HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
They are not supposed to look that great, just a rough visual representation.
I know. I was being sincere. (Except about the refrigerator.)

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 9:40 AM

That would have a huge impact from the W and NW. I especially like the angular design that you used for the tallest tower at the top in the first pic. We'll have to see what Pelli comes up with, some of his stuff is great, a lot of it is okay and some of it is just awful. I sort of hope that it doesn't have a spire as planned so that Rahm can strong arm them like Daley did with Trump so that we'll get something even closer to that elusive "super tall" number.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
This will become the 8th tallest building in Chicago, right behind 311 south wacker! Here is an idea what it might look like in the skyline
Actually the height projections at the rough planning stage are usually for commercial and regulatory purposes, and so could theoretically exclude decorative spires. Then, upon construction, if ultimately a spire was added at the end, the technical height will be a much greater number.

In other words "900 feet" at this stage would easily be "1000 feet" under CTBUH's internationally accepted standard if, say, there's a mayor (or client) who ultimately decides they want a spire or some other functionally frivolous (albeit potentially beautiful) decorative feature.

So, have fun with the sketching.

Ch.G Ch.G - "We're gonna need a bigger refrigerator."

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 10:56 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
2 towers and a 115 story building sound better.

Will have to scrutinize this proposal at the meeting.

Looking forward to hearing more.
Design quality of course comes first, but I'd love to see something larger built on such a wonderful and historic site.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 12:40 PM
The City

Missed BVictor's contributions. Where've you been, man?

Anyway, considering how short that 444 W Lake tower is going to be, as well as Waterview Tower, a 1000 footer at Wolf Point will just look awkward.

Hell, over 40 years later the Willis Tower still looks a bit awkward on the skyline

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ "Residents have complained to Reilly about traffic congestion"

Lets move to the commercial & cultural center of a megapolis of nearly 10 million people and complain about the traffic! DUH! Yeah, I'm really that stupid!
And if River Bend Condo's were concerned with their view up the river they should have bought Wolf Point. Views are NOT protected folks.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 1:54 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:34 PM
The City

I'm sure Reilly is going to put on a show for the NIMBY's, but in the end the Kennedy family will get their way. God bless clout

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:38 PM

This project is exciting

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:45 PM

Quote:
This will become the 8th tallest building in Chicago, right behind 311 south wacker! Here is an idea what it might look like in the skyline

Great job BraveNW. Maybe try one where you make the buildings a solid color, if you got the time .

And by the way, what ever happened to STR. I miss his 3D models. Not that there's a whole lot these days to go crazy about.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
That would have a huge impact from the W and NW. I especially like the angular design that you used for the tallest tower at the top in the first pic. We'll have to see what Pelli comes up with, some of his stuff is great, a lot of it is okay and some of it is just awful. I sort of hope that it doesn't have a spire as planned so that Rahm can strong arm them like Daley did with Trump so that we'll get something even closer to that elusive "super tall" number.
Thanks. Also, considering that the Kennedy's have a lot of money, this proposal is a very good possibility. I could also see them putting on a spire that could get it to maybe 320 meters.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Great job BraveNW. Maybe try one where you make the buildings a solid color, if you got the time .

And by the way, what ever happened to STR. I miss his 3D models. Not that there's a whole lot these days to go crazy about.
If I have time, I will use a program that is better then MS paint

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:04 PM
Content provider

900-footer seems like it would have to be skinny to fit

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
900-footer seems like it would have to be skinny to fit
It will probably be kind of thin, but I doubt it will be that skinny, it's a fairly big lot. Anyone else think it would be cool if the complex was connected by sky bridges ? Kind of like a building with 3 parts, one which reaches 300m+ with it's spire.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:19 PM

If you're looking for a laugh/some good trollbait...

http://friendsofwolfpoint.com/commen...ut-wolf-point/

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post

wow, this is Chicago, all these people with complaints should go live somewhere else. It's one of the economic center's of the world, not some nature park.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:58 PM

The people who are going to do everything they can to stop the Wolf Point project, "Friends of Wolf Point" has a website. http://friendsofwolfpoint.com/
Feel free to bombard them with comments on how this city needs to build dense, vibrant communities in the second largest business district in the country. In reality, they are just opposing anything that ruins their views and makes it harder to drive their Mercedes and BMW's around.

I will certainly be going to the meeting Alderman Reilly is hosting May 29th at 5:30 P.M in the Holiday Inn at 350 West Mart Center Drive (Wolf Point Ballroom). I will remind him that I vote in EVERY election and his opponent will be receiving my vote if he stops or significantly downsizes an acceptable project at this location.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post

I wouldn't write them off too quick. I worry they could cause enough problems to get the project downsized.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
The people who are going to do everything they can to stop the Wolf Point project, "Friends of Wolf Point" has a website. http://friendsofwolfpoint.com/
Feel free to bombard them with comments on how this city needs to build dense, vibrant communities in the second largest business district in the country. In reality, they are just opposing anything that ruins their views and makes it harder to drive their Mercedes and BMW's around.

I will certainly be going to the meeting Alderman Reilly is hosting May 29th at 5:30 P.M in the Holiday Inn at 350 West Mart Center Drive (Wolf Point Ballroom). I will remind him that I vote in EVERY election and his opponent will be receiving my vote if he stops or significantly downsizes an acceptable project at this location.
That website says nothing about opposing the project - they advocate for a park and/or museum, but never claim that the towers are inappropriate. It's easy to assume the worst about community groups, but SOAR has maintained an open mind with regard to density, and advocates for stronger design and better integration with surroundings. River North would seem to be a similar situation, since it's already flooded with skyscrapers - that ship has sailed.

For all we know, Pelli's already anticipated these criticisms and is planning a significant open space to surround the towers. I also had the idea of a pedestrian bridge over to Canal Street to better tie the project to the Metra stations, which is one possible solution to the traffic problems. The Mart also needs to make their drive into a real, bi-directional city street instead of the massive dropoff zone it is now.

Honestly, I think Hines should do a traffic study. For NIMBY groups, it's a common delaying tactic, but it might push Hines and Pelli to build some much-needed infrastructure along with their towers.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:16 PM
BANNED

We will see if my comment gets posted over there.

My post is under review from moderation. Quite frankly I predict only real friends posts are going to be posted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive