HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Which is most connected to Africa/Africans in terms of influence?
Washington DC area 3 6.12%
Baltimore area 1 2.04%
NYC 8 16.33%
Atlanta 3 6.12%
Houston 2 4.08%
Toronto 0 0%
Montreal 2 4.08%
London (England) 6 12.24%
Paris (France) 19 38.78%
Other 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 12:14 PM
if I sang out of tune

Thanks to the ongoing security situations in the past few years (for example Egypt went from 15 million tourists a year to 9 million) the West African coast is also opening up, notably Cape Verde, Gambia and even Sierra Leone and Western Sahara - cheap flights, winter sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgnBkFOt0wE

www.riuagents.com

Gambia:

www.travelweekly.co.uk

https://images.trvl-media.com

For more upmarket (they're further afield and thus fall out of the lower middle class European spectrum) it's Kenya, Tanzania, Seychelles, Mauritius and South Africa (each a mix of safari and white sand coast). Mozambique is the jewel in the crown for the world's best beaches, and Namibia for its haunting landscapes and wildlife, but both more for the adventurous still.

Mozambique:

https://cdn.audleytravel.com

Last edited by muppet; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 2:25 PM

Define Africa. All of Africa? Then I choose Paris.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:42 PM

Gambia has been a winter sun destination for UK tourists for a long time but recent political developments have put those tourism links in jeopardy. I'm not sure those tourism links really mean that any UK cities have a strong connection to The Gambia though, most people on those kind of holidays probably never leave their hotel grounds.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I guess you could also argue for the smaller cities on the south coast of Spain which have regular ferries going back and forth from Morocco every day, or maybe somewhere like Marseille with a big Maghrebian population too?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think Paris wins even if limited to sub-Saharan Africa. Then London. Then New York.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:25 PM
An Optimistic Realist

With this and the Asian thread, are you asking about influence? Because that's a different question from flight connections and immigrant population from those areas.

Paris has a lot of Africans but do they influence Parisian culture to the same extent that African American culture influences New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, etc. Does London's Nigerians and Jamaicans push above their weight to have their culture influence the city itself? Need more first hand accounts along with the numbers.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:29 PM
if I sang out of tune

LONDON non-stops.

I'll exclude the African islands administrated by Europe such as the Canaries, Azores and Madeira:

British Airways - Abuja, Accra, Agadir, Cairo, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Lagos, Luanda, Nairobi, Victoria-Seychelles
Ethiopian Airlines - Addis Ababa
Air Algerie - Algiers
Egypt Air- Cairo
Virgin Atlantic - Cape Town, Johannesburg, Lagos
Royal Air Maroc - Casablanca
South African Airways - Johannesburg
Arik Air - Lagos
Air Mauritius - Port Louis
Kenya Airways - Nairobi
Tunisair - Tunis

Gatwick

British Airways - Cape Town, Port Louis-Mauritius
Thomsonfly - Agadir, Marrakech, Hurghada, Marsa Alam, Sharm El Sheikh, Port Louis-Mauritius, Praia - Cape Verde
Easyjet- Agadir, Marrakech, Hurghada
TUI Airways - Agadir, Marrakech, Hurghada, Marsa Alam, Port Louis-Mauritius, Praia-Cape Verde
Thomas Cook Airlines - Banjul-Gambia, Hurghada, Marsa Alam, Cape Town, Port Louis-Mauritius, Praia- Cape Verde
First Choice - Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Cape Town, Praia-Cape Verde
Medview Airlines - Lagos

Stansted

Easyjet - Fez
Ryanair -Agadir, Fez
TAP Portugal - Fez

Last edited by muppet; Feb 9, 2018 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:38 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

As for diasporas:

In the US I'd say NYC, Washington DC and Minneapolis.

In Europe, I'd say Paris then London.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:56 PM
if I sang out of tune

London has over 1 million Nigerians alone, who are followed by Ghanaians and South Africans each over 100,000. Nigerians may now be the largest minority, and in terms of visitors they are London's biggest tourist spenders too. Money talks.

One very visible trend is the popularity of afroprint and style the kids today wear

and several Afropunk festivals and events

http://rokit.assets.d3r.com

so a big cultural shift...

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/...yor-of-london/

...away from the Caribbeans, who once numbered 700,000 but has since halved as people move up and out to the leafier suburbs. Jamaicans are a very big cultural influence current music genre (influence such as soca, dancehall, funky, grime, UK garage), food, patois a heavy influence on the London accent etc. But arguably in terms of per capita Trindadians have exerted the most - only 26,000 but they gave birth to the Notting Hill Carnival, the city's biggest event and long the second biggest carnival after Rio, with over a million punters.

https://static.standard.co.uk

Last edited by muppet; Feb 8, 2018 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:29 PM
Pay it Forward

An observation I made a few years ago while over on the continent is that Beijing has been very busy in Africa lately.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 9:25 PM

Paris by a long long long shot if we count north africa into consideration as well.

Demographic wise that is.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
With this and the Asian thread, are you asking about influence? Because that's a different question from flight connections and immigrant population from those areas.

Paris has a lot of Africans but do they influence Parisian culture to the same extent that African American culture influences New York, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, etc. Does London's Nigerians and Jamaicans push above their weight to have their culture influence the city itself? Need more first hand accounts along with the numbers.
I would not say africans in paris are as inluental as AFRICAN-AMERICANS which are of course born as raised since generations back.

However they are way more influential than FORST OR SECOND GENERATION africans in any north american city.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:32 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

According to Wikipedia there are 200,000 british Nigerians. Muppets figure of 1000000 in London alone sounds like an exaggeration

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 11:35 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
I would not say africans in paris are as inluental as AFRICAN-AMERICANS which are of course born as raised since generations back.

However they are way more influential than FORST OR SECOND GENERATION africans in any north american city.
With muppet's post on London, I can see the African influence there. But I haven't seen evidence of Paris' sub Saharan African influence. Is it similar to London?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 1:31 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ well with 5 million Nigerians living there, out of London's current population of 30 million, no wonder the influence is so big.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Well, with this, and the Asian thread (as well as my previous, earlier European one), I was thinking of overall influence from all spheres of influence, cultural, economic, social etc. that can include immigration and travel but more than that too.

Quote:
With muppet's post on London, I can see the African influence there. But I haven't seen evidence of Paris' sub Saharan African influence. Is it similar to London?
For Paris, I'm thinking there might be both French-speaking sub Saharan African influence (eg. Senegal), in addition to North African influence (eg. Algeria).

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
^ well with 5 million Nigerians living there, out of London's current population of 30 million, no wonder the influence is so big.
I think your numbers are off

Nigerians have 10 million living in ther greater metro area of 100 million Londonites

There is no city on earth as great and so multi cultured and connected as the first level Alpha wolf triple AAAA rated global center of the plant than London save a few Chinese megalopolis’sin the world. No other city can even compare. London dominates every single measure ever made.

Every other city in the world is at best third rate. The rest of the global cities will never do what London does in a day

If I did not have a job I would post at lest 30 pictures of the best and worst in the London metro area but alas I have to work I. The morn

Perhaps this weekend when I’m off I can do these things. Esp the multi cultural things tha only London can do in spades.

There are no second rates. It’s London and than the rest of the

megalopolis that is not London come in a very distant third.

I’m looking at you Tokyo, NYC ext

Last edited by bnk; Feb 9, 2018 at 3:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:12 AM

dp
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
London or Paris
This. These countries colonized Africa until fairly recently.

There are probably more white South Africans and Zimbabweans in London than there are actual Africans in any American city outside of NYC. Let alone the Nigerians, Ghanaians, Kenyans, etc.

And for Paris, remember that the Maghreb is still Africa, in addition to the French-speaking countries in West Africa.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_French

What are people thinking when they pick Baltimore? Or even Atlanta. Black American != African.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:26 AM

I think it is safe to say that whilst London has a sizable Nigerian foreign-born community, it isn’t close to 1mn; at the last count it stood at 94,000. That is still a very large figure of course; New York’s total African FBC stands at just 141,198 and Los Angeles at 24,081. The total figure for London is 573,000.

Paris has several sizable African FBC’s, perhaps the Parisian forum members may be able to provide some data for Greater Paris. It’ll be a toss-up between Paris and London.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions