HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
WHich is why its had all 4 major teams for 20 years + One of the larger NASCAR race tracks + A major College football team and soon to have a secondary football team and MLS expansion.
wait, phoenix is getting an MLS expansion team?

when did that happen?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

when did that happen?
It is not as far as I know.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

when did that happen?
Obadno jumping ahead a little. Phoenix Rising was among the dozen or cities vying for the last round of expansion decisions, and is expected to be in the running in the next round. They've met several times with MLS, they have a stadium plan and a billionaire from the ownership group of OGC Nice in Ligue 1, they're in the largest metro with the best demographic numbers of the remaining candidates, and they just had a great USL season where they sold out their 7,000 person stadium and made it to the finals. BUT, no decisions yet, and for some reason when I read between the lines in news reports and things, I still have my doubts about Phoenix's chances.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:20 AM
is a loser.

Having driven by Phoenix Rising's stadium numerous times since my parents moved to Mesa, whose bright idea was it to build that thing without any awning/shade!? I know it was supposed to be a temporary facility, but good lord...

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:29 AM
is a loser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
It definitely does not have the long-established corporate presence that older cities like Atlanta or even Minneapolis. But I would say the trend is positive (Benchmark Electronics, for instance, just moved here, and several of the above just entered Fortune's list). What I would say is missing is a company with a really out-sized presence both within the state and without it. Case and point is your question itself--there isn't really a company that makes you think "Phoenix." And even locally, I wouldn't say any of the above companies really hold sway. This may be in part due to most of the corporate headquarters not being homegrown companies.
The lack of corporate investment in the Phoenix area is actually kind of staggering compared to smaller cities. Obviously Phoenix being a newer city is part of the issue, but most of the larger companies (Petsmart, U-Haul, Waste Management) based in Metropolitan Phoenix just don't have the same level of philanthropy/community investment you'd see compared to a place like Cincinnati (home of Proctor & Gamble and Kroger).

Even "old money" Phoenecian families like the Heards, Herbergers and Goldwaters, whose names and influences appeared on everything from park benches to art galleries is minimal compared to places like Columbus, Minneapolis and Seattle. I guess the question is: What would be the best way to get Phoenix (and Arizona)-based companies to consider making those sorts of public/community investments for the betterment of the metropolitan area?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Having driven by Phoenix Rising's stadium numerous times since my parents moved to Mesa, whose bright idea was it to build that thing without any awning/shade!? I know it was supposed to be a temporary facility, but good lord...
Its a temporary stadium

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions