HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:41 PM
The New Republic
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I assume they aren't because I know, politically, a majority of the Avalon Peninsula population would not do that.

It bothers me for my own political reasons - but even objectively it creates a false impression. You'd look at census data and think most people here see themselves as generic Canadians and have no inclination to go into the weeds. Whereas, in reality:

Now the majority are certainly Canadian and happy to be, but there's more layers and complexity than that.
If 50 years from now 90% of Newfoundlanders identified as Canadian first it's either a success or a failure depending on your political allegiance. Personally, I don't see a contradiction between having unique cultural traditions, accent, food and identifying as Canadian. The Inuit are testament to that. They're arguably further from Canadian norms on every level yet overwhelmingly identify as Canadian.

Canada isn't Denmark. We're a massive diverse nation stretching 6 time zones.
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
What's a county?
A municipality ruled by a count.
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 8:08 PM
One description I've heard of Newfoundland's political culture is "non-separatist nationalism."

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada