HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:26 AM
The Heart of SWLA

New to the thread. I have followed the Pittsburgh development for a few months. The reuse of any charming and elegant historic structures is great. I admire those who took on this artistic challenge. Really neat way to find new purposes for beautiful buildings. Let's be more polite and respectful to those of us who believe in God, even if you have no affiliation, find no purpose and/or find it useless an disgusting. Let's always be positive and spread cheer and love! As for a building you may do what you please, for God does not dwell in temples made by hand. Anyway, I love and admire the artistry and flair of Pittsburgh, I wish my area had more of an idea of what to do with our downtown and other parts of the city. I have visited Pittsburgh numerous times and I love it, the architecture is a draw for me and Pittsburgh is one of the most fascinating cities in country. The churches in Pittsburgh are iconic and beyond what I see here in Louisiana. I love Pittsburgh and it's alluring charm! Much respect to all y'all who lives there, you and the people who run and developed here are what makes Pittsburgh something special!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 12:46 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
I used to live near Lake Charles, in Lafayette. Lake Charles downtown is a huge let down. It has some potential though. But a lot of it has been torn down unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:29 PM
Eurosceptic

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/7...hts-pittsburgh

Quote:
Sun Air makes Pittsburgh a 'focus city' with 3 more regional flights into airport

By Bobby Kerlik
Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, 12:48 p.m.
Updated 10 hours ago

Allegheny County officials announced Wednesday that Fort Lauderdale-based Sun Air Express will make Pittsburgh a “focus city,” adding three regional flights into Pittsburgh International Airport as part of a federally-subsidized program.

The routes to Lancaster, Franklin and Bradford will begin before the end of the year, officials said, bringing the number of Sun Air's regional routes to five.

Sun Air last month said it would operate non-stop flights to Jamestown, N.Y., and Altoona four times daily, Mondays through Fridays, and two round-trip flights on weekends beginning in November.

The new routes are significant not because there are hordes of passengers in Pittsburgh demanding access to those places, but because Pittsburgh will become the gateway airport for those smaller towns.

“It's an opportunity to not only serve Pittsburgh passengers but add customers from these five markets,” said Jim Gill, acting executive director of the Allegheny County Airport Authority. “It certainly adds demand (for other flights).”

Officials anticipate the flights could draw 1,000 people a week to the airport, many of them travelers connecting to other cities.

“The ... project also focuses on ongoing efforts to attract service to non-subsidized markets such as Williamsport, Scranton, and other regional cities,” said County Executive Rich Fitzgerald. “These (five) cities ... help the airport with critical mass that can assist in other strategies to gain new flights.”

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:38 PM
The Heart of SWLA

Interesting, I would not live in Lafayette. I live in Louisiana all my life and I have visited Lafayette maybe once or twice. Yes our downtown is complete let down. Yeah most of the buildings in LC were demolished for parking or nothing or burned down in the fire of 1910. They have down street scaping on Ryan Street, renovated the Lakefront Promenade and reused and revitalized buildings but we still have huge surface parking, huge empty lots and so forth. Huge need of infills, our skyline is pathetic. I believe Lake Charles has exceptional potential. There has been so many failed attempts at developing the waterfront property. We could have a very impressive urban core if developers see potential profits. Anyway I love it here either way. Thanks for your response, I admire your work, your photography is one the best I have seen, keep it up, maybe when LC become more appealing in architecture and have a much better urban core you could photograph here.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:34 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeLee95 View Post
New to the thread. I have followed the Pittsburgh development for a few months. The reuse of any charming and elegant historic structures is great. I admire those who took on this artistic challenge. Really neat way to find new purposes for beautiful buildings. Let's be more polite and respectful to those of us who believe in God, even if you have no affiliation, find no purpose and/or find it useless an disgusting. Let's always be positive and spread cheer and love! As for a building you may do what you please, for God does not dwell in temples made by hand. Anyway, I love and admire the artistry and flair of Pittsburgh, I wish my area had more of an idea of what to do with our downtown and other parts of the city. I have visited Pittsburgh numerous times and I love it, the architecture is a draw for me and Pittsburgh is one of the most fascinating cities in country. The churches in Pittsburgh are iconic and beyond what I see here in Louisiana. I love Pittsburgh and it's alluring charm! Much respect to all y'all who lives there, you and the people who run and developed here are what makes Pittsburgh something special!
Welcome!
Yes you are right, this city has a ridiculous amount of churches.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 12:29 PM

Planning is continuing for the new CSX terminal:

http://www.keystoneedge.com/innovati...CSX102314.aspx

Sounds like they aiming for opening in early 2017 or so, which would be around a year after the new Panama Canal expansion should open (which should lead to more exports into East Coast ports).

Meanwhile, the new Fed Ex distribution center is also slated to open around 2016:

http://triblive.com/business/headlin...#axzz3H43hXPxi

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The only good thing religion has done is build beautiful buildings, other than that its a pretty disgusting blight on the human species. I hope that all churches one day lose their patronage and get turned into museums, bars, apartments, art galleries, etc. I do hate seeing beautiful churches being torn down.
To that, I disagree. Assholes who use ideology as an excuse to justify doing whatever evil thing they want smear the reputation of what are otherwise institutions whose whole reason for existance is to help people. I am no longer a church goer b/c I don't believe in the theology, but I still respect all the real world differences churches around the globe make.

Your last sentance, I am in full agreement with.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 4:10 PM

I think we should be respectful here of differences of opinion on subjects that really have nothing to do with development issues in Pittsburgh.

I'd also just note that as a matter of history, most large, popular religions with lots of significant property holdings have more or less reflected and supported the relevant society's existing moral sentiments, political institutions, and other socioeconomic structures, or at least major factions therein. Which makes sense when you think about it--radicals and revolutionaries don't tend to make themselves materially wealthy as a result of their activities (except perhaps in the few occasions they actually achieve, and then hold on to, elite status as a result of a successful revolution). Rather, it is usually those people and institutions who are part of, or at least act in service of, the existing socioeconomic elites that are most likely to accumulate wealth and property over time.

So for good or ill, to the extent you do or don't like what a particular such religion has done in some period of history, usually you really need to be sharing the credit or blame with a much wider group than just the religion in question.

Last edited by BrianTH; Oct 24, 2014 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:34 PM

Grant money going to a hotel development involving the Granite Building.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201410240194

Quote:
$2.5M grant to aid Granite Building hotel project in downtown Pittsburgh

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Gov. Tom Corbett delivered a $2.5 million state redevelopment assistance capital grant this morning to jump start Downtown's latest hotel project -- 104 rooms, three bars, and a brasserie-style restaurant at Wood Street and Sixth Avenue.

The $38 million independent boutique hotel will be housed in the Granite Building, a Romanesque-style structure built in 1889 and site of the former German National Bank. A building next door that once housed an Arby's restaurant also will be part of the development.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:12 PM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucka View Post
Grant money going to a hotel development involving the Granite Building.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201410240194

Image from the PG.

Last edited by SkyPittsburgh; Oct 24, 2014 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Removed enormous picture and replaced it with a smaller one.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post

Image from the PG.
Looks like they're taking out the three-story historic storefront next door. Not my favorite building, but it's still kinda a shame that yet another reasonably intact, small-scale storefront downtown is going to be lost. I do like that they are going to attempt to (roughly) match the proportions of the original building on the side addition though.

Man though, Corbett is real larding up Pittsburgh with grants now. Whose votes is he expecting to get with this largess? I mean, besides the developers themselves, who probably mostly supported him already.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:22 PM

Thanks for posting the picture. They plan to demolish the three story building next door for the hotel.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:48 PM
Ex Houstonian

Why can't they center the windows on the new building? Looks dumb.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:06 PM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Why can't they center the windows on the new building? Looks dumb.
I think that they're centered, it's just that the new building is a little set back so that you're seeing part of the Granite Building covering the right side. Look up at the top where you can see the whole facade.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting the picture. They plan to demolish the three story building next door for the hotel.

This will be an interesting project. It's a great building. Here's hoping that the sub-par first floor façade "restoration" can be corrected. Also exciting to see what first-time developer Holly Brubach can do. Brubach is a Pittsburgh native but has spent nearly all her adult life living in New York, Paris and Milan. She might be uniquely qualified to bring a cutting edge, sophisticated non-brand name hotel to town.

It is odd that the windows and ground level arch on the new construction are not centered.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I think that they're centered, it's just that the new building is a little set back so that you're seeing part of the Granite Building covering the right side. Look up at the top where you can see the whole facade.
Ah... Good eye. But the new construction doesn't appear to be setback at street level as compared to the building just to its north.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Originally posted by Austinlee. Yes Austin very sexy view. I agree.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:28 PM
Ex Houstonian

It better not be set back, I hate it when they do that, ruins the street wall.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:37 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

Not sure how I feel about this. It could turn out very well or it could be awkward. It makes me nervous that they could screw it up. I guess I will hope for the best.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:38 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
Originally posted by Austinlee. Yes Austin very sexy view. I agree.

Haha. That was a good angle. Thanks for remembering it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations