HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 5:34 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2014 in HAKODATE, Japan

Home to only 281,000 people, Hakodate is the 3rd largest city in Hokkaido. With a spectacular natural setting of mountains and ocean, the city is a major port and tourism destination. The port led the foreigners in during the 19th century, many of whom have left their architectural mark in the Motomachi district.

The Old Russian Consulate was in use from 1908 to 1944. Normally, it is not open to the public, but I was lucky as they opened their doors for an exhibition to revitalize the structure.

Construction of the Old Public Hall began in 1909 and was completed in the following year. The main building is a 2-storey symmetrical structure with a balcony that offers a commanding view of the port. It was used as accomodations for the Imperial family several times.

From this part of town, the entire city can be seen, albeit from a different perspective than up Mount Hakodate.

The Old Branch Office of Hokkaido Government was built in 1909 and is now a tourist information office on the ground floor and a photography museum upstairs. Corinthian columns mark the entrance.

The British Consulate first opened in Hakodate in 1859. Rebuilt following fires, the current building opened in 1913 and served its purpose until 1934. The prominence of the British is clearly seen as this building is only steps from the Public Hall.

Hakodate's port opened to foreign trade in 1859. Kumashiro Watanabe came to the city from Nagasaki in 1863 and began his warehousing business in 1887. These 7 Kanemori Red Brick Warehouses were rebuilt in 1909 as trade flourished but they no longer serve their original purpose. Today, they house about 50 restaurants and shops.

The Old Central Post Office was completed in 1911 but is now a shopping mall also.

The view from Mount Hakodate is quite famous in Japan and it seemed to be the most bustling point in the city.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/hakodate.htm

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 3:32 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Nice pics mate!

I've never thought I would have guessed North America about a place in Japan, but some of the shots ( minus the writing of course ) reminds me a lot of smaller North American coastal cities

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:07 PM
Hong Kong

The 107m Goryokaku Tower was built to offer visitors a view of the star-shaped fort. This Western-style defense structure was completed about 150 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:15 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I really hope I get to move to Hokkaido next year. It seems so lovely.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:06 PM
Registirred User

Great photos. I might go to that city next summer for a wedding.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos