HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 6:25 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
Cenovus might not need the space, but didn't Scotia just lease a chunk of the building?
Yes they did.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Both got off the ground when things were good. Both have lease agreements for the majority of their office space. The question mark lies with Stantec's residential and whether it gets completed as proposed if things remain stagnant in Alberta a year from now. with Brookfield, it's a question of whether it will be occupied or the front doors chained shut.
In order to fill up Stantec, I'm guessing the vacancy rate will jump significantly in other downtown towers. That's not really a good thing.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 6:52 PM
I am the law!

That's normal.

I'm sure the building will reach its full height but, it's a little early to start gloating. The irony is Calgary will be front and centre if a reduction does come to light. WAM on 10th is the bellwether for WAM's new found capital investors that has turned this obscure company into a national one with tens of millions spent on property acquisitions and eight to 10,000 units planned.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 7:48 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
In order to fill up Stantec, I'm guessing the vacancy rate will jump significantly in other downtown towers. That's not really a good thing.
True, and not just because of Stantec - City of Edmonton and Enbridge are also consolidating in Edmonton Tower and Kelly Ramsey respectively, which will nearly-to-completely empty out a few smaller towers and buildings.

That said, a lot of those are much older buildings; there is talk of at least a couple being converted to residential or hotel use. Others I think will take the opportunity for much needed upgrades for efficiency and to attract higher grade tenants. That will no doubt take a couple of years, by which time the economy may well be on the road to recovery.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 7:58 PM
Love skyscrapers

Lol @ some of these posts by Calgarians . Wam asking for money lol they're backed by a billionaire The resi wont top out Calgary keeps forgetting Edmonton economy is much more diverse then Calgary and the recession is hurting us less And soon to be released by stats Can edmonton metro region and city Grew in population by quite a bit more them Calgary this last year so the need for residential is still there.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 10:18 PM
I am the law!

LOL, I don't think you fully grasp how god damn expensive developing these skyscrapers are. His entire wealth (which is not the same as cash flow) amounts to a medium sized REIT in Canada. Institutional Players could buy him 50 to 100 times over.

The ICE district is already heavily subsidizes by the City of Edmonton. I don't know who is financing WAM's planned growth across Canada but, I hope it's more than just the Katz Group or they will come knocking if targets aren't met.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 10:33 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
LOL, I don't think you fully grasp how god damn expensive developing these skyscrapers are. His entire wealth (which is not the same as cash flow) amounts to a medium sized REIT in Canada. Institutional Players could buy him 50 to 100 times over.

The ICE district is already heavily subsidizes by the City of Edmonton. I don't know who is financing WAM's planned growth across Canada but, I hope it's more than just the Katz Group or they will come knocking if targets aren't met.
Ice district is heavily subsidized by the COE? Come again.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 12:15 AM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:

None of the Ice Disrict is subsidized LOL Only the arena is and the city owns it. You do realize they are adding another 47 storey tower across on the greyhound site so why would they reduce the Stantec resi lol This building has already had a height increase the dp allows it to go to 275 meters. So if anything it goes higher not lower. Calgarian reaching at straws .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Ulgtvx-NA

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 12:32 AM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Most of the building is Occupied by Stantec and It's employees . CN tower edmonton sounds like It's converting into a hotel. There will be a increase in office space as Kelly Ramsey COE and Stantec are all new office towers . Edmonton office towers will probably stay the same for next decade but I see a lot more condo towers going up as downtown will be the trendy place to live.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 5:56 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyisnolimit View Post
None of the Ice Disrict is subsidized LOL Only the arena is and the city owns it. You do realize they are adding another 47 storey tower across on the greyhound site so why would they reduce the Stantec resi lol This building has already had a height increase the dp allows it to go to 275 meters. So if anything it goes higher not lower. Calgarian reaching at straws .

He's not Calgarian. He's from Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 1:52 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyisnolimit View Post

I wasn't serious about WAM knocking on the city's door. This is who I am on this forum.

That said, I didn't know the arena wasn't part of the district or that they dissolved the TIF among other things. I also did not know the city will own the arena. That makes all the difference. Afterall, Every major real estate investment company wants to own one and is willing to pay top dollar for it.
They are adding the rest of the underground parking. I wouldn't count on another 47 storey tower to start construction until the other towers are filled.

Edmonton has been booming for as long as I have been following it. It would be lucky to have absorb a couple hundred high rise units a year since. This isn't from a lack of proposals either. You want to talk about grasping at straws? You're unwavering confidence in this project. They may reach higher to the height limit. They may end up building the 47 storey tower. I just wouldn't bet on it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 1:59 PM
Community Guy

^I would and that is from a very different perspective than skyisnolimit.

Work has started on the UG parking, with the podium integral to Ice District's operation, $$$ making and logistics. There are commitments with major tenants and this new 47 storey tower has location location location long-term. It will likely also be one of the only residential towers ready for occupancy in 3 years, so it will have nearly no competition for modern, mid to higher end, downtown.

Katz has the means, expertise and partners to keep this ball rolling. My bet is that we see north of 104 Avenue beginning to rollout at the completion of this next tower.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 2:13 PM
I am the law!

Maybe but, you have a propensity to get uber excited about developments and take dates as binding contracts. There have been a few development over the years you adamantly posted over and over again that construction is starting soon only to have them never materialize. Your prespective is closer to skyisnolimit's than you think.

Katz isn't the only billionaire playing developer. There's one right here in Toronto that has built a tower that makes Stantec's height quite cute and he totally regrets it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 3:07 PM
Community Guy

^sure, but a few of us are much more involved and aware than one might presume.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 3:13 PM

The Ice District is like bringing West Edmonton Mall back downtown. The desirability and attitudes from suburban Edmontonians about downtown are going to drastically improve in the next 5 years. Suburban Edmontonians are already talking about downtown in a positive light. That's a huge change from the last 5 years alone. You won't find a transformation of attitudes that significant anywhere else in Canada. It isn't just the Ice District, everything around it is being transformed.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 8:26 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^sure, but a few of us are much more involved and aware than one might presume.
Being there; done that. You know just enough where it becomes dangerous (unless senior is in you title than well done)

I'm patience. I'll wait and see if this becomes as big a transformation of the downtown as the hype.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 8:38 PM
SUSPENDED

Well no shit it will be...Oy Vey!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 9:11 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
250.8!!!

Can't wait for Calgary to have something over 250m, maybe one day, one day.
You do realize that Edmonton's current tallest wouldn't even make it into Calgary's 20 tallest, right? Go sit down. We have the height, the numbers, and the nicer architecture by far. There's no contest, and no one here is butthurt about Edmonton having one tall building, considering we have 20 buildings at 150 meters or more already. In fact, most Calgary forumers are happy for Edmonton, myself included.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 9:41 PM

Stantec is 250 meters? Damn. Weird to think that Edmonton will have the tallest building west of Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
You do realize that Edmonton's current tallest wouldn't even make it into Calgary's 20 tallest, right? Go sit down. We have the height, the numbers, and the nicer architecture by far. There's no contest, and no one here is butthurt about Edmonton having one tall building, considering we have 20 buildings at 150 meters or more already. In fact, most Calgary forumers are happy for Edmonton, myself included.
Here's Chad's true character coming out once again. He plays his passive aggressive game so well, but when something triggers him, he forgets his online persona and goes off on these embarrassing tangents.

And don't be a hypocritical ass. You've trashed Stantec from the beginning on the Calgary board saying it's "ugly" and you "wouldn't want it in Calgary". So fuck off with your holier than thou pathological lying crap, it really gets tiring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada