HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 11:23 AM

We're all pretty familiar with the original ZCMI in downtown Salt Lake, but I wasn't to up on what the original in Ogden looked like. This is the original ZCMI Block at the corner of 24th and Washington. Wish we still had it. Anyone have pics of what is there now?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:15 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

That's great news about the Ben Lomand. I really appreciate companies that are dedicated to being part of the community and playing a role in making the community better. It sounds like the new owners are going to do just that.

As for the old Ogden ZCMI, I too with that building was still there. My guess is that is was located on the NW corner of the intersection and was probably torn down for Ogden City Mall, which now has a nice looking 4 story Wells Fargo building on that corner. Otherwise the NE Corner is the Weber Center. The two southern corners are the former historic First Security Tower and an older hotel that is now a Hampton Inn.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:33 AM

Great news about Ben Lomond. There seems to be a lot awesomeness coming back to Ogden.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:45 PM
Expatriate

When I was a kid, ZCMI was on the east side of Washington Blvd and was connected to the Ogden City Mall by a skybridge. ZCMI later moved across Washington into a space vacated by another department store (maybe Weinstocks), and the old building was converted into the Weber Center. The skybridge remained for several years, but was eventually removed before the Junction was built. I suspect that at least part of the original ZCMI building may continue stand behind the Weber Center facade.

Good news about the Ben Lomond! I love the historic core of Ogden and hope to see more buildings preserved.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:19 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 6:59 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAZLoVer View Post
I like the initial concept, but it appears that the patios are on the north side of the building, which is where the parking lot will be, as opposed to along the river. I think it would be interactive with the river if the seating and entrances to the restaurants was on the river side.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 8:52 PM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:30 PM

I thought this was cool. They did the same thing at an old train station in Logan.

104-year-old Layton Train Station has new life with rehab, open of Cafe Sabor

Quote:
LAYTON — After sitting vacant for nearly seven years, the 104-year-old historic centerpiece of Layton is back in business.

Mexican restaurant Café Sabor has moved into the Historic Downtown Layton Train Station, 200 S. Main St. Mayor Bob Stevenson said the restaurant has already begun serving food with a “soft opening” earlier this summer and will hold a grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony at 11 a.m. Friday.

As new developments like the Kay’s Crossing Apartments have been sprouting up around it, the city has been trying to find a use for the building for several years.
http://www.standard.net/Business/201...-new-life.html

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:54 PM

I'm glad that train station got fixed up, and not torn down. I used to get off at that Frontrunner stop every day when I worked in Kaysville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I thought this was cool. They did the same thing at an old train station in Logan.

104-year-old Layton Train Station has new life with rehab, open of Cafe Sabor

http://www.standard.net/Business/201...-new-life.html

Last edited by Stenar; Aug 17, 2016 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 8:25 PM

The Junction Apartments rising in downtown Ogden.

http://www.utahprojects.info/Project...ion-Apartments

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 5:13 PM

The Ogden Riverfront Parkway development is looking really nice. It has an eclectic mix of urban residential and commercial.

http://www.utahprojects.info/Project...nt-development!

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 10:27 PM
Expatriate

Powder Mountain announces expansion, adds two new lifts

A DNews article today discussed another large expansion for Powder Mountain, bringing skiiable terrain to 8,400 acres. The article also mentions a new town is in the works:

Quote:
Additionally, the resort is developing an as yet unnamed town that will be modeled after the Swiss town of Wengen and similar in size to the historical parts of Aspen and Telluride in Colorado
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ts.html?pg=all

Photo by Marshall Birnbaum, Powder Mountain

Here is the Standard-Examiner's take: http://www.standard.net/Recreation/2...-United-States

And even Forbes picked up the press release and did a nice little feature: http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm.../#75290832f253

Last edited by Utaaah!; Nov 8, 2016 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 12:25 AM

Thanks for posting that Utaaah. Exciting things are happening over the next few years for Powder Mtn. That Resort has incredible potential. I'm excited about their plans for the Village, as it sounds like it will have a very authentic vibe to it.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 2:59 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

My Stake President back when I was a boy posted this really cool old pic of Val Verda with an explanation. For those of you who don't know what Val Verda is, it's the area that formed between Bountiful and North Salt Lake that was eventually annexed into Bountiful City in the 80's.

What I found so facsinating is how much it remembles places currently being filled in with sprawl in the Wasatch Metro today. There's a certain pattern to it. You have the original towns with their own freeway exit(s) and then in between you have another exit added and a more free form sprawling community that connects these old towns. When I saw this pic I immediately thought of the second freeway exit south of the old town portion of Santaquin. I have a feeling there are many forgotten gravel pits and creek indentations in our current urban footprint along the Wasatch Front Metro.

Val Verda (Bountiful) Sometime Between 1932-1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Siddoway via Facebook
Last night at our annual neighborhood Christmas party, I was given a copy of this picture of the Val Verda area. The picture was taken from the southeast corner of what is now 3100 South and 400 East. The Phillips 66 refinery can be seen in the distance. It was built in 1932. Jay Winter's home is not yet built. It was built in 1947. So the picture was taken somewhere in that window. Our house is built where the first building east of 200 East is shown. It was a prison blockhouse that was used to house the prisoners who were digging the canals. I have a bronze key and a doorknob I found while tilling our back yard.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:31 AM

Found this conceptual pic of the planned village for Powder Mountain. Very excited about the future for this resort. They added a lot of lift serviced terrain this season.
I've been following their snow totals, and they're off to a great start for 2016/2017. Also, the new Cherry Peak up Logan way has had a great past 2015/2016 season, and has
already added an additional lift for 2016/17.

http://www.ibigroup.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utaaah! View Post
A DNews article today discussed another large expansion for Powder Mountain, bringing skiiable terrain to 8,400 acres. The article also mentions a new town is in the works:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ts.html?pg=all

Photo by Marshall Birnbaum, Powder Mountain

Here is the Standard-Examiner's take: http://www.standard.net/Recreation/2...-United-States

And even Forbes picked up the press release and did a nice little feature: http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm.../#75290832f253

Last edited by delts145; Dec 30, 2016 at 10:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:11 PM

This is great for that area. It's about time they make the road between Paradise/Avon and Liberty Eden into a 2 lane paved hwy! This will do a few things:
1-Give Cache Valley people an easier route to Powder Mt and the other Weber County resorts.
2-Allow Powder Mt to start marketing to the Cache Valley Market with a safer road route.

The south end of Cache Valley is estimated to see big growth in the next 10 to 15 years and it can only help spread the access to the ski resorts with a well built road. This is part of a master plan for the Wasatch back, so it's not like this is out of left field.

Farther south on the Wasatch Back, would love to see this land turn into a Nordic/Alpine/Snowmobile ski resort. Probably not on the scale of Midway but you can imagine. Utah needs to get more resorts, we are over crowding the ones we have now.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42381647&ni...price-is-right

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:04 AM

^^^
Agree... Speaking of the Wasatch Back and growth, I see where Wasatch County is the fastest growing county in the State this past year.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 4:31 PM

The road up to Powder Mountain from Eden/Liberty needs to be improved before any real growth can occur at the resort. It is an incredibly steep road. Even with a 4WD vehicle, it is scary to attempt to drive up to PM in the winter. I can't imagine a viable hotel/residential component to the resort until a better road is built.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Route_158
Quote:
The road to Powder Mountain is one of the steepest state highways in Utah with an average grade of approximately 14% over 5 miles

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
The road up to Powder Mountain from Eden/Liberty needs to be improved before any real growth can occur at the resort. It is an incredibly steep road. Even with a 4WD vehicle, it is scary to attempt to drive up to PM in the winter. I can't imagine a viable hotel/residential component to the resort until a better road is built.
I think they are in process of building a new road. I haven't looked at any plans but when I was up there this last fall looking at a project, they were building a rather wide road down another canyon. I guessing this would make access to the resort easier than driving up to Wolf Creek and then up the canyon. If they were to leave this as the only access you would be a good 30 to 45 mins from Wolf Creek to the new lodge/resort.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 5:18 PM

It looks like Bountiful City has scrapped their plans for the new city hall and public plaza after much public uproar. I didn't really mind the fact that they were going to build a new city hall but I did not like the fact that the historic Stoker School was going to be demolished. The article doesn't say whether the school will now be saved or not, but I hope it is.

http://davisclipper.com/view/full_st...ject?instance=

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West