HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 2:55 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
Short, sweet and rather nice.

Chicago's tech image is on the rise
From tied for 18th to tied for 6th, not bad!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Chicago ranked #1 again at Site selection once again by a large margin.

This news has been out for days but no one is tooting the horn.

http://www.lawndalenews.com/2017/03/...secutive-year/

Chicago Ranked Top Corporate Metro for Fourth Consecutive Year

Posted by Editor on March 2, 2017 in Business | Comments Off on Chicago Ranked Top Corporate Metro for Fourth Consecutive Year

http://siteselection.com/issues/2017...ns-of-2016.cfm

Sorting the 2016 data by company name reveals that Accenture, for instance, has chosen to invest in locations in three Tier-1 Top 10 metros: No. 1 Chicago; No. 7 Washington, DC; and No. 8 Columbus, Ohio. Amazon ... well, they seem to be investing everywhere, don’t they? But everywhere in this case means multiple investments apiece in Chicago, No. 2 Dallas-Ft. Worth, No. 4 New York and No. 5 Cincinnati.

The Windy City keeps coming up.
There are reasons for that, says Matthew T. McGuire, who served under President Obama as the US executive director at The World Bank Group. A financial services executive from Chicago, he previously served as director of the Office of the Business Liaison at the U.S. Department of Commerce, which under Chicago native Obama was headed by a third Chicagoan, Penny Pritzker.

World Business Chicago worked with more than 180 companies in 2016, in coordination with the City, bringing nearly 9,000 jobs to Chicago. McGuire says Chicago is a great example of a competitive global city, due to such factors as its central location, a strong cadre of universities, hard-wired digital economy infrastructure from the days of the first Mayor Daley, and forward-looking transport infrastructure harkening to the city’s role as “hog butcher for the world,” in poet Carl Sandburg’s memorable phrase.

“It’s probably my favorite city,” McGuire says. As for its secret, “There is something to the agglomeration of young, talented, entrepreneurial people” in a place where they “want to be around other people doing exciting things.”

No wonder investment research firm PitchBook found early this year that the city led even the Bay Area and New York when measured by percentage of profitable startups.

Diversified and Dependable

In remarks at last year’s TrustBelt conference in his city, Mayor Rahm Emanuel offered ballast for those remarks, noting not only the metro area’s 16 four-year schools (more than any city but Boston) but its steady flow of talent from Big 10 universities throughout the Upper Midwest. “Every year and summer, like clockwork, around 140,000 freshly minted four-year degrees land in Chicago to start their career,” he said. Moreover, the city’s community colleges, which have about 115,000 enrolled, have been revamped to add more industry-sector specialization — for example, healthcare at Malcolm X, transportation and logistics at Harvey — to keep companies of all sizes supplied with the workforce they need.

Analysis released in February by Peter Bernstein, vice president at RCF Economic & Financial Consulting, Inc., shows that the Chicago area and the rest of Illinois both suffered substantial job losses during the Great Recession, but only the Chicago area has recovered its lost jobs, and in fact the area reached an all-time high in employment in 2016. Greater Chicago accounts for 85 percent of all private sector jobs added in the state of Illinois since the Great Recession.

Emanuel also noted the metro area’s leading position when it comes to economic diversification. “No one sector of our economy drives more than 13 percent of our employment,” he said. That’s why analyses from sources such as IBM, The Economist and A.T. Kearney keep ranking the city at the very top in terms of competitiveness and FDI attractiveness. He pointed to the four Ts: talent, transportation, technology and transparency. That final element has been crucial as the city has dug itself out of a structural deficit over the past five years, resolving pension fund revenue streams while still growing the economy. “Businesses small, medium and large want to see certainty, but also see the public sector use its political will to address its challenges,” Emanuel said. “We have not ever shrunk from it. Denial is not a long-term strategy. Our strategy is to double down on the key elements of our economic strengths while addressing the challenges.”

Parochialism isn’t a long-term play either. The stakes are too big.

“For 30 or 40 years, it was Chicago versus the suburbs.” he said. “It’s not true — it’s metro Chicago versus metro Los Angeles, metro Tokyo and metro Berlin.”

Texas brags though

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...-expanded.html

Texas top state for number of new, expanded corporate facilities for fifth consecutive year

Mar 6, 2017, 1:05pm CST

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:34 AM

Is Site Selection a legit source? Seems like Chicago always is on the top, yet it doesn't seem like we are leading in terms of job growth overall. I mean... I want to believe....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Is Site Selection a legit source? Seems like Chicago always is on the top, yet it doesn't seem like we are leading in terms of job growth overall. I mean... I want to believe....
Site Selection is an industrial real estate magazine. This isn't a ranking of all job creation projects, this is a ranking of the number of major corporate logistics, manufacturing, and warehousing investments. When you are talking industrial and logistics, it logical that Chicago would be at or near the top particularly in a world where logistics is booming. Just look at Coyote Logistics explosive growth or CH Robinson and the fancy new HQ they are building on the Finkl prairie. There is still a huge amount of beef in that industry and we are, in fact, still very much at the center of the US supply chain and transportation networks. Despite all of the doom and gloom from people like Trump about the collapse of American manufacturing and all of our jobs going to Indiana, this country manufactures and ships more than ever before. Drive around this city on 294 some time, there's industrial projects everywhere. There has to be because everything passes through here, Sandberg's Chicago is still very real, it just employs a lot fewer human beings.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:19 PM
The City

^ I find that believable.

But it doesn't grab headlines, or inspire TV shows (Silicon Valley) the way some of these bloated tech companies do. A warehouse on the prairie is just not cool, and doesn't make you think about Carrie drinking a martini in Sex and the City so it's clearly not relevant. Much easier narrative to just keep talking about poor widdle Chicago and its widdle crime pwobwum and how it struggles while all the great things are only happening on the coasts

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:25 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the DMDII / UI Labs since opening? I'm interested in seeing if we can link our newly strengthened position in tech with our manufacturing/industrial legacy.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:51 AM
The City

New Biomedical research park to open in Lake County:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...dical-research

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 9:49 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I find that believable.

But it doesn't grab headlines, or inspire TV shows (Silicon Valley) the way some of these bloated tech companies do. A warehouse on the prairie is just not cool, and doesn't make you think about Carrie drinking a martini in Sex and the City so it's clearly not relevant. Much easier narrative to just keep talking about poor widdle Chicago and its widdle crime pwobwum and how it struggles while all the great things are only happening on the coasts
For awhile Chicago flew under the radar with little mention in the national discourse. Now our problems are being trumpeted globally by conservatives, the same way they love to point the finger at New York and California and coastal elites. New York wasn't buried, long-term, when Gerald Ford told the city to "drop dead". Los Angeles wasn't buried after the Rodney King riots. I don't see why Chicago should have anything to fear from Trump's constant banging of the drum on Chicago's crime rate.

In a weird way I'm glad Chicago is such a bogeyman to Trump and Trumpsters alike. Any publicity is good publicity, and the 54% of America that didn't vote for Trump probably understands it's overblown anyway. Trump's rhetoric at the very least sends the message that Chicago is an important place and the events that happen here have national significance.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 9:29 PM

A nice conversation about Chongqing Casin's attempt to buy the Chicago Stock Exchange. Hopefully the current administration doesn't fuck this up.

CHX could see some substantial growth from this acquisition. Being acquired is not always a bad thing.

Chicago Exchange Wants to Be Hub for China Stock Trading

The city is already tops in derivatives fintech talent. Seeing that pool expand to include equities talent enriches Chicago's position as a global financial center.

Plus CHX has a really good building.

PS. Shame of Bloomberg for showing so many images of CBOT in this story.

Not. The. Same. Thing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
A nice conversation about Chongqing Casin's attempt to buy the Chicago Stock Exchange. Hopefully the current administration doesn't fuck this up.

CHX could see some substantial growth from this acquisition. Being acquired is not always a bad thing.

Chicago Exchange Wants to Be Hub for China Stock Trading

The city is already tops in derivatives fintech talent. Seeing that pool expand to include equities talent enriches Chicago's position as a global financial center.

Plus CHX has a really good building.

PS. Shame of Bloomberg for showing so many images of CBOT in this story.

Not. The. Same. Thing.
Don't hold your breath. The Trump administration has pretty much fucked everything up since taking office. A bunch of lightweight idiots.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Don't hold your breath. The Trump administration has pretty much fucked everything up since taking office. A bunch of lightweight idiots.
Yeah, this one worries me. The political winds would appear to be against it but I am still waiting for Trump to demonstrate that he has the power to follow through on a single one of his campaign pledges.

As long as CHX flies below his radar and does nothing to personally offend him, then there is still a chance.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:09 AM

Don't hold your breath. Trump is an average at best business person currently who seems to think the best way of making America get ahead in various industries is but making cuts to public education but still expecting Americans to stay competitive in talent compared to some other countries. It's so idiotic it's not even funny. Whatever good is in this, he probably will not see as he will not want an entity in China having power over a very large American market.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:03 PM

Chicago health care startup raises $52 million

Chicago health care startup Livongo raised $52 million from some high-profile investors.

General Catalyst and Kinnevik Ventures co-led the deal, which also included Microsoft Ventures, Singapore investment fund EDBI and American Investment Holdings.

Livongo, led by former Allscripts CEO Glen Tullman, helps people manage chronic diseases such as diabetes.

"This round will further accelerate our growth in diabetes management, fund our expansion to additional chronic conditions like hypertension, and allow us to enter international markets in 2017," Tullman said in a statement.

Article: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...llmans-livongo

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 11:49 PM

What is the biggest corporate prize the city could gain from the burbs?

I'm just entertaining wild ideals here. It's been a little while since we landed a 1000+ office, but I hope there are more on the horizon.

According to the Tribune's best employers, Discover Financial has over 3,600 employees.

I feel like the drug companies are a lost cause. Maybe they need too much lab space. But Abbvie apparently has over 4000 employees in North Chicago and Mettawa.

These numbers would probably be larger than any other corporate relocation. Can a company be too big where a relocation is not feasible?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:31 AM
The City

^ I don't know about the burbs, but I would like to see Chicago land Dow Chemical (which had been discussed a while back). Other ones would include Monsanto (which we are hearing just plain isn't happening).

Snagging a major bank would be nice. Chicago lost its last major bank (Bank One) when it was acquired by JP Morgan about 12 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Snagging a major bank would be nice. Chicago lost its last major bank (Bank One) when it was acquired by JP Morgan about 12 years ago.
Saying this as a man who opened his first checking account at The First National Bank of Chicago back when LaSalle Bank and Harris Bank were still the other hometown options, I just don't see banking HQ's coming back.

Being the capital of derivatives trading means that banking is a back-office/support service. However, with CME/CBOE/OCC and the heavy hitters Citadel/DWR/Jump/on-and-on-and-on all in town, there could be some dynamic at a future point where having the banks closer to the action here in the Loop is viable.

I still think that the derivatives industry needs to establish an identity separate from the capital markets if the financial ecosystem here is going to grow. Anecdotally, I still hear people here in Chicago who think CBOT is a stock exchange.

The industry, the exchanges in particular, and the City itself need to do a better job of growing the brand.

Last edited by HowardL; Mar 18, 2017 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:22 AM

Selfie startup lands $1.5 million

UPshow, a Chicago startup that brings selfies to the big screen via social media, has attracted the attention of some big-name investors.

The company raised $1.5 million from Howard Tullman, Fieldglass founder Jai Shekhawat, ComScore co-founder Gian Fulgoni, Edgewater funds co-founder Dave Tolmie and former Playboy CEO Scott Flanders.

The technology allows patrons at a bar or restaurant to take a photo and post it via Twitter or Instagram to a TV screen in the venue by using a hashtag.

The company has grown to 25 employees, up from about 10 a year ago, Hirsen says.

UPshow will use the capital to increase its staff, primarily its sales and engineering teams.

Article: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...lion-in-upshow

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:26 AM

Quote:
^ I don't know about the burbs, but I would like to see Chicago land Dow Chemical (which had been discussed a while back). Other ones would include Monsanto (which we are hearing just plain isn't happening).

I would love to see Wintrust continue their M&A strategy and eventually move their HQ from Rosemont to The Loop. I think the renovation of the Old Post Office will draw another big move downtown. Maybe Walgreens.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:16 PM

BlueCross BlueShield fund invests in Ferro health-care creation Higi

Higi, a health care company launched by now-Tronc Chairman Michael Ferro, has received an undisclosed investment from BlueCross BlueShield's venture fund, according to a statement on the company's website.

Founded in 2012, Higi owns and operates 11,000 self-screening health kiosks in retailers nationwide. In 2014, Higi signed a deal with national drugstore chain Rite Aid to become its sole provider of health stations where customers can check their weight, pulse, body mass index and blood pressure. It raised $40 million in funding in early 2016.

Higi has 50 employees, according to data from BuiltinChicago, up from 23 in 2013.

Article: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-creation-higi

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:04 PM

A French Autonomous Bus Startup Will Open Its First US Office in Chicago

Navya, a Lyon, France-based startup that makes fully electric and autonomous shuttles, announced today that it is opening its first US office in Chicago. The office will be located in Chicago's Ravenswood neighborhood and will house sales managers, customer relations managers and project coordinators. The company plans to have a team of five by the end of the year.

Navya launched in 2015 and has raised more than $30 million to date. Its autonomous vehicle Arma was in development for 10 years before it debuted, and can go 28 miles per hours and carry 15 people at a time. Navya has been on the road in places like France, Switzerland and Japan, and Las Vegas held a 2-week trial of the shuttles in January. Navya has also tested Arma at MCity, the University of Michigan’s test site for connected and automated vehicles.

Navya says there are 35 Arma vehicles in use in nine countries around the world, and it has transported more than 130,000 people.

Based off its success in Vegas, Navya said it decided it was the time was right to establish a permanent location in the US

Article: http://chicagoinno.streetwise.co/201...ce-in-chicago/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest