Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:07 PM

[IMG]Honest Ed's by Marcanadian, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]One Spadina by Marcanadian, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Bergeron Centre by Marcanadian, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]York University Subway by Marcanadian, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Berczy Park by Marcanadian, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Off Ramp Demolition by Marcanadian, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Theatre Park by Marcanadian, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]401 Richmond St. @ Doors Open Toronto, 2017 by A Great Capture, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Commerce Court North - Doors Open Toronto, 2017 by A Great Capture, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]University College @ University of Toronto by A Great Capture, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Back Alleys of Toronto by A Great Capture, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]“Sparks” at the Aga Khan Musuem - Nuit Blanche 2016 by A Great Capture, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Sculpture Garden @ Dusk by A Great Capture, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Market Street Patio by A Great Capture, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Jun 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:22 PM

/\ Nice. Is the Bergeron Center by the same architects than the Calgary new library ?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

great sets on the past couple of pages

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 2:05 AM
The New Republic

Was Pier 21 in Halifax originally all brick?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 2:23 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Was Pier 21 in Halifax originally all brick?
That's the impression I get from looking at old pictures. Some of it might still be brick under metal cladding (except for that big blue window on the right side).

http://www.pier21.ca/research/pier21/historic-pier-21

They were pretty impressive industrial structures. They run for 600 meters or so.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:32 AM

One of the most fascinating pics I've seen on here.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^2nd.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:54 PM

Skyline

[IMG]Untitled by brendon wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 10:12 PM

delete

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Jul 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 11:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

mouthwatering eye candy from Montreal.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax:

Source

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:39 PM

[IMG]Maples leafed by Bruce Reeve, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Tiny City Block Building by Matt Wiebe, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Dunn Milk by Matt Wiebe, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Queens Park Station by Matt Wiebe, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Arch rivalry by Todd Murrison (Whitby61), on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by Brock Cruess, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Karma by Brock Cruess, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 10:27 PM
Montérégien

Beautiful small set of pictures, SignalHillHiker! Everytime you post one of these, St. John's feels like home. Also, 👍 to Dunn Milk and 😍 for MartinMtl !
And by the way,
Trois-Rivières says "HI" !

Parc portuaire de Trois-Rivières par @karldarshfisher, sur Instagram

Rue des Ursulines ☘ par @fridaytraveller, sur Instagram

Views par @klassicshotss, sur Instagram

Sanctuaire Notre-Dame-du-Cap par @chaacqc, sur Flickr

J'me tanne jamais de cette prise de vue par @ka_gege, sur Flickr

Île Saint-Quentin par par @karldarshfisher, sur Instagram

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 3:48 AM

delete

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Jul 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 5:38 PM

Nice Montreal set.

[IMG]Berczy Fountain by kotsy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Terminal Sunset by kotsy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Kensington Market Sights 1 by the4suns, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Etrusca 2013 Outtake by Stephen Caissie, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]TORONTO 2007 - CABBAGETOWN 031 by ettml, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Toronto Skyline by steveve photostream, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Forget it Jake, it&#x27;s Chinatown by Philip Johnson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Dim Sum 101 with Susur Lee by Fat Girl Food Sqaud Toronto, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Arnold&#x27;s Birthday - Guu Saka Bar - 2011-15 by Jason McAdoo, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Home is Toronto by Miguel Morales, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Since 95 &quot;Hip Hop Gold&quot; Tee by Sean Go, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Peaches Does the Drake by The Drake Hotel, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Hipstamatic C142 by Richard Pilon, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Actress Julia Roberts .... 2013 TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) Toronto, Ontario by Greg&#x27;s Southern Ontario (catching Up Slowly), on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Tomorrow I&#x27;ll Be You by Kat Northern Lights Man, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]18 by Juhn dela Pena, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]closing time by Anne J Gibson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Night Markets, Chinatown, Toronto by Janine Riviere, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]St. Lawrence Market by John Carvalho, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_3973 by Mark Forsythe, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by Dominic Bugatto, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 10:15 PM
Urban Fanactic

Pictures from my walk around Nanaimo.

Pictures by me.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:13 AM
Registered Drug User

The small cottage of a friend and neighbour who has gained some renown as a bookwright and engraver. His studio and living quarters are tiny and he prefers it that way, as he has a phobia about large rooms. So, the opposite of claustrophobia. Largephobia?

The Performing Arts Lodge, a place for actors to live out their autumn years. Because not all of them are rich and famous. Some have spent their lives as bit players. Maybe some are even bit players in their own lives? Who says we're all the stars of our own stories? Me, I'm not even sure I have any dialogue in my last act, though I do know I'll probably go out with a whimper, not a bang.

In 1863, when he was a teenager, Thomas Edison lived on the second floor above "Edison's." He had a job as a night shift operator for the Grand Trunk Railway, but one night he slept through his shift, was charged with neglect, and fled back to the U.S. before he could be tried. So all we're left with is a coffee shop named in his honour. But just think: if he hadn't been such a crap employee he might have stayed at his job and never have invented movies and phonographs and light bulbs and hats. We'd all be sitting around telling stories verbally or watching plays in a theatre under kerosene lamps. Hatless.

A gothic revival masterpiece built in 1867. It is now separated into apartments, but it's one of the prettiest gingerbread houses I've ever seen. Would be a lovely place for a murder.

This is the worst house in Stratford. People call it the "White House." The gaudy Roman columns hold up an overhang that extends like wings on either side and fails to conceal how comparatively not large the actual house itself is, making a mockery of the builder's grandiose intentions. The owners wanted to use it as an events hall for weddings but the neighbours mustered up their collective NIMBY will in protest. I think they've stripped the paint in order to repaint it, but it's been like this forever. A total joke, this place is.

In Stratford the businesses are "stage" this and "stage" that. This lovely little second hand bookshop is run by an elderly German immigrant who has retained his heavy accent over the decades. He self-produced a chapbook of his translation of a poem by Goethe in protest of the Iraq War back in 2003. I can't recall which poem it was. Probably something about war. Or how stupid George Bush was. I...suddenly feel a tiny bit of fondness for W. We are living in weird times.

A yellow-brick house with a big kitchen in the back owned by this so-called freelance translator dude who the neighbours suspect might be trying to keep a low profile to cover up more nefarious activities. CIA? Insurance adjuster? Facebook mod? You never know these days. The piazza-style front garden is pretentious, and he's a bit too pleased with his car. One of the previous residents lived here from 1923 to 1981 before falling down the stairs from the second floor. Now the place is cursed.

Soon to be the country house of someone flush with cash. Used to be a hillbilly rental with signs out front advertising rabbit manure for sale. Next to burlap bags of the stuff piled up at the side of the road. Has the real estate bubble made it impossible to make a living selling bunny poop? If so, then there really is no justice. It's one thing to lose your shirt in this crazy economy, but losing your hare, too?

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 6:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

The small cottage of a friend and neighbour who has gained some renown as a bookwright and engraver. His studio and living quarters are tiny and he prefers it that way, as he has a phobia about large rooms. So, the opposite of claustrophobia. Largephobia?

The Performing Arts Lodge, a place for actors to live out their autumn years. Because not all of them are rich and famous. Some have spent their lives as bit players. Maybe some are even bit players in their own lives? Who says we're all the stars of our own stories? Me, I'm not even sure I have any dialogue in my last act, though I do know I'll probably go out with a whimper, not a bang.

In 1863, when he was a teenager, Thomas Edison lived on the second floor above "Edison's." He had a job as a night shift operator for the Grand Trunk Railway, but one night he slept through his shift, was charged with neglect, and fled back to the U.S. before he could be tried. So all we're left with is a coffee shop named in his honour. But just think: if he hadn't been such a crap employee he might have stayed at his job and never have invented movies and phonographs and light bulbs and hats. We'd all be sitting around telling stories verbally or watching plays in a theatre under kerosene lamps. Hatless.

A gothic revival masterpiece built in 1867. It is now separated into apartments, but it's one of the prettiest gingerbread houses I've ever seen. Would be a lovely place for a murder.

This is the worst house in Stratford. People call it the "White House." The gaudy Roman columns hold up an overhang that extends like wings on either side and fails to conceal how comparatively not large the actual house itself is, making a mockery of the builder's grandiose intentions. The owners wanted to use it as an events hall for weddings but the neighbours mustered up their collective NIMBY will in protest. I think they've stripped the paint in order to repaint it, but it's been like this forever. A total joke, this place is.

In Stratford the businesses are "stage" this and "stage" that. This lovely little second hand bookshop is run by an elderly German immigrant who has retained his heavy accent over the decades. He self-produced a chapbook of his translation of a poem by Goethe in protest of the Iraq War back in 2003. I can't recall which poem it was. Probably something about war. Or how stupid George Bush was. I...suddenly feel a tiny bit of fondness for W. We are living in weird times.

A yellow-brick house with a big kitchen in the back owned by this so-called freelance translator dude who the neighbours suspect might be trying to keep a low profile to cover up more nefarious activities. CIA? Insurance adjuster? Facebook mod? You never know these days. The piazza-style front garden is pretentious, and he's a bit too pleased with his car. One of the previous residents lived here from 1923 to 1981 before falling down the stairs from the second floor. Now the place is cursed.

Soon to be the country house of someone flush with cash. Used to be a hillbilly rental with signs out front advertising rabbit manure for sale. Next to burlap bags of the stuff piled up at the side of the road. Has the real estate bubble made it impossible to make a living selling bunny poop? If so, then there really is no justice. It's one thing to lose your shirt in this crazy economy, but losing your hare, too?

Video Link
Stratford is such a cool town! I've hit up Festival Theatre a few times (always the Shakespeare) but it took a friend of mine to introduce me to the 'real' Stratford.

Pauly grew up there (he now lives in New Zealand) and he said "We're going to go to Stratford, we're going to get drunk, and we're going have a blast." And we did.

This was in 2000.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place but it was an old-timey Ontario 'hotel bar', a place with no windows and a faded 'Ladies and Gents' entrance sign. The band was playing covers of 60's and 70's rock tunes and the place was hopping. There was a huge bouncer - as wide as he was tall - who slowly made his way around the bar and on each circuit, jammed a wriggling malcontent under his arm and unceremoniously tossed him out the front door.

We had an absolute blast, dancing and howling and cheersing and we hooked up with a couple of lovely locals - one of whom had had a crush on Pauly since high school - and woke up the next day thinking (at least I was) that "This is awesome! This is what life is all about!". Pauly, however, had a different take. "Let's get out of here, her brother is psycho"

Stratford is unique in that it has its ultra-sophisticated Festival side and its typical small town side and I think that two enrich each other in ways that few other cities have the ability to take advantage of.

Absolutely fantastic place that everyone should hit up sometime, whether for the theatre, or the locals!
,!
A very special, unique, and unforgettable city.

Did I mention that it's also pretty? It's pretty, very pretty!

Last edited by OutOfTowner; Jun 16, 2017 at 7:20 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada