HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
This stood out for me:

Bruce Bowser: "We've got a great ownership group that's well funded that doesn't just include myself and Anthony up here on the stage there's some great local business people and individuals in the region that are part of the ownership group"

Bowser also used the figure of 200 million when discussing the stadium

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 12:40 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Hamilton officially confirms the rumoured hire of Jerry Glanville as new DC. The Tiger-Cats transformation into the 1990's Atlanta Falcons is getting closer.

https://www.tsn.ca/glanville-joins-t...s-dc-1.1009061
That's closer to the NFL than Toronto will ever get.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:18 AM

Regina’s Gary Drummond On The CFL In Halifax
620 CKRM Regina Rod Pedersen February 27, 2018

Regina/Phoenix businessman Gary Drummond is one of the driving forces behind landing a CFL expansion franchise for Halifax and getting a stadium built in the Maritime city.

Drummond was the majority owner of the NHL’s Arizona Coyotes, buying the franchise in 2013 with IceArizona, until selling the team to Andrew Barroway last June.

Drummond joined 620 CKRM’s SportsCage on Tuesday to discuss the CFL project, and his partners Anthony Leblanc and Bruce Bowser.

“As you know Anthony Leblanc and I were partners with the Arizona Coyotes for four years and became quite good colleagues and friends,” Drummond Tuesday said from his home in Phoenix. “This was really his initiative and the third guy in our partnership, Bruce Bowser, had been organizing his own group. Anthony took it upon himself and approached Bruce, and we joined forces. When I was asked to be involved, it didn’t take me long to get excited about the project and working on it.”

If the group’s intention was to create a buzz, they certainly did that as the Halifax franchise is the #1 topic in the CFL at this point in the off-season. However Drummond said there’s still plenty of work ahead.

“There’s a logical order or progression and the first thing we need to do is secure a conditional franchise from the CFL, which would be conditional upon us being the catalyst for a new stadium in the Atlantic region,” Drummond advised. “We actually expect to have a proposal from the league in the next week or two. From our side, we’re hopeful that what the league comes up with is something we can accept and move onto the bigger challenge of putting a proposal to the three levels of government, the Province, the City and the Federal Government regarding the financing of a new stadium.”

From media reports tracking the situation, Anthony Leblanc has been doing most of the legwork by meeting with local politicians to gauge interest in financing a stadium.

“It’s gone very positively and it’s a very good climate at the City, the Province and I think at the Federal level as well,” Drummond continued. “The timing is very good but still, in all cases they want the private sector to be the driving force and we understand that. So far it’s been very positive but there’s lots of wood to chop yet.”

Drummond said despite selling the Coyotes, he’s attended all but two of their games this season and he’s eager to get back into pro sports at the ownership level.

“I had a great experience with the NHL and would’ve liked to stayed longer because the team is just starting to show the way the organization has developed the past couple of years,” Drummond explained. “I think the future of the team on the ice is pretty bright. That did whet my appetite for building an organization and the excitement that follows. I really enjoyed working with the hockey operations people and the corporate sponsors. I enjoyed it all. The CFL is different than the NHL but there are a lot of similarities too.”

So while it seems the Halifax franchise is moving forward at a snail’s pace, Drummond made it clear that there’s been lots of work going on behind the scenes. So far, it’s been an enjoyable ride.

“I’m having lots of fun with it!” Drummond laughed. “I want to mention too that the Riders’ Wayne Morsky has been very helpful and supportive and Ottawa’s John Ruddy has been very helpful as well. Commissioner Randy Ambrosie, I can’t say enough good things about him. Even if we weren’t successful in getting the CFL franchise, I’d have nothing but positive things to say about the CFL. Likewise with the City of Halifax, from the Mayor on down and the Premier too, they’ve had open arms for us.

“If we do our job I think there’s a good possibility that we can get this thing going.”

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:21 AM
I am the law!

There we go. Unfortunate confirmation that this group is indeed a joke. Go luck with the Feds.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
There we go. Unfortunate confirmation that this group is indeed a joke. Go luck with the Feds.
You have inside info that they aren't looking at a P3 or have a relationship with Dal and or SMU that could get them federal money? Toronto people I guess are experts in how Maritime projects can get funding. East or west, Toronto knows best.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
On what basis?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 12:36 AM

Eastern Enthusiasm: Exclusive sit down with Maritime Football Ltd
cfl.ca March 2, 2018

Sit down with the founders of Maritime Football Limited, an organization working hard to bring a CFL franchise to Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63
Randy Ambrosie’s Atlantic Town Hall (Full video)

Bruce Bowser: "We've got a great ownership group that's well funded that doesn't just include myself and Anthony up here on the stage there's some great local business people and individuals in the region that are part of the ownership group"

Regina’s Gary Drummond On The CFL In Halifax

620 CKRM Regina Rod Pedersen February 27, 2018

Gary Drummond: "The third guy in our partnership, Bruce Bowser, had been organizing his own group. Anthony took it upon himself and approached Bruce, and we joined forces."
Wonder if Don Gardiner is part of the ownership group?

Field of dreams: Businessman floats idea of private funds to build outdoor Halifax stadium
Mayor Mike Savage said he'd welcome private investment, seating would be at about 20,000.
Yvette d'Entremont Metro May 18 2016

Don Gardiner - Born entrepreneur took talent from NB to NS
Ian Fairclough Chronicle Herald September 25, 2011

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:02 PM

CFL in Halifax to be Atlantic Canada's team
ROBERT WILLIAMS Telegraph-Journal March 12, 2018

Touchdown Atlantic packed thousands of fans into the Moncton Stadium to watch CFL action. With a CFL franchise in Halifax gaining steam, the potential ownership group is calling on all of Atlantic Canada to support the team.

Sitting in his room at the Westin Nova Scotian ahead of his last town hall meeting as new commissioner of the Canadian Football League, Randy Ambrosie said history was staring him in the face.

The hotel, built by the Canadian National Railway in 1928, stands as a symbol in Halifax of the railway that connected the country. Now, it's on Ambrosie's shoulders to hammer the last spike on the CFL.

“Before the railway was totally connected east to west, it had a missing track. You couldn’t call it complete," said Ambrosie. "I think not having a team in the Atlantic region is the same thing. I don’t think we call ourselves complete until we get that tenth team in that very special part of Canada.”

And for a 2021 CFL franchise to work, the team will be relying on more than just Halifax.

It's on all of Atlantic Canada's shoulders, he said.

"There's an authenticity to the people, a warmth and a friendliness that is real. It's quite remarkable, really," said Ambrosie. "You can feel that they want this."

From Edmundston to St. John's, this will be everyone's team, said Anthony LeBlanc, frontman of Maritime Football Ltd., the group trying to bring a CFL team to the East Coast.

To quantify it, the group is still waiting on the exact number from their economic impact study, but LeBlanc said he's expecting a need of about 30-50 per cent support from outside of the Halifax census metropolitan area.

'We have the momentum necessary'

LeBlanc has Maritime roots.

His mother was born in Woodstock, his father just outside Moncton. Although LeBlanc grew up in Thunder Bay, Ont., he started his career working in Fredericton.

He is a former RIM executive, and is best known as the former president, CEO, and alternate governor of the Arizona Coyotes of the National Hockey League.

He hopes to become part of the ownership team responsible for bringing a CFL franchise to Halifax.

“We’re coming on nine months now, and we definitely feel we have the momentum necessary to try and get this thing across the goal line,” said LeBlanc from his home in Ottawa.

He is not the first to try. The CFL granted a conditional expansion franchise in 1982 if a 30,000 seat stadium was built in time for the opening day of the 1984 season. The stadium was never built and the team never came.

More than three decades removed from that bid, the same problem exists today.

LeBlanc and founding partners Gary Drummond and Bruce Bowser are working with a number of land developers, but have not yet chosen a stadium location. That will be coming soon.

Working off the successful Ottawa Redblacks model and the 24,000 capacity TD Place Stadium, LeBlanc said 24,000 would be the "sweet spot" for a Halifax stadium.

Both Halifax Mayor Mike Savage and Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil are on the record as saying the stadium has to be private-sector led. LeBlanc said that is the plan moving forward.

Having a CFL franchise as an anchor tenant is critical, said LeBlanc, but he said they also plan on partnering with local universities and high schools, and will also use the facility to hold outdoor concerts.

The team will be putting in a bid to host the Grey Cup, he said.

Atlantic Canada's team

Social media has been abuzz in recent months with possible names for a Halifax expansion team. From the 1984 team name of the Atlantic Schooners to the Halifax Explosions, the name and logo has become a popular conversation for football fans.

"For one, yes, I can confirm the team will not be called the Roughriders," said LeBlanc, with a laugh. The CFL has been host to both the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Ottawa Rough Riders through its 100-plus year history.

"But 100 per cent, the team will be called the Atlantic something."

The reasoning behind that, he said, is the team is meant to represent all of Atlantic Canada. Although his group is called Maritime Football Ltd., he said it was only chosen as Atlantic Football Ltd. had already been taken.

In the past, the Atlantic provinces proved they will show up when the CFL comes to town.

Moncton has played host to three regular season CFL games since 2010. The first year 21,000 people packed Moncton Stadium, with about 20,000 in 2011 and 15,000 in 2013.

Will help grow the sport

For a young kid, there's nothing comparable to the feeling of watching a professional athlete in your own backyard.

They're real, tangible heroes that show if you work hard enough, you too can become a professional athlete.

"There's no question, a CFL team would have a huge impact on football in New Brunswick and registrations for our youth," said Josh Harris, Football New Brunswick executive director. "I think having role models for kids to look up to, and get to have experiences where they meet players and attend games, those experiences will be unbelievable."

That goes for Prince Edward Island as well.

Glen Flood is the executive director with Football PEI, and said if Touchdown Atlantic has taught us anything, it's that there is an interest for the sport in the region.

With the right plan in place for bus trips and hotel stays, he said you can count on the island to support the franchise.

Last edited by elly63; Mar 12, 2018 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:36 PM

To break up the Halifax talk, tomorrow could be a very important day for the concussion lawsuit against the CFL.

Supreme Court set to rule on concussion-related lawsuit against CFL
Gord Holder, Postmedia March 14, 2018

It could eventually lead to a milestone courtroom battle in Canada or it could mean that Canadian Football League players and alumni would have to settle for arbitration to pursue claims over head injuries.

The Supreme Court of Canada is expected to announce Thursday whether Arland Bruce will be granted leave to appeal British Columbia court rulings in a concussion-related lawsuit against the CFL and former commissioner Mark Cohon.

That ruling will come more than seven months after the initial filing of an application for leave to appeal, about 10 months after the British Columbia Court of Appeal ruled against Bruce, two years after his first legal setback in the Superior Court of British Columbia and nearly four years since the former wide receiver filed a lawsuit seeking compensation for brain damage he said was related to concussions during his 14-year CFL career.

Even if Bruce wins this week, the average time between the granting of leave to appeal and a hearing was 7.4 months in 2017, according to Supreme Court of Canada statistics, with another 4.6 months between a hearing and a judgment.

Combined, that would add another year to the process. Even then Bruce would still only know whether his claim for damages would be heard in court, as he desires, or before an arbitrator, as the CFL and Cohon have argued. Thus, the process that began in July 2014 could extend well into 2019 or into 2020 before a hearing in court or arbitration.

[continued in article]

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:34 PM

The Supreme Court has dismissed Arland's case as has been expected for a long time. I'm wondering if this will have any impact on the Lions attaining new ownership. I seem to recall hearing that one of the holdups with David Braley selling the Lions to potential new owners was the pending Arland lawsuit.

Last edited by 25grapes; Mar 15, 2018 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
The Supreme Court as dismissed Arland's case as has been expected for a long time. I'm wondering if this will have any impact on the Lions attaining new ownership. I seem to recall hearing that one of the holdups with David Braley selling the Lions to potential new owners was the pending Arland lawsuit.
I thought there was a 2nd law suit

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:40 PM

Anthony Calvillo is the new QB coach of the Argos

https://twitter.com/tsnmikehogan/sta...70150472384512

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:54 PM

Any of the Winnipeg posters planning on attending CFL Week? Should be a fun week for CFL fans.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:44 PM

^ Not really my thing but it should draw a crowd... it has been quite well publicized.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:12 PM

I was at the Regina CFL week which was well attended. I really enjoyed the numerous Q&A's with the players and TSN personalities.

The complex at Evraz place was well suited for an event like this and everything was under one roof in one location.

The displays and fan/player interaction was in the Banner Hall/Queensbury/Ag-Ex Building and the National Combine was in the Eventplex

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:54 PM

CFL to roll out new ball for 2018 season
CFL.ca Staff March 19, 2018

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) is rolling out a new and improved ball for the upcoming 2018 season.

“We are currently delivering to our teams a ball that is slightly different from the one we’ve used in the past,” said Ryan Janzen, Senior Director of Football Operations for the CFL.

“The new ball is virtually identical, to the eye, to the old one. It has the same laces and markings including our stripes. But it is made of a slightly harder leather. Our partners at Wilson say that allows it to hold its pebbles better.”

The new ball may also be just a tiny fraction larger. It is the same length as the old one. But Wilson provides a range for what constitutes an acceptable circumference upon inflation and that could be up to an eighth of an inch larger for the new ball.

During 2017, CFL clubs were given the opportunity to test, at mini-camps and in training camp, the Wilson ball used in the NFL. Feedback from quarterbacks indicated they preferred the laces used on CFL balls but the leather of the NFL balls.

CFL General Managers subsequently proposed that the league adopt a new ball that has the laces, stripes and other markings of the old CFL ball but the leather and size of the NFL ball. The Board of Governors recently discussed the change at its winter meetings and the new balls were ordered.

“A new, improved and unique CFL ball has been created. And it is being delivered to our clubs now,” Janzen said.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 11:51 PM

CFHOF will be re-imagined at new Tim Hortons Field club level
CFL.ca Staff

HAMILTON — The Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum, in conjunction with the Canadian Football League and the City of Hamilton, announced Thursday that the third and final phase of the CFHOF and Museum’s relocation process to Tim Hortons Field will be completed in time for the start of the 2018 CFL season.

The completely redesigned and refurbished 10,000 square foot club level at Tim Hortons Field will feature all 289 Hall of Fame busts on display, state-of-the-art digital technology integration, plus interchangeable displays highlighting many curated artifacts dating back to the origins of Canadian football. The climate controlled space, which spans 110 yards from goal line to goal line, also features premium amenities back dropped by beautiful vistas of the playing field and Hamilton’s escarpment.

“The new Hall of Fame on club level will combine a unique gameday viewing experience, including a premium food and beverage service, with the most modern ideas to display our most cherished artifacts,” said Mark DeNobile, Executive Director of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum. “It will truly be a destination for CFL and football fans nation-wide to see our sport’s great history in 2018 and beyond.”

The display of the Hall of Fame busts, or Legends Row, was originally conceived as a free standing pavilion adjacent to the Coors Light Patio in the north endzone of Tim Hortons Field. After further analysis it became apparent that a superior experience for Hall of Fame members and fans, including more hours open and accessibility for community use, would be delivered if the third phase of this project was constructed on club level.

“Hamilton has a rich history of football and has been home to the Hall of Fame for nearly 50 years,” said Rom D’Angelo, Director, Facilities Management and Capital Programs for the City of Hamilton. “We’re excited that Tim Hortons Field will now host not only the best current players in Canadian football every season, but also an opportunity for fans to reconnect with the game’s greatest players, builders and most memorable moments. It will be something Hamiltonians, Tiger-Cats fans and football fans across the country can be proud of.”

Since 1972, the finest players and builders in the game of Canadian football have been enshrined forever in Hamilton. After 46 years at 58 Jackson St. West, the CFHOF and Museum’s full integration into Tim Hortons Field will be completed in May, including the infamous ‘Touchdown Statue’ which is being relocated to Gate 3 on Melrose Ave. The first two previously completed phases included the Grey Cup display at the Gate 3 Premium Entrance, and the Media Hall of Fame Wing in the press box that honours the selected reporters and associated media members.

Upon completion, the new Canadian football shrine at Tim Hortons Field will be open for free to the public year-round on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings. In addition to Tiger-Cats club level season seat holders, who will enjoy a new and innovative premium hospitality gameday experience, all fans with a game ticket will be able to access the club 15 minutes following the conclusion of each game.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:03 AM

^ Good for the Ticats in stepping up to provide the CFHOF a home of sorts, but shame on the CFL for letting it come to this in the first place.

If nothing else this is better than the initial concept with the endzone HOF.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:02 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good for the Ticats in stepping up to provide the CFHOF a home of sorts, but shame on the CFL for letting it come to this in the first place.

If nothing else this is better than the initial concept with the endzone HOF.
Well, it's technically not the CFL's to do (it's the Canadian Football hall of fame, not the CFL hall of fame), though of all football leagues/organizations, they'd probably come closest. The Ticats did, however, have to step up a bit of they wanted it to stay in Hamilton. I'm sure there are a few other teams in the CFL that wouldn't have minded trying to lure the museum/hall of fame to their cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada