HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:02 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Yorkville is just Toronto's Yaletown, IMO. Their equivalent of Gastown is something like Kensington Market, isn't it?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:43 AM
testify

4th most "stylish" hood in the world? hm. good for vancouver and gastown getting some recognition, but i don't think most people hanging around in 1eme paris or harajuku would slot vancouver between soho and kf-berlin for places they need to spend a week. also, wynwood sucks and is on this sort of list as a name-check for the art basel crowd who want to sniff at miami beach a bit but not too much.

1. 1st Arrondissement, Paris
2. Harajuku, Tokyo
3. SoHo, New York
4. Gastown, Vancouver
5. Kreuzber-Friedrichshain, Berlin
6. Wynwood, Miami
7. Sodermalm, Sweden
8. Ladbrooke Grove, London
9. Central Districk, Hong Kong
10. Brera, Italy

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 6:16 PM

albeit there is some cool stuff in Gastown, and it is definitely one of the best neighborhoods in Vancouver but I do believe it will never get to the heights of SOHO or Harajuku because the rents will get to high, and the chains will move in. There are landlords who are holding out specifically for a Cactus or Earls to take their space. It is Yaletown in the making IMO but that seems to be the way that everywhere ends up in Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Yorkville is just Toronto's Yaletown, IMO. Their equivalent of Gastown is something like Kensington Market, isn't it?
I would have thought Yorkville would be Canada's answer to Manhattan's Upper East Side, but who can say ....
Regarding Gastown making that list, wouldn't there be areas like St. Kilda in Melbourne, Vieux Montréal, and districts in other large global cities, that would beat it out, hands down? Are we getting a little carried away here? Or am I wrong?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment