Park lights in the public gardens (which I've previously suggested - much like Zoo lights here in Calgary), I hate to keep using Calgary - but I can't seem to think of other examples today. But you see what I'm saying - it's about bringing people to downtown to live, but also to play and to shop - gets some interesting stores into these villages. If you did an urban village on Agricola street with 10 to 15 storey condo blocks, with commercial on the ground floor with things like the Apple store or a Whole Foods, plus other big box retail chains in an urban context (Future Shop/Walmart etc) you would give people places to shop.

I'll stop preaching now...this was way longer of a post then I intended.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 9:45 PM

I was thinking about the parking lots south of Spring Garden Road the other night and wanted to read the Halifax MPS to see what policies were applied to the site.

I stumbled onto this interesting policy about the North West Arm bridge that I thought was interesting:

9.6.9 The City shall delay or seek to delay any decision to construct Northwest Arm Drive from the Herring Cove Road to Purcell's Cove Road and any decision to construct a Northwest Arm Bridge until:
(i) the Halifax-Dartmouth Regional Development Plan, including the transportation plan, is re-evaluated;
(ii) detailed area plans have been completed for the Old South End and Peninsula Centre areas;
(iii) thorough impact studies of the Drive and the Bridge on the natural, social and economic environments of Mainland South and the Halifax Peninsula have been made, evaluated, and accepted by the City.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I was thinking about the parking lots south of Spring Garden Road the other night and wanted to read the Halifax MPS to see what policies were applied to the site.

I stumbled onto this interesting policy about the North West Arm bridge that I thought was interesting:

9.6.9 The City shall delay or seek to delay any decision to construct Northwest Arm Drive from the Herring Cove Road to Purcell's Cove Road and any decision to construct a Northwest Arm Bridge until:
(i) the Halifax-Dartmouth Regional Development Plan, including the transportation plan, is re-evaluated;
(ii) detailed area plans have been completed for the Old South End and Peninsula Centre areas;
(iii) thorough impact studies of the Drive and the Bridge on the natural, social and economic environments of Mainland South and the Halifax Peninsula have been made, evaluated, and accepted by the City.
Interesting! Thanks for posting. When was this MPS published? Could you provide a link.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Interesting! Thanks for posting. When was this MPS published? Could you provide a link.
90's I believe; needs a little updating I believe. Because it refers to the Planning Act a lot - there hasn't been a planning act in NS for a long time. The MGA replaced it and now there is the HRM charter.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 11:05 AM
Honored Member

This article was in thestar.com (the online version of the Toronto Star). I have a couple points - 1) most visitors to Halifax generally find it to be an interesting city, even visitors from the big city of Toronto (don't be offended, I still consider myself to be a Haligonian living in the Toronto area) - so Halifax needs to move ahead with the new convention centre, which will probably be a resounding success and help revitalize the downtown, 2) Halifax really needs a North West Arm crossing to get these big trucks off the downtown streets. That is why I like the route that I re-posted after the article (this doesn't go through the rail-cut but instead above it on the southern side)

(source - http://www.thestar.com/article/83954...-to-the-future )
Quote:
Hume: From Halifax to Toronto, all roads lead to the future
Published On Mon Jul 26 2010

By Christopher Hume Urban Issues, Architecture

Halifax is a city that just keeps on truckin’: That’s the problem.

Though this historic city of 500,000 has much to offer, it also has its troubles; they begin with a harbour layout that puts hundreds of trucks onto the streets of downtown Halifax every day.

Lower Water, Hollis and, to a lesser degree, Barrington streets all have trucks roaring down them endlessly. Loaded, unloaded, many carrying containers, these huge vehicles are wildly out of place on Halifax’s narrow 19th-century arteries. These trucks are bigger than some of the buildings they pass. As for street life, forget it, with these behemoths grunting by every few minutes, the sidewalks are not much fun.

Shame, Halifax has retained a vital urban core where many similar smaller cities have not, Winnipeg, for example, can feel like the world’s biggest ghost town. The streets aren’t just empty; they’re deserted.

Despite its scruffiness, Halifax has also retained much of its civic and architectural heritage. There are a few too many stores for rent, and of course, the ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s wreaked havoc here, as everywhere else. All things considered, however, Halifax has much to feel good about.

Even its waterfront has finally succumbed to the forces of gentrification. New mixed-use developments have appeared on the edge of the harbour. Though largely conventional, they are more imaginative than many.

But then there are those trucks, tearing relentlessly up and down the streets.

Discussions have occurred, but solutions such as building a highway along rail lines are expensive. To an outsider, it seems this is one of those issues everyone has agreed to ignore. But that doesn’t mean it will go away.

The truck routes form a waterfront barrier that’s every bit as real as the physical obstacles in Toronto of railroads, highways and condos. Yet in both cities, the key to success is to reintegrate the waterfront into the larger community.

More generally, both cities need to be rescued from the car. That doesn’t mean elimination of cars; a reduction of 20 to 25 per cent would be enough to change conditions dramatically. That’s a little better than what has been achieved in London and Stockholm. Sounds optimistic, but historic city centres are simply not equipped to handle such volumes of traffic. In Halifax’s case, the situation is exacerbated by the fact that much of the traffic consists of big rigs.

Still one wanders around this old maritime city and can’t help but marvel at its urban potential. But first the streets must be reclaimed.

The irony, as always, is that Halifax is its own biggest asset. Compact and connected, it is in good shape for what awaits us after cheap oil. But in a world where monster trucks dominate, these qualities are liabilities. And so Halifax tends to look shabby and under-populated.

And it’s unlikely the truckers themselves enjoy driving the streets of Halifax; these vehicles are made for bigger spaces.

In Toronto, we have yet to come to terms with putting new neighbourhoods on streets that have become on and off-ramps for the Gardiner Expressway. That includes Spadina, Bay, Jarvis and York.

The vehicular role will change; the process has already started. Some cities will thrive; others will slowly die. Though we talk about corporations being too big to fail; what about cities? In Canada, we are content to leave them to their own devices, of which they typically have precious few. Though all cities face the perils of the future, Halifax at least has the virtues of the past.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure