HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Tbh, I don't think you are allowed to

But AMAZING PHOTOS ConstructDTLA! Thank you for taking all of those. You for sure got a new follower on Flickr for these. Can't wait to see more of these wherever you go!
I saw nothing!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:41 AM
heavy user of walkability

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:46 PM
你的媽媽

The Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer features the new skyline in its opening scene: https://youtu.be/02ecgaN8iDA

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:40 PM

Great pic timbad! And to what homebucket said about the "new skyline": isn't it something that most if not all American cities outside of NYC and Chicago cannot boast a "new skyline" like San Francisco can.. A truly new skyline not just an additional tall building that gets lost amongst the other tall buildings. The best part is that there will be more additions going up that will continue to create a "new skyline" here in San Francisco in the coming years.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCitySFO View Post
The best part is that there will be more additions going up that will continue to create a "new skyline" here in San Francisco in the coming years.
I was watching the planning commission discussion regarding Central SOMA and they were explaining that the reason why Central SOMA has such a high ratio of offices to houses is because it's really the last place to add large office towers. Commissioner Moore made a comment about how they'll eventually have to turn their eyes back to the traditional FiDi area and that there are 10-15 story buildings that are approaching the end of their lifespan that will probably be the next future site for towers. Thought it was very interesting. Certainly not something that we'll see action on in the next 10 years or more, but I think it's safe to say we'll see North FiDi increase in density in our lifetime (mine anyways, I'm 30).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:16 AM

I'll take Spectacular San Francisco Skyline photos for $400, Alex.

sunset from Ina Coolbrith Park by Wesley, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:59 PM

^^ Park Tower on the rise!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 11:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, that's an amazing shot.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:52 AM

A few shots from the Moscone area. On the left, you can see the structure of the new pedestrian bridge over Howard St:

The 220-room Virgin Hotel at 250 4th St. looks like it might be ready this summer:

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
... turn their eyes back to the traditional FiDi area and that there are 10-15 story buildings that are approaching the end of their lifespan that will probably be the next future site for towers. Thought it was very interesting. Certainly not something that we'll see action on in the next 10 years or more, but I think it's safe to say we'll see North FiDi increase in density in our lifetime (mine anyways, I'm 30).
that would be great, but it'll take a lot of zoning changes.
1 prop k / section 295 limits the heights of most sites in the traditional financial district due to shadows on one or more of union square, sue bierman plaza, justin herman plaza, portsmouth square, one maritime's rooftop park, etc
2 at the moment none of the north fidi c-3 district includes the ability to increase FAR past the traditional limit of 18:1 in section 123, and
3 tons of sites actually have pretty low height limits, sometimes lower than the existing buildings and CERTAINLY too low to justify tearing down a 10-20 story tower, losing the rent for 3 years, etc.

that said, a couple 700-1400 foot towers north of market would be AMAZING.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
that would be great, but it'll take a lot of zoning changes.
1 prop k / section 295 limits the heights of most sites in the traditional financial district due to shadows on one or more of union square, sue bierman plaza, justin herman plaza, portsmouth square, one maritime's rooftop park, etc
2 at the moment none of the north fidi c-3 district includes the ability to increase FAR past the traditional limit of 18:1 in section 123, and
3 tons of sites actually have pretty low height limits, sometimes lower than the existing buildings and CERTAINLY too low to justify tearing down a 10-20 story tower, losing the rent for 3 years, etc.

that said, a couple 700-1400 foot towers north of market would be AMAZING.
Everything you've said is completely true under current zoning. I took it as her casually floating the idea of a future spot rezoning (not unlikely Transbay or Central SOMA) of the FiDi. I would assume this would not happen until Transbay/Central SOMA are built out, for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
UC Hastings expansion will add housing, bring YMCA back to Tenderloin
By J.K. Dineen
February 19, 2018 Updated: February 19, 2018 3:02pm

UC Hastings College of the Law is embarking on an aggressive expansion of its Tenderloin campus, a five-year project that will include not only new housing and academic buildings, but also a three-level YMCA the school hopes will help strengthen connections with the hardscrabble neighborhood it has long called home.

Next month, Hastings plans to start construction on the first piece of a long-planned campus makeover, a $58 million, 55,000-square-foot academic building to be erected on a vacant lot the school owns at 333 Golden Gate Ave., between Larkin and Hyde streets.

That new building will set three projects in motion. Once the new academic building opens in late 2019, Hastings will knock down an existing 1953 structure known as Snodgrass Hall and replace it with a 14-story, 592-unit residential tower that will be split between students from the law school and from UCSF. In addition, Hastings will renovate an existing residential structure at 100 McAllister St.

The goal is to create an “academic village” feel that the urban Hastings has been lacking, said David Seward, the school’s chief financial officer.

“We are trying to get some of that college commons feel,” said Seward, who is overseeing the campus expansion . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...photo-15096736

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Phase 1 rendering:

Full build out massing:

Source

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 10:38 PM

Pedestrian, 1977 - thanks for the updates. An interesting rendering from a different perspective of the neighborhood that I live in. Phase I is nice looking to my eye. Look forward to seeing the buildings.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 12:04 AM

This is super exciting for the neighborhood. With the SF Conservatory approved, you'd have arts, medical, and law students in the neighborhood, which adds so much vibrancy and diversity. Cleans up those blocks, and I love the fact that they are adding the YMCA...a lot of projects recently have been great "win-wins" for the community.

Dumb question. They hope to start construction next month...how is it that they are able to move so fast when everything else in our hood takes years to get off the ground?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Dumb question. They hope to start construction next month...how is it that they are able to move so fast when everything else in our hood takes years to get off the ground?
I'm guessing that, as a state agency, they don't have to follow the city process.

Also: what's the status of the Performing Arts High School on Van Ness? That would be a big change, too, but it's been decades?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
This has been in the planning stages for several years so it's not actually all that fast. But, that said, I'm pretty sure pseudolus is correct that the state is exempt from San Francisco's local planning rules and process.

PS: I love that massing image with "the Hub" buildings and Trinity Plaza Phase 4 in the background.

PPS: Does anybody else remember around the time they built the "new" federal building at 7th & Mission there was talk of turning the old one on McAllister across the street from Hastings into condos? If only that had happened, it would have really added some life to this mini-hood. As eventually happened, they renovated it and continued using it as federal offices but I don't think it's really full and, in any case, it's pretty strictly an 8-5 affair leaving it dark and the streets next to it pretty empty (except of Tenderloin habitue's) evenings, nights and weekends.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:55 AM
heavy user of walkability

that is exciting news for that area!

changing the subject here... for those who enjoy then-and-now pics, here is looking west up Folsom from Spear, comparison of Feb 2007-Feb 2018:

Last edited by timbad; Feb 22, 2018 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:39 PM

^^And some year maybe they'll even repave the street.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:21 PM

Cool that you have a photo from 11 years ago!

and lmao @Pedestrian about the repavement

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations