HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I have heard some complaints about baby carrots because they are kinda wasteful and overpriced (just regular carrots cut down to size), but certainly nothing *that* ridiculous!
I've always wondered what they do with the carrot waste left over from the "whittling". Bag o'salad?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:54 PM

I'm pretty sure the rest of the carrots becomes the thin grated-style scraps that get used in salads. Would make no sense to waste it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For the record, it's a very common signature on teenager social media accounts here in Quebec. So I didn't invent it!
I didn't know that! I'm not very connected to current teen culture at the moment, obviously.

In a SSP Canada context, one can't help but feel you refer to equalization from Ottawa buying your friendship with that line.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 10:14 PM
True North

LOL. This thread has taken an interesting turn from discussing "Trying to Erase John A. MacDonald from History" to Baby Carrots.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 1:50 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I didn't know that! I'm not very connected to current teen culture at the moment, obviously.

In a SSP Canada context, one can't help but feel you refer to equalization from Ottawa buying your friendship with that line.
HAHA! That's great. I didn't even think of that.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I have heard some complaints about baby carrots because they are kinda wasteful and overpriced (just regular carrots cut down to size), but certainly nothing *that* ridiculous!

The baby carrot came from the refusal of supermarkets to accept "ugly" carrots. So until the creation of "baby carrots" these rejected carrots were either tossed out or turned into animal feed.

Listen to this episode of Terry O'Reilly's "Under the Influence". Which oddly just came out the other day.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfl...cado-1.4513613

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We'll also likely be looked upon very harshly for our unwillingness to find a lasting solution to the global problem of hunger. Especially since a solution is definitely within our grasp, but we're collectively unwilling to sacrifice even a smidgen of comfort or even forgo version 7 of the latest gadget and settle for version 6, in order to prevent millions from dying from malnutrition or starvation every year.
Yes although a lot of problems like this that are hard to solve require collective action and when it comes to the worst ones we are trapped in a giant prisoner's dilemma. Humans are often trapped in larger systems that force them to make decisions that are harmful at a societal level to achieve positive personal outcomes. This is why capitalism causes so many bad things to happen and it's why people were murdering each other in the 1700's.

You can either blame the people trapped inside these systems for not becoming martyrs or you can try to understand the forces at play. If I had to bet though I would bet that you are correct and 200 years from now there will still be people who don't understand this dynamic and choose the first option.

Quote:
I think that our overall treatment of the poor, especially children and the elderly, will be shocking to people in the future.
I think our criminal justice system will stand out as being barbaric. It operates on a large scale, it's cruel, and it's irrational and ineffective.

I also think the free market capitalist system we have today will look really silly in the future, if we continue to progress. It might even be replaced with something more closely resembling the never-fully-realized 1950's Soviet dream command economy.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:42 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think our criminal justice system will stand out as being barbaric. It operates on a large scale, it's cruel, and it's irrational and ineffective.

I also think the free market capitalist system we have today will look really silly in the future, if we continue to progress. It might even be replaced with something more closely resembling the never-fully-realized 1950's Soviet dream command economy.
I confidently predict that our predictions about what will look silly in the future will look silly in the future.

What the future thinks of us will probably have to do with something that we're barely aware of or which (to our minds, if they could jump into that future) is being completely misunderstood or misconstrued by the future people, likely for the political purposes of their own time.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I confidently predict that our predictions about what will look silly in the future will look silly in the future.

What the future thinks of us will probably have to do with something that we're barely aware of or which (to our minds, if they could jump into that future) is being completely misunderstood or misconstrued by the future people, likely for the political purposes of their own time.
Donald Rumsfeld correctly predicted all of this in 2002 with his famous known knowns (or unknown unknowns? known unknowns?) speech.

I agree that there will be new concepts and ways of looking at the world that will be completely novel, and that we have blind spots today that will disappear in the future. These factors will invalidate our predictions in many areas. But I have also noticed how the best thinkers of past generations have often made good predictions or come up with models that turned out to be ahead of their time, even if they were unpopular back then. A lot of our progressive ideas today were rare as far as the general population goes in 1920 but were fairly popular among more educated people.

Some of this is selection bias but I don't think it is all selection bias.

Sweet exists by convention, bitter by convention, colour by convention; atoms and Void [alone] exist in reality.

That was Democritus circa 400 BC.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 6:04 PM

A little tidbit in the news today, Sherbrooke decided its Amherst Street was here to stay. (I didn't even need to lift a finger as a citizen opposed to name changes, they did it all without me.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada