HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 11:15 PM

who's your lawyer?

Christ

Lawyer in Surrey
2018-03-06_04-11-01 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 11:20 PM

There would be something comforting about knowing that Christ had prepared your will.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:31 PM
arf

It’s 2018, So Of Course Merriam-Webster Added ‘Dumpster Fire’ To Its Dictionary

Which means that we'll have to be more specific when talking about dumpster fires in the back alley and dumpster fires in parliament. So be careful how you word things.

It was a dumpster fire in their response to the dumpster fires last night.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 6:07 AM

Weekend vandalism in Hamilton was anti-gentrification act, blogger writes

MOLLY HAYES
PUBLISHED MARCH 6, 2018
UPDATED 2 DAYS AGO

An anonymous anarchist blogger who claimed to have taken part in a vandalism rampage in Hamilton says frustration with gentrification in the city is the motive behind the group's violence.

In a blog post on Anarchistnews.org on Monday, the writer noted their "one regret from the evening" – in which about 30 masked vandals pelted rocks through the windows of cafés, boutiques and other "yuppie businesses" along Hamilton's Locke Street South on Saturday night – was that they hadn't hit the Starbucks. The coffee franchise was a few too many blocks out of the way, the blogger rued.

It was the most violent incident in an escalation of anti-gentrification acts in a city that is seeing rising housing prices and redevelopment in the downtown core. Last summer, a busload of developers from Toronto was sprayed by sour milk-filled water guns when they arrived for a "Try Hamilton" real estate tour.

A newly opened high-end restaurant on Barton Street East had its front window smashed. A west-end real estate office had its locks glued shut. A renovated co-working space had "Hamilton is Not Your Blank Canvas" spray-painted on its wall.

No arrests have been made in this case, but police said Tuesday that they have linked this latest vandalism rampage to an anarchist book fair that took place at a local high school over the weekend.

The Tower, an anarchist "social space" in downtown Hamilton and one of the organizers behind the book fair, has remained quiet on the issue. On Monday, the Tower's own front window was broken in a seeming show of retaliation. A sheet of plywood was put up with a message scrawled across it: "We are not the least afraid of RUINS for we carry a new world here in our hearts."

The violence started after dark Saturday, and left close to $100,000 in damages.

Rebecca Tomasic, owner of Bitten Cupcakes, was just leaving her Locke Street shop around 10 p.m. when she noticed the group marching toward her – 30 or so faces hidden behind masks and balaclavas. They held up a banner as they headed down the middle of the road: "We Are the Ungovernables."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle38230631/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 12:57 AM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 6:37 AM

Indigenous extras needed for paid month-long Scotland trip

Casting takes place in Edmonton and Calgary this month for Indigenous extras to travel to Scotland for the TV show Outlander.

Outlander follows a woman swept back in time from 1945 to the mid-1700s, where she becomes embroiled in a love affair with a Scottish warrior and a wider battle of cultures. The show, which has received a number of Emmy and Golden Globe nominations, is heading into its fourth season.

An upcoming episode will see the show’s stars encountering various Indigenous groups, and the show’s casting company is touring Canada to find up to 120 Indigenous extras able to travel to Scotland for a month to film the scenes.

https://cabinradio.ca/5486/news/arts...scotland-trip/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 9:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Happy Paddy's Day! This article reminds me so much of the ones about Mexican Americans.

'Bigger deal here than it is back home': Irish musician expat marvels at St. Patrick's Day in St. John's

Quote:
A local musician originally from Ireland is spending his first St. Patrick's Day away from his homeland, and he's noticed the people of Newfoundland and Labrador seem to be taking the holiday pretty seriously.

Rowan Sherlock moved to St. John's last year after touring the province with his band — also called Newfoundland.

"Honestly, it's such a bigger deal here than it is back home, which is strange," he said. "At home, you have St. Patrick's Day, and that's it. The decorations will go up in the pubs and restaurants that morning, and that night it's taken down."

"It's such a huge thing here. The whole thing of starting breakfast in the pub at eight o'clock in the morning and being there for the day … that really doesn't happen at home."

Sherlock says in Ireland the day doesn't go by unnoticed, but people don't seem to go all out, like many Newfoundlanders like to.

"It is a celebration [in Ireland]. You have your parades and all that, but it seems a lot bigger here. It's a bit more festive here," he said.

Sherlock spends his days teaching violin, piano and guitar at the Music Collection.

"Happy days," he said. "I'm surrounded by music every single day now."

He's also managed to secure a spot in a new band, called Whiskey Business.

"The music scene [in St. John's] is pretty similar to back home," he said. "If someone played me an Irish traditional tune or a Newfoundland traditional tune, it's so hard to differentiate between the two. It's the same, really."

Sherlock says part of what he loves so much about his new home, is the fact that he can enjoy a live band almost any night of the week.

"The live music scene, it's great over here. You can go out every single night and you'll see a band somewhere."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...usic-1.4581293

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:07 AM
Identity Condiment

This weekend is Thunder Bay's opportunity to be the unique one:

St. Urho continues to capture city’s imagination
The festival in honour of the Finnish saint takes to the streets of Thunder Bay in annual parade.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...ination-865924

Quote:
THUNDER BAY - He is a savior of Finland and all its delicious wine, bravely chasing away the grasshoppers ravaging the grapevines wielding only a rake. St. Urho instills inspiration and pride in the hearts of Finlanders and continues to bring all people together. And he’s not even real.

This weekend, the streets were alive with St. Urho celebrations, including the annual St. Urho’s Day parade on Saturday.

“It’s a really ridiculous concept,” said Heleena Stephens, one of the St. Urho festival coordinators. “It’s a saint that doesn’t exist chasing grasshoppers away.”

The story of St. Urho is a uniquely North American one. It began more than 50 years ago in northern Minnesota and has been held in Thunder Bay for the past 30 years.
"Officially" it's the 16th, but they have the parade on the Saturday after, and on the sidewalk because they won't pay for a parade permit.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 5:29 AM

they have a big family day in front of the Blarney Stone in gastown, at night the area is packed, its all fenced off with big lineups etc.

They used to have a big parade downtown but apparently the costs of policing it etc have not allowed it to go on for the past 2 years.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 11:28 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh man, this would've been fun!

Memorial University students tasked to travel Europe with no cash, just Red Bull

Quote:
Myranda Bursey, Laura Hillier and Cassidy Welsh are fourth-year biology students at Memorial University who call themselves the Biohazards — one of three university teams chosen to represent Canada at the international Red Bull Can You Make It competition next month.

Beginning April 10, more than 200 university teams from around the world will participate in the event, which will see groups start simultaneously from five different starting points in Europe — Madrid, Budapest, Manchester, Stockholm and Rome —and make their week-long journey to Amsterdam, the finishing point.

The catch is that teams are not permitted to have any money, credit cards or phones. Instead, they’re given 24 cans of Red Bull, which they’ll use to barter for food, accommodations and transportation.

Along the way, groups create their own path by visiting six checkpoints in various European cities. Using a smartphone — provided by the company, equipped with an unlimited data plan, a special app and a GPS tracking system — they will post photos and videos of their journey, completing as many tasks on the adventure list as they can and receiving support from their followers back home.

Teams get points for successfully completing challenges, and are rewarded with more cans of Red Bull after reaching each checkpoint.

The event is not about who makes it back first. It’s about who accumulates the most points and makes it back at the end of the week. The team with the most points wins the grand prize, which has yet to be announced.

“We’re really excited,” Welsh said during a recent interview with The Telegram at a local coffee shop. “We’re not nervous yet, but we might be when we start.”

It was Bursey’s idea to enter the team after noticing a post about the contest on a fellow student’s Instagram account. The student, Emma Duke, is also a Red Bull representative.

“I love travelling, so I said, OK, I want to do this,” said Bursey. “I thought it would be something awesome we could do together. When I asked the girls, they were so down with it.”

The trio are from different parts of the island — Bursey grew up in Hare Bay, Hillier is from Corner Brook and Welsh lives in Mount Pearl — but have been tight-knit since starting their program at MUN.

“We didn’t know each other four years ago, but we’ve been best friends ever since,” Hillier said.

“When Myranda told us about it, we all thought it would be so cool. My exact words were, ‘It wouldn’t hurt to apply.’ I was super excited about it, but I never thought we’d actually get this far with it. I definitely didn’t think we’d make Top 12.”

The Biohazards were chosen from hundreds of entries in Canada after entering the contest with their creative video, with the help of friends Liam Dawe, owner of Altitude Media, and James McKinnon.

In the video — which can be viewed online at https://canyoumakeit.redbull.com/en/teams/745/ — the women showcase various parts of the metro area and display their Newfoundland charm.
http://www.thetelegram.com/news/memo...d-bull-194234/

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:16 AM

i am sure three white blonde women will have no problem

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:38 AM

i think some of y'all here could do a better job than this crap corporate video, it's awful

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:51 AM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:55 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

As mentioned before, jeddy1989 and his fiance moved to Prague last year. Anyhow, it's the boyfriend's birthday today...

All his coworkers wore this shirt to torment him:

Where do you even get this shirt in Prague? And why?

By the way, I'd never wear it. Sure, there's some guilty pleasure in its existence and I'd laugh at seeing someone else wearing it, but I'm a little more respectful than that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:11 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

CBC being subtle. Story about a woman from Ontario who came here as a prostitute and was likely murdered, but it's all highly speculative, then their very next one about sex workers.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
As mentioned before, jeddy1989 and his fiance moved to Prague last year. Anyhow, it's the boyfriend's birthday today...

All his coworkers wore this shirt to torment him:

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2qjx8bn.png [/IMG]

Where do you even get this shirt in Prague? And why?

By the way, I'd never wear it. Sure, there's some guilty pleasure in its existence and I'd laugh at seeing someone else wearing it, but I'm a little more respectful than that.
I know it's a joke, but why would this even be a thing over there?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:55 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I know it's a joke, but why would this even be a thing over there?
That was my question too. Why would Czechs have "issues" with Canada?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:46 PM

One assumes that you can have t-shirts printed in the Czech Republic and one speculates that the targets may have made a name for themselves with excessive references to things in Canada. Just a guess.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:55 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
One assumes that you can have t-shirts printed in the Czech Republic and one speculates that the targets may have made a name for themselves with excessive references to things in Canada. Just a guess.
There are *Canadians* who'd actually do that?

Really???????????????

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:00 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are *Canadians* who'd actually do that?

Really???????????????
OK, we all know it had to be someone here... which one of you pissed off the Czechs? Step forward and admit it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada