HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 8:21 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
New renderings look slick, but still bummed that this thing seems to lose height with each revision.
Actually, have you seen the new rendering from today? It's now just Jim Rohr's desk and a fake fern on the roof of Moe's Southwest Grill.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 8:45 PM

By the way, this was posted on December 17, 2011:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzard View Post
The known height of One PNC (424 feet) can be used to estimate the height of the new tower.

Quote:
Eliminating vertical foreshortening and measuring the relative heights, I come up with about 545 feet as the height of the Tower from base to roofline.
Not bad work, and I think that means the height hasn't really changed since the first revision.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^LOL, I can't believe you guys counted pixels and came up with the right height in advance! That's impressive.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 2:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Yes, it's very impressive! Insane, but very impressive!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 3:34 PM

He used accurate math on a height-wise accurate rendering. While I am excited to see some intellect on this forum, I fail to see any suprise value.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 4:13 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

I still liked this version the best. The new rendering is essentially the same but the transparent glass in now only near the top of the tower.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 4:54 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

So speaking of Downtown, did anyone here attempt to partake in the insanity of humanity that was Light Up Night? Holy crap, it was insane down there last night! Market Square literally was as crowded as Times Square during New Year's Eve celebrations! I don't even think I was standing on the ground as I tried to move through the crowd to finally get out of the area. More like a literal wave of humanity pulsing its way out of the area to head to other parts of Downtown. I swear, it was absolutely ridiculous! I think Light Up Night was a victim of its own success!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 5:47 PM

[QUOTE=glowrock;5904773]So speaking of Downtown, did anyone here attempt to partake in the insanity of humanity that was Light Up Night? Holy crap, it was insane down there last night! Market Square literally was as crowded as Times Square during New Year's Eve celebrations!

I didnt go, but they showed an aerial shot of market square on the news and it was a giant black blob. I cant see how anyone would be able to manuever around with that many people.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 5:48 PM

What does US Steel plan to do when their lease is up?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 6:03 PM
BANNED

PNC renderings look luscious... a bit squat, but it's going to be a really cool building... and obviously a great (if not very vertical) addition to the skyline. Good stuff!

Gensler is top notch, so I'm confident it will look even better in real life. Exciting time for downtown Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 6:25 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

[QUOTE=bmust71;5904834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
So speaking of Downtown, did anyone here attempt to partake in the insanity of humanity that was Light Up Night? Holy crap, it was insane down there last night! Market Square literally was as crowded as Times Square during New Year's Eve celebrations!

I didnt go, but they showed an aerial shot of market square on the news and it was a giant black blob. I cant see how anyone would be able to manuever around with that many people.
You're right, it WAS impossible to maneuver around with so many people. Got so bad I was getting claustrophobia and having a panic attack... No doubt, a victim of its own success!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 6:25 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
What does US Steel plan to do when their lease is up?
Probably go to a nice suburban campus near the airport...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 7:01 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
You know, hearing about how Downtown is really coming alive during various different events is really a positive thing to me. My wife would probably not like that too much, but large crowds really don't bother me. I was in a pep rally down in New Orleans for the Nokia Sugar Bowl in January, 2005, and the following year I was on Sahside when the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Regarding US Steel's plans, that idea would suck. It's one thing to have a few corporate HQs in the suburbs, but when they all start flocking to the suburbs for some uninspiring HQ campus surrounded by a sea of parking lots, it's very uninteresting.

I wouldn't mind a campus of 20-story buildings in or close to Downtown tho. I like PNC's new building, so something like that...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 9:58 PM

apparently Ravenstahl and the City of Pittsburgh are doing everything in their power to get them to stay, as they should, but i would be really upset to see them go to Cranberry or Southpoint

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 4:27 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
apparently Ravenstahl and the City of Pittsburgh are doing everything in their power to get them to stay, as they should, but i would be really upset to see them go to Cranberry or Southpoint
Same here. They belong Downtown. Really, having a major corporation, a steel maker at that, at some suburban office park just doesn't make sense. I've said it, and I've listened to both sides of the argument, but I'm sticking with my opinion...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 2:20 PM
Northsider

Quote:
If I was an employee and worked for them downtown, I'd be pretty mad if they moved my job out to some far suburb. There's no way to take public transportation and it's a long drive unless you just happen to live in that some suburb. I'd guess that they'd lose a significant number of employees with a move like that.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
If I was an employee and worked for them downtown, I'd be pretty mad if they moved my job out to some far suburb. There's no way to take public transportation and it's a long drive unless you just happen to live in that some suburb. I'd guess that they'd lose a significant number of employees with a move like that.
Didn't they even say earlier that they want to have adequate access to public transportation? I know they mentioned the airport. So in that respect, why don't they stay in Downtown and argue the extension of the T to the Airport? Of course I doubt they'd consider partially funding it considering they'll likely be spending money on a new HQ...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'm with you on wanting them to stay downtown, but how many US Steel workers are urban geeks like yourself ?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 11:32 PM

In my experience most companies and employees prefer suburban locations. It cheaper for most employees because they don't have to pay for transit or parking. It's cheaper in a lot of ways for the companies (lower taxes, rent, efficiency, etc.).

I hope that US Steel stays downtown, but there are a lot of compelling reasons for them not to.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 5:33 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
In my experience most companies and employees prefer suburban locations. It cheaper for most employees because they don't have to pay for transit or parking. It's cheaper in a lot of ways for the companies (lower taxes, rent, efficiency, etc.).

I hope that US Steel stays downtown, but there are a lot of compelling reasons for them not to.
You talk like it's FREE for employees to travel to suburban workplaces.

Private automobiles whisk Pittsburgh's workforce along the region's efficient autobahns until they are deposited into a generous lot of free parking adjacent to their stimulating workplace campuses.

One of the big problems with locating a major company with a regional workforce in a distant suburban quadrant... is it becomes a massive pain for employees who don't live in that suburban quadrant to drive to work. If my company relocates to Cranberry... and I'm accustomed to taking the T from Bethel Park to Downtown... my options now are quite limited, time-consuming and expensive. It may seem appealing for a US Steel to hide away in an obscure nook, but locational centralization is a a powerful asset in many regards.

In my experience... the aging but still-holding-the-reins-of-power Baby Boomer cohort prefers the discredited, inefficient and backwards-looking suburban office park. Young talent tends to prefer dynamic work environments that are found in urban locations accessible by transit, bike and foot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations