HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Canada's Second and Saskatchewan's first Diverging Diamond opened last week! 20 months ahead of schedule!

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4569583
These are fantastic!!! Would love to see this in Vancouver. Although since this seems to help drivers and reduce congestion we will probably never get one

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
They say you can watch your dog run away for three days.
You can see your dog run for five or six days from Calgary as long as they are heading east. Your town in on a hill after all.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 1:11 AM

GTA highway vid:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:55 AM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephersir7 View Post
Thanks for that. Very cool.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Canada's newest dog bone roundabout interchange on Highway 15 in Moncton (at the boundary of Moncton east & Dieppe):

They've already widened the overpass, but the actual dog bone construction is this year. There will be massive traffic chaos as a result. Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd is the major crosstown arterial on the eastern edge of Moncton, connects two industrial parks, and is a principle exit for the international airport.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 4:09 AM

Out of curiosity, if Québec is to complete the missing link of Route 138 (Chemin du Roy), how many bridges is it going to require? (I'm already thinking about ~500.) The terrain looks very "watery" between Kagaska and Blanc-Sablon.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephersir7 View Post
If there are no substantial cuts to the video, that car is travelling more than 2000 km/hr. Somehow doesn't look like it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 6:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, rural NLers don't like the way the city is going with roundabouts on major highways.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
So, rural NLers don't like the way the city is going with roundabouts on major highways.

Video Link
Roundabouts are great especially to move traffic at off peak times when it seems silly to wait for the traffic light to give you a green light when there is nobody around.

I do find that rural folks don't like them for their sheer unfamiliarity and very few people use their rear signals when they are in them.

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-st...-a-roundabout/

I must say that until about 10 years ago, I'd gone on more roundabouts in the UK and Ireland where no two roundabouts seem the same ranging from:

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/...ine_-_4700.JPG

to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

I drove this a few times...I wouldn't want a small town canadian person to drive on this.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...1.771472?hl=en

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:26 AM
The Vomit Bag.

roundabouts on suburban side-streets are a nightmare for pedestrians. The cars never stop. you can be halfway across the road, and they will mow you down, even when you are walking your kids to school. And they are just wretched when there is deep snow....constant turning means sliding, and the snow plows cannot seem to remove the snow properly.

While I am ranting, why the fuck isn't there any pedestrian cross-walks in London Ontario, other than at street corners? I can dodge 6 lanes of traffic to get to the nearest park, or I can walk more than 1 km up or down the boulevard to cross at the traffic light. Asinine.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
roundabouts on suburban side-streets are a nightmare for pedestrians. The cars never stop. you can be halfway across the road, and they will mow you down, even when you are walking your kids to school. And they are just wretched when there is deep snow....constant turning means sliding, and the snow plows cannot seem to remove the snow properly.

While I am ranting, why the fuck isn't there any pedestrian cross-walks in London Ontario, other than at street corners? I can dodge 6 lanes of traffic to get to the nearest park, or I can walk more than 1 km up or down the boulevard to cross at the traffic light. Asinine.
I think about this all the time too. Roundabouts are supposed to be immensely better for moving traffic at intersections, but it's so much more pleasant as a pedestrian to cross at a light rather than staring to your left waiting for someone to stop for you.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I guess they should put four pedestrian-activated crosswalks across each street leading into the roundabout, a few metres away from the actual circle.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
I guess they should put four pedestrian-activated crosswalks across each street leading into the roundabout, a few metres away from the actual circle.
Yeah that can work for sure if there isn't too much pedestrian traffic in the area, but if there is then the cars never get to go. I think roundabout placement is very context dependent because of this.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 8:24 PM

Fredericton's Roundabouts tend to have the crosswalks about a car length back from the actual roundabout.

In some cases, there is an island, so you're only crossing one lane at a time.

For Fredericton's most famous roundabout, there is only one pedestrian crossing. It has an island, and is signalled.

We have smaller roundabouts, with less traffic so the pedestrian crossings aren't really a problem.

I suspect when they put a roundabout on Smythe @ Woodstock road, they will have islands and crossing signals for pedestrians at all entrances and exits, since that intersection is high traffic and high pedestrian traffic.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:07 PM

Even with the islands though, I still find hem uncomfortable. I hate the uncertainty of if a car will stop or not, having to be on alert for what's happening. It's so much calmer just to get the green light and go, knowing that even if cars do pull up, they have to stop. Then all you have to look out for are careless turners.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:32 PM

Round abouts are good at moving traffic, if installed in the right location. One recently installed on a rural highway west of the city here has reduced the accident rate and has less traffic standing stationary.

Alberta Highway 633 and 44. Just up the highway there are to 4 way stops and the traffic ties up pretty good in the morning and late afternoon.

As a cyclist its great fun to rip through there in a pack.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Even with the islands though, I still find hem uncomfortable. I hate the uncertainty of if a car will stop or not, having to be on alert for what's happening. It's so much calmer just to get the green light and go, knowing that even if cars do pull up, they have to stop. Then all you have to look out for are careless turners.
As a pedestrian, I haven't had to cross any of Freddy's roundabouts, but the island design does conceptually seem to make it feel safer. It means I only have to wait for one direction at a time to be clear before I start crossing (or for one direction to yield to me). Admittedly I don't have the extra reassurance of having the light in my favour; but I do only have to look in one direction (as opposed to 2 or 3 directions, even if the light is in my favour) and I can wait until I feel safe to cross. After all, even with traffic lights, when a pedestrian gets the walk signal, it usually means traffic going parallel to the crossing also has the green signal, so traffic turning will be turning into the crosswalk; so a pedestrian has to be aware of the traffic next to them both ahead and behind them that might be turning.

As a driver and a pedestrian, I don't have any problems with the roundabouts in Fredericton so far, and I'm honestly looking forward to some of the planned and rumoured ones that are coming (Smythe @ Woodstock, RingRoad @ 2Nations Crossing, RingRoad @ Brookside). While many people in city still bemoan the Route 8 Roundabout at the top of Smythe, it does seem to be working, and it is certainly a strong connector we greatly needed. Whether I'm going to the mall from the Northside, or coming into the city and heading across the river, the roundabout just feels like a faster route than all the traffic lights on Regent or heading down Prospect.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:11 PM

True, but I guess to me there's just a clearer understanding of who has priority at a signalized intersection between a crossing pedestrian and a turning car. In a roundabout, there's an ambiguity about it. Will the car stop? Should it? I hate crossing those slip-turn islands for the same reason.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
That's what they've done in Ottawa.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada