HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:14 AM
Closed account

For once, we’re not asking for more money: Don Iveson

If only more conservatives from Alberta could be like Edmonton Mayor Don Iverson.
This is what this remarkable man had the say about the Federal, Municipal, Provincial relationship in terms of Infrastructure
https://globalnews.ca/news/4030396/d...ructure-money/

“To have a federal government that shares that vision … allows us to not trip over the fact that one mayor is building bus rapid-transit while another mayor is building rail-based transit … You find remarkable unity around the table.”

This never happened with the Stephen harper conservative government in power.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
BTW can we just take a minute to appreciate the absurdity of bashing a politician because they listen to something people want?
It's actually not that absurd when you think about it. "The people" aren't always going to clamor for what is the right thing to do in the long term. For example, raising gas taxes is something that is rarely popular. Same thing with raising the sales tax (Alberta's a perfect example there). And tolls, same thing - if you ask Joe Six Pack if he'd rather be able to cross a given bridge for free or have to pay every time he does it, what do you expect will be the overwhelming answer?

When politicians are too electoralist/populist, it can easily create problems later (the typical "giving people unsustainable goodies for a short term electoral advantage while kicking that can down the road" behavior we unfortunately keep seeing).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
When Justin Trudeau invited guests to see Come From Away on Broadway, a couple of hundred didn't even bother to RSVP

The Canadian government splashed out $23,000 on 502 tickets to a performance in New York City, but many invitees weren't bothered

OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau famously came from away to see a Broadway musical about Newfoundland hospitality — but not all those he invited were as eager to attend.

According to an access-to-information response obtained by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, the Canadian government bought 502 tickets to a performance of Come From Away in New York City last summer.

Even though more than 700 VIPs were invited, only 276 said yes. A larger contingent either sent their regrets (197 people) or didn’t bother to respond (227).

It was well-reported that U.S. President Donald Trump’s daughter, Ivanka Trump, went to the performance. Even so, her name doesn’t appear in the list.

According to the documents, the tickets cost just under US$18,000, or about $23,000 Canadian.

It’s not the first time questions have been raised about Trudeau’s social circles. Party fundraisers attended by high-profile Chinese business people have come under scrutiny, and security concerns were raised around guest lists at events in India, where an attempted murderer ended up being photographed with Trudeau’s wife.

“So you have at least two instances where there is a potential conflict or concern,” Wudrick said. “And so I think it’s legitimate for Canadians to know who the prime minister is hanging out with when he’s abroad. And this would certainly count.”

Full story at http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...ime=1520897415
It's not at all clear to me what the issue is here, or how the guest list to the NYC event, generated by the ConGen in NYC one would assume, raises any questions about who Trudeau associates with on travels abroad. Is it that they were only able to get the attendance stats under AtoI rather than the list of attendees? The headline seems to highlight the number of people who didn't RSVP, but that doesn't seem much of an issue.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If they were rubbed the wrong way by the flag mixup, at least to make up for it they were rubbed the right way by the fact that JT was dressed in an over-the-top folkloric Belgian dress to receive them, right?
Is it worth noting that the event in question was with the GG, not the PM?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
If they were rubbed the wrong way by the flag mixup, at least to make up for it they were rubbed the right way by the fact that JT was dressed in an over-the-top folkloric Belgian dress to receive them, right?
Traditional Wallonian festive costumes.

If JT put one on I want pictures - now!!!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is it worth noting that the event in question was with the GG, not the PM?
It could.
As a member of the military I am disappointed that not one of the 3 aids-de-camp spotted the error before the press.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
It could.
As a member of the military I am disappointed that not one of the 3 aids-de-camp spotted the error before the press.
I guess even aides-de-camp can get a "C" in vexillology.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
It's actually not that absurd when you think about it. "The people" aren't always going to clamor for what is the right thing to do in the long term. For example, raising gas taxes is something that is rarely popular. Same thing with raising the sales tax (Alberta's a perfect example there). And tolls, same thing - if you ask Joe Six Pack if he'd rather be able to cross a given bridge for free or have to pay every time he does it, what do you expect will be the overwhelming answer?

When politicians are too electoralist/populist, it can easily create problems later (the typical "giving people unsustainable goodies for a short term electoral advantage while kicking that can down the road" behavior we unfortunately keep seeing).
The other problem is that populism is usually only for the benefit of a small, vocal group of people, for example opposers to that gas plant in Mississauga or extremists opposed to Trans Mountain in Burnaby. The supposed benefits to this group of people are usually imaginary, vague or just apparent property value protection, but the negative costs to wider society are much greater and more important.

Now, in part because of the gas plant decision, Ontarians pay sky high electricity, and if Kinder Morgan walks away from building Trans Mountain our whole country's economy will suffer - from that blow plus the knock on effect of other companies seeing the caustic environment major projects are forced to work in here in Canada and just not bothering.

This is why anyone with even a modicum of intelligence should be opposed to populist policies, except on the rare occasion it matches good policy. We can see fantastically bad examples of populism down south, such as these steel tariffs which will benefit 140,000 steel workers, yet cause disbenefits not only to 60 times more workers that work in industries supplied with steel, but also the wider US economy and annoy the US's trading partners. But hooray for populism, right? As those 140,000 workers are super happy and love Trump now.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I blame RMC!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:26 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
It would require not recognizing the flag of Germany as such. That isn’t some arcane piece of vexillogical trivia. I’d say an “F” would be in order, if not outright expulsion.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:29 PM
Pro Trivia Player

In fairness it was only a small flag attached with a ribbon (and a Canadian flag) on a maple tree where they went to get some sap.

It wasn't something like an official flag on a stand on a podium during a ceremony.

Still an embarrassing blunder of course.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In fairness it was only a small flag attached with a ribbon (and a Canadian flag) on a maple tree where they went to get some sap.

It wasn't something like an official flag on a stand on a podium during a ceremony.

To their credit, Public Works did put up the correct flag/banners along the ceremonial way.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:

It is often noted that the best leaders are only recognized only in hindsight.

Jean Chretien shoved the 1995 federal budget down Canadians' throats. It was awful tasting medicine, but it set the country on the path to fiscal solvency.

Long-term sustainability often does not align with short-term political goals. Let the problems fester long enough and you end like Italy, or Greece.

Winston Churchill didn't promise Britons a quick victory in WWII. He promised them "blood, toil, tears, and sweat".

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:26 AM
Identity Condiment

So, Wynne forcing things on us is good and Ford's populism is bad? Interesting. We'll see how things look today, 20 years from now.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
So, Wynne forcing things on us is good and Ford's populism is bad? Interesting. We'll see how things look today, 20 years from now.
I didn't mention any political party, nor leaders.

It comes down to what you think a long-term goal should be for a particular country or region.

That being said - in my opinion, long-term plans should account for demographic changes, in Canada's case, the aging of the Baby Boom generation and how that will impact Canada.

Thus, I believe that a fiscally conservative approach to budgeting while times are good - keeping debt levels low - will be of great help when demand for services such as healthcare, CPP and OAS rise in the future.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I didn't mention any political party, nor leaders.

It comes down to what you think a long-term goal should be for a particular country or region.

That being said - in my opinion, long-term plans should account for demographic changes, in Canada's case, the aging of the Baby Boom generation and how that will impact Canada.

Thus, I believe that a fiscally conservative approach to budgeting while times are good - keeping debt levels low - will be of great help when demand for services such as healthcare, CPP and OAS rise in the future.
It’s ok, they’ll just be told that they are asking for more than the government has is all.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

This is why anyone with even a modicum of intelligence should be opposed to populist policies, except on the rare occasion it matches good policy. We can see fantastically bad examples of populism down south, such as these steel tariffs which will benefit 140,000 steel workers, yet cause disbenefits not only to 60 times more workers that work in industries supplied with steel, but also the wider US economy and annoy the US's trading partners. But hooray for populism, right? As those 140,000 workers are super happy and love Trump now.
USA had much higher tarrifs in place only a few years ago then what is proposed now. Also, markets would be in the toilet if the general consensus, for those with money, actually thought the tarrifs were truly bad. This will be another example of the status quo getting it wrong. Places like China and South Korea have aggressive tarrifs to soley benefit thier economy and nobody blinks.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:58 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

As a fun experiment, I showed my 4 year old this picture earlier this morning and asked him to identify the flags. He did not hesitate. Canada and Germany.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As a fun experiment, I showed my 4 year old this picture earlier this morning and asked him to identify the flags. He did not hesitate. Canada and Germany.

I'll one-up him, I can immediately identify not only both these flags but also (from the bark) the Sugar Maple they're attached to.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Proving yet again that an average four year old is smarter than a Liberal!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada