HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:38 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^It's just that some people will never be satisfied with anything.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:45 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

From SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by godblessbotox View Post
sunset and vine glassy

the unknown on vine
The "unknown" construction on Vine St. is called the PaliHouse.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
The "unknown" construction on Vine St. is called the PaliHouse.
Whoa! Since I don't follow things as closely in hoods other than DT, that's news to me. I thought the only new devlpt around Hollywood & Vine right now was the W hotel proj, on the SE corner.

Since the Palihouse proj is going to be 5 stories tall, I wonder why the devlpr has installed such a large construction crane on the site?

When work begins on the large new apt proj next to the Pantages, about 2 blocks east of Palihouse & across from the W hotel proj, that hood really will be movin on up.

Quote:
Just a tad north of Hollywood and Vine, get ready for Pali House. Developers plan 57 residential units with a ground level restaurant and bar/lounge on the courtyard level. The anticipated completion is spring 2008. The project is classified as a "Boutique Hotel". The drawing from the website resembles the historic qualities of some of the adjacent classic surrounding buildings. The difference - this building will be glossy red. A combo of hotel and condo with a proposed elevated lobby/concierge area overlooking the outdoor courtyard space framed by glass walls.

Quote:
Pali House
Hollywood, CA

Creating a true landmark building in a dynamic and eclectic city presents a unique challenge to the design team. In the case of Pali House Hollywood, emphasis on color and light become the primary focus to establish a bold landmark presence in this historic and storied neighborhood.

The building façade evolves from the historic qualities of the adjacent Hollywood and Vine buildings, and the Capitol Records Building. The hotel's classical detailing evokes a formal hierarchy seen in the presence of Industry and Commerce throughout the city.

Use of a glossy bright red over the facade of the building promotes the idea of color as identity. Uniform color pulls all details into one complete object, or more specifically, into one complete idea. The result is a modern expression of historic forms and details.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
[/b]
However, I do agree with your saying that about another forumer at SSP, who shall go unnamed. That's why, based on a post of yours at SSC, pairing my name with that person's screenname was quite insulting.
oh, you must be referring to edluva. yeah, i agree he's quite negative about our fair city. i think that project is just fine and quite inspiring.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
oh, you must be referring to edluva. yeah, i agree he's quite negative about our fair city.
Actually, his problem is he over intellectualizes about things that don't really suck big time-----things that are so bad that, say, at least 80% of ppl will say "wow, that's shitty!!"-----&, in turn, & oddly enough, resents it when the things that really do suck are pointed out. For instance, all the views in the city that are not much better than these ones:

Omar Omar

Omar Omar

About 2 or 3 yrs ago, I recall posting a pic of some dive street around the NE of DT----or somewhere like that----& his refusing to say "wow, what a crappy scene!" Moreover, he seemed indignant that such an environment was being pointed out. I guess he'd rather be sarcastic about things that in comparison aren't quite as bad & fugly.

So here it is a few yrs later, & we're right back where we started.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 7:49 AM
Cool dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Who said classic architecture and ornamentation wasn't possible in 21st century LA design studios?

LOVE IT! More need to do it. Palihouse will stand the test of time. 95% of the rest of this stuff.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:52 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Wow that's going to be one nice building.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:43 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

From SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by godblessbotox View Post

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Good progress. Is it me, or are the Broadway Lofts (in the background of the second picture) taking forever?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:30 AM
California goth

palihouse is great!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 1:26 AM
übersupermegascraper

palihouse will fit nicely in to the neighborhood. i'm looking forward to seeing that glossy red paintjob. i just don't know how i would like living next door to the avalon.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 8:49 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksep View Post
palihouse will fit nicely in to the neighborhood. i'm looking forward to seeing that glossy red paintjob. i just don't know how i would like living next door to the avalon.
Good point... a lot of this going on there:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:15 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...C_N.htm?csp=34

NBC plans to sell Burbank studio

Los Angeles, Calif. (AP) — NBC Universal plans to sell part of its site in "beautiful downtown Burbank," home to the studio housing The Tonight Show With Jay Leno, and move to a new state-of-the-art broadcast facility across the street from Universal Studios, the company announced Thursday.
NBC will take the Access Hollywood set, local news operations and other facilities with it when it moves into the new location in 2011.

Meanwhile, it plans to move The Tonight Show to the nearby Universal Studios' Stage One lot when Conan O'Brien takes over hosting duties upon Leno's retirement in 2009.

The new facilities will be located in a new building adjacent to a subway line connecting Universal City, in the southeast corner of the San Fernando Valley, to downtown Los Angeles. They will be across the street from Universal Studios, the Universal Studios Hollywood theme park and the CityWalk tourist destination.

"When looking at our long-term business operations, we realized there are very real strategic and synergistic opportunities in bringing our production facilities and talent together to grow in Los Angeles," Tom Smith, senior vice president of West Coast real estate for NBC Universal said in a statement posted on the KNBC-TV Web cite.

Company officials said they are pursuing opportunities to sell part of the 34-acre studio lot in the Burbank Media District. They would lease it back for news operations until the University City facility is finished.

The Burbank studio, purchased in 1951, was made famous by the late Tonight Show host Johnny Carson's frequent tongue-in-cheek references to its location in "beautiful downtown Burbank."

Burbank Mayor Marsha Ramos said she was sad to learn the show is leaving the Los Angeles suburb of some 105,000 residents.

"The Tonight Show put us on the map," she told the Los Angeles Times. "Without that line from Johnny Carson about beautiful downtown Burbank, most people wouldn't even know that we exist."

NBC officials say the new facility will include virtual studios, interactive graphic capabilities, a glass-walled newsroom and other modern features.

It's news set will be modeled in part after the network's Today show set in New York and will host the Today show and NBC's Nightly News whenever those programs broadcast from Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;15841959
^^ Hello, LA
Thanks for The Memories BURBANK!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;15841161

Last edited by ReDSPork02; Oct 11, 2007 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:34 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Great news, but why did you post that in this thread?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Great news, but why did you post that in this thread?
?????
I dont know where else, HoLLywood= Universal Studios??
If u want me to move it just tell me where, ill do it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:38 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDSPork02 View Post
?????
I dont know where else, HoLLywood= Universal Studios??
If u want me to move it just tell me where, ill do it.
LA Economic Data Thread

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:52 PM

Cool

Quote:
DONE!
Check it out Guys!!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 10:59 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Movietown Plaza Unveiled

By Ryan Gierach, West Hollywood
October 11, 2007

West Hollywood, California (October 11, 2007) - Casden Properties unveiled new plans for a re-thought Movietown Plaza, the ten-story mixed-use project proposed for the land currently occupied by a shopping mall on the Eastside of West Hollywood at 7310 Santa Monica Blvd.

A bird’s eye view showing Movietown Plaza. Courtesy
Casden Properties.

They presented architectural renderings and plans for review by the neighborhood and made representatives from the architect on down available to answer questions about the controversial 420,000 sq ft project.

Howard Katz of Casden Properties said in a statement that the firm had spent the last year revising its plans, including bringing a new architect on board, in an effort to return with a dramatic re-imagining of the schematic plan for Movietown Plaza.

The same presentation had already been made to the Eastside Project Area Committee (PAC) at its last meeting; the plans were considered to be a big improvement over the first set presented over a year ago.

Rob Bergstein, a member of the PAC, told WeHoNews at the neighborhood meeting the new plans were a pleasant improvement. “This is a huge step in the right direction after that concrete ten story gulag they presented last year,” he said.

Visitors talked with developers and one another in
front of large placards depicting the proposed
development at Movietown Plaza. Photo by Ryan
Gierach.

Others at the presentation saw too much, they said. They complained of too much mass, too much traffic descending on their streets, too much gentrification and too many people moving in.

Barry Wendell, a neighbor living on Fuller off Fountain, decried the project as benefiting only the wealthy and not the neighborhood itself.

“If you were to list the top ten needs of this neighborhood, where on that list would ‘luxury high-rise condominiums?” he asked. “Redevelopment should improve the community, not drive the people in the community out of it because of increased traffic and prices.”

Mr. Katz emphasized that the neighborhood input received after last year’s iteration went to good use in mitigating the neighbor’s concerns about its size and potential influence on life on that side of town.

A view of the building from street level across Santa
Monica Boulevard. Courtesy Casden Properties.

“This plan… features less density, lower-scale buildings along Santa Monica Boulevard with the taller elements shifted to the rear of the three-acre site, a new location at the front of the project for the affordable housing units for senior citizens, and increased and better organized open space,” he stated.

The new plans were developed by the award-winning architecture firm Van Tilburg, Banvard and Soderbergh with which Casden has previously worked.

Comments at the gathering from cautionary supporters of the project approved of the way the community’s input had been implemented.

“The two major improvements are the stepped back ten-story towers sitting behind seven stories instead of the single block tower,” Mr. Bergstein pointed out, “and moving the senior affordable housing to the street front so they can better access transportation and services.”

The public space in the front of Movietown Plaza
along Santa Monica Boulevard. Courtesy Casden
Properties.

As planned now, four floors of Senior Affordable Housing – 77 units averaging 650 sq ft - will top off the two retail spaces along Santa Monica Boulevard; in the last plan the senior units were along Poinsettia on the rear of the vast plot.

The retail space totals about 22,500 sq ft; Casden hopes to have Trader Joe’s return to take the 15,000 sq foot space. Behind those two buildings runs a service alleyway that some hope can be made into a pick up/drop off lane to serve the seniors living above.

Across the alleyway stand two ten-story structures of residential condominiums, including live/work spaces, surrounding a courtyard with a swimming pool and recreation facility.

Those two buildings will hold 297 condos, mainly one- and two-bedroom units, a handful of three-bedrooms, with an average size 1250 square feet. The project will add 374 units to West Hollywood’s housing stock.

A depiction of the paseo running from Fuller to
Poinsettia. Courtesy Casden Properties.

In a concession to the neighborhood’s demands to reduce the massing of the previous plan, Van Tilburg, Banvard and Soderbergh reduced overall density by 100 units.

They also increased and better organized the courtyard open space, including the introduction of a paseo connecting Fuller and Poinsettia, while also improving the streetscape out front along Santa Monica Boulevard, in part by adding a double row of trees to the landscaping.

Finally, to salve entrance and egress issues, the new architects separated parking entrances by use, residential and commercial.

Mr. Katz also mentioned the revenue the project expects to generate for the city’s Eastside redevelopment agency.

A view of the rear of the project from across the Los
Angeles city line. Courtesy Casden Properties.

“Since Movietown Plaza is located in the East Side Redevelopment Project Area, this development will generate $1.5 million annually for the redevelopment agency,” he said, “with $500,000 of that to be dedicated toward the creation of new housing.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: WeHo News

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:50 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Great I will look forward to this project filling up what's left of very few large parking lots in West Hollywood. I do hope Trader Joe's intends to stay.

Oh, and why are you posting this here? This is not Hollywood any more than Universal City is Hollywood.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:51 AM
Environmental Sabotage

double post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West