HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
doubt will see anything of the friday tour but who knows hopefully it survives its a shame what our city did
CV supports the removal of one or two pumps.
This allows for more usable space in the building.
With more usable space in the building it could be easily repurposed.
If it's now economical to repurpose there is no need to continue the talk of demolition...
There's are MANY sites in the area for a building just as good as the pumphouse...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
CV supports the removal of one or two pumps.
This allows for more usable space in the building.
With more usable space in the building it could be easily repurposed.
If it's now economical to repurpose there is no need to continue the talk of demolition...
There's are MANY sites in the area for a building just as good as the pumphouse...
Unfortunately, the only way this project becomes feasible is if a group gets the land for free and the planned (?) parking structure is essentially given to the developer.

A couple of finicky details that can't be overlooked:

a) No schedule A bank is going to finance this building - pumphouse or new development - given its location. They look at the Exchange as unviable, this from multiple bankers. This means it would have to be a credit union. Over $4.4MM, financing goes to credit union central - I'm not sure I see it getting financed given the multitude of opinions that involves. If it does, it'll require huge personal guarantees and massive equity contributions.

b) In addition to the above, the only likely way to make the pumphouse itself a viable building - given that CV doesn't foot the bill for remediation - is to somehow build enough units that there's value left over to sink into a zero-value proposition like the pumphouse likely is. The problem there is that nobody is going to finance 200 or 300 units either - it's simply too many for the area. You'd never sell that many condos and the rental market is already well served by those renting out condo units.

In other words, CV has to give up the property for free and take on the costs for remediation. And all without a tenant. I just don't see this ever happening. And because of the financing situation, only a huge developer can take it on. Somebody like Qualico who has already given up on the area. Most big developers haven't gotten rich taking this sort of poor risk.

My prediction is that it sees a wrecking ball sometime between elections...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Unfortunately, the only way this project becomes feasible is if a group gets the land for free and the planned (?) parking structure is essentially given to the developer.

A couple of finicky details that can't be overlooked:

a) No schedule A bank is going to finance this building - pumphouse or new development - given its location. They look at the Exchange as unviable, this from multiple bankers. This means it would have to be a credit union. Over $4.4MM, financing goes to credit union central - I'm not sure I see it getting financed given the multitude of opinions that involves. If it does, it'll require huge personal guarantees and massive equity contributions.

b) In addition to the above, the only likely way to make the pumphouse itself a viable building - given that CV doesn't foot the bill for remediation - is to somehow build enough units that there's value left over to sink into a zero-value proposition like the pumphouse likely is. The problem there is that nobody is going to finance 200 or 300 units either - it's simply too many for the area. You'd never sell that many condos and the rental market is already well served by those renting out condo units.

In other words, CV has to give up the property for free and take on the costs for remediation. And all without a tenant. I just don't see this ever happening. And because of the financing situation, only a huge developer can take it on. Somebody like Qualico who has already given up on the area. Most big developers haven't gotten rich taking this sort of poor risk.

My prediction is that it sees a wrecking ball sometime between elections...
no it doesnt it just needs to do its job

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 AM

Quote:
no it doesnt it just needs to do its job
Thanks for that thoughtful counterpoint. Would you care to maybe elaborate?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:11 AM

Pumphouse

I just do not agree with you on this...

I do not see it as residential at all...

There is no or very little remediation required if it's not residential.

The roof is in fairly good shape. There is not a structural issue that I am aware of. The brick may need a little repointing and the windows reinstalled. Heating may set you back 200k and 200k for plumbing. ( kind of ironic don't you think?) A floor slab needs to be poured. With two or three pumps removed your done. Landscaping is the city's job.

For 2 million dollars it's more than done! It's only 18,000 ft!

Keep the consultants and centre ventures away from it and one of the local landowners will turn it around in 18 months...

Stop tearing these buildings down!

It's really not rocket science.

Your right though it will have to be given away for free and there is not a huge financial windfall. As for financing it, I see it being just done with cash.

Chicago and Melbourne saved their pump houses, why shouldn't we?

In the mean time, just put two or three of the windows back in on James Street and turn on the coloured lights!

I'll donate the bench for the blvd. so people can just sit and look inside! Why are they hiding this great space from the public?

Stop treating it as financial liability and start viewing it as a huge architectural and cultural asset!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:16 AM

Pumphouse

The roof is in fairly good shape. There is not a structural issue that I am aware of. The brick may need a little repointing and the windows reinstalled. Heating may set you back 200k and 200k for plumbing. ( kind of ironic don't you think?) A floor slab needs to be poured. With two or three pumps removed your done. Landscaping is the city's job.

Keep the consultants and centre ventures away from it and one of the local landowners will turn it around in 18 months...

Your right though it will have to be given away for free and there is not a huge financial windfall. As for financing it, I see it being just done with cash.

In the mean time just put in two or three of the windows back in on James Street and turn on the coloured lights!

I'll donate the bench for the blvd. so people can just sit and look inside! Why are they hiding this great space from the public?

Stop treating it as financial liability and start viewing it as a huge architectural and cultural asset!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 4:11 AM

Quote:

In the mean time just put in two or three of the windows back in on James Street and turn on the coloured lights!

Sorry, I wasn't implying that the pumphouse itself would be residential, but with the Pumphouse comes a surface parking lot directly behind it. My guess is that CV would rather be part of the solution than the problem and demand that somebody develop it alongside the pumphouse.

In any case, you're right that Chicago restored theirs, but they had to declare it a national historic site in order to fund the project through federal government resources. My understanding is also that its mostly gone dilapidated since.

I'm really trying to look at this situation realistically. All my information is second-hand, but the remediation of the building has been pegged at closer to $4MM and that's without any tenant improvements. Since CV isn't prepared to give it away, including the value of whatever cash flows come from the surface lot attached, they've been floating somewhere on the order of $1MM. That means somebody needs to come to the table with $5MM in cash and no tenant. I guess it's possible, but I doubt it. Especially given that numerous groups have tried. Who would possibly part with $5MM of their own cash and probably three quarters of a million of value for their time in order to save this thing? The answer is probably nobody. Nobody yet, anyway. So we have to look at it as a financial liability because it is one.

There are solutions; don't get me wrong. CV would have to give somebody a very long rope with a nearly interminable time table. They would have to hand over everything for nothing, pay for the remediation bill, and abate the taxes for at least twenty years. They would have to guarantee the lease of whomever eventually occupied the space and abate their ARV and business taxes for no less than ten years. And then from there you'd have to find a developer and construction manager to work at a huge discount.

And that's why I find the redevelopment of the building suspect - that's a lot that has to go one person's way from a lot of people who probably aren't interested in that agreement. The outcome of that arrangement is also entirely outside the best interests of the city given what could be generated in property taxes if it were just razed, so don't forget about the opportunity cost associated.

I guess the other option would be provincial government funding or going to the private sector with a capital campaign, but the political winds definitely aren't blowing that way and this city has just about tapped its donor base as far as capital campaigns go for the time being.

I don't know. Call me cynical about it, but there's an array of variables at play here that make this building difficult to redevelop. I stand by my prediction...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 4:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

amen!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:08 AM

Quote:
amen!
I feel like I'm in a Monty Python sketch.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:08 PM
What could go wrong?

I would much rather CV had spent a portion or all of the $7m they spent for the functioning Carlton Inn on bringing the Pumphouse up to a level where it could be easily redeveloped. I am not advocating that CV spend that kind of money but feel it was miss-spent on the Carlton deal. I think with the rejuvenated Convention Centre that property would have taken care of it's self. As Labroco said above, a couple of million into the Pumphouse building would do wonders for the street.

I guess maybe I am just sour on the Carlton deal.....
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM

^ Everyone seems to agree that CV got badly snookered on the Carlton Inn deal. Funny that it hasn't really stuck to them, though.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
As Labroco said above, a couple of million into the Pumphouse building would do wonders for the street.
Would it, though? What would it accomplish? It's still a dead zone in the middle of the street.

I'm not for tearing it down, I'm simply stating the realities of the situation. Unless somebody can get it to a point where it's actually contributing residents to the area, what purpose does it serve? It certainly doesn't resolve the issues still inherent in the East Exchange...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Would it, though? What would it accomplish? It's still a dead zone in the middle of the street.

I'm not for tearing it down, I'm simply stating the realities of the situation. Unless somebody can get it to a point where it's actually contributing residents to the area, what purpose does it serve? It certainly doesn't resolve the issues still inherent in the East Exchange...
This is how I've begun to feel about this particular location. 20+ years now as is.
A million+ facelift to the structure for appearance sake only will only prolong the situation and put it out of mind and sight for a longer period of time.

We'll be discussing this again years from now.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Just for clarification, I am in no way advocating spending any new money on the Pumphouse now. I was referring to the wasted $7m on the Carlton property. If CV were just into throwing money away, a couple of million dollars spent to make the Pumphouse more developable and some general beautification of its surroundings, could make a big difference to Waterfront.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Just for clarification, I am in no way advocating spending any new money on the Pumphouse now. I was referring to the wasted $7m on the Carlton property. If CV were just into throwing money away, a couple of million dollars spent to make the Pumphouse more developable and some general beautification of its surroundings, could make a big difference to Waterfront.
Well, you're definitely onto something. From what I can gather, the Carlton was likely a significant reason there was nothing left for the Pumphouse. It's probably also contributory toward the reasoning for a recent retirement. But we also have to be realistic about the fact that CV simply moved on from the Exchange.

And please don't get me wrong - I like the pumphouse. I think it's a pretty damn cool artifact left within our city. I'm trying to be realistic about what makes it a worthwhile project give what the Exchange needs. It needs to be developed in concert with another project that brings both residents and perhaps a commercial element with it. Otherwise, how could anybody justify dumping millions of dollars into a relic that on its own does more harm than good? The pumphouse is simply not an attraction that justifies its own existence in its current form...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:02 AM
BANNED

Cv needs to go period. They have been a mess since day one.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
cv needs to go period. They have been a mess since day one.
100%

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Everyone seems to agree that CV got badly snookered on the Carlton Inn deal. Funny that it hasn't really stuck to them, though.
They didn't get snookered. They made a horrible decision. It's not like the hotel owner forced them to do this.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They didn't get snookered. They made a horrible decision. It's not like the hotel owner forced them to do this.
Exactly. It's up to CV to realize that the hotel isn't generally at 100% occupancy absent entire communities decamping to there because of a 1 in 100 year flood.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:54 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Cv needs to go period. They have been a mess since day one.
But if we get rid of CentreVenture what will we model our transportation corridor arms-length development corporation after?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan