HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 12:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Phoenix is 8th in total bike fatalities, but dead last in that report among big cities in fatalities per million residents. By a large margin. Which has always surprised me, because the suburbs, especially the East Valley, generally have great bike infrastructure.
Does the statistic being cited include just Phoenix city limits or the entire Phoenix Metro Area? I can't tell because the link to Business Insider seems to go to some sort of cluttered infographic / list-icle rather than an actual research study with a discernible section on its methods.

I agree, however, that Phoenix's suburbs have long outperformed the central city in terms of bicycling infrastructure. Phoenix is only just now beginning to catch up with developments that have already taken place in Scottsdale and the East Valley.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:16 PM
Modulator

No to 105 signs are popping up North of Camelback and along the 7's with no Yes to 105 signs in sight. Looks like the battle has begun and with the exception of 2 Yes 105 signs I have seen on South Central, this is a good indication that there is more support for LRT than not. Keep my fingers crossed!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:37 PM

Lots of Yes to 105 signs on Central south of the river. Haven't seen any opposition in that area, which is disappointing.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:50 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Lots of Yes to 105 signs on Central south of the river. Haven't seen any opposition in that area, which is disappointing.
I would imagine that along South Central, there will be a lot of Yes signs considering that's where the abundant opposition is. I think once you get off Central there will be more support from the residents who need the transportation. I also can't help but think that there will be some "shady" tactics along South Central such as removing or vandalizing the No 105 signs...which would be illegal.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:04 PM

Valley Metro/Goldwater Institute at odds over light rail funding

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Does the statistic being cited include just Phoenix city limits or the entire Phoenix Metro Area? I can't tell because the link to Business Insider seems to go to some sort of cluttered infographic / list-icle rather than an actual research study with a discernible section on its methods.

I agree, however, that Phoenix's suburbs have long outperformed the central city in terms of bicycling infrastructure. Phoenix is only just now beginning to catch up with developments that have already taken place in Scottsdale and the East Valley.
Sign of the times that the ABC 15 article cribs from a Business Insider article, which cribs from a DOT report. The DOT Report (https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812765) is based just on the city limits of Phoenix and other large cities. Phoenix had 8.61 bicyclist fatalities per 1m residents in 2017. The next closest large city was Sacramento at 5.98 per 1m residents.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 5:12 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Yea...that ain't going anywhere. This is Goldwater getting desperate to draw attention to what I think is a losing battle for LRT opponents.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
No to 105 signs are popping up North of Camelback and along the 7's with no Yes to 105 signs in sight. Looks like the battle has begun and with the exception of 2 Yes 105 signs I have seen on South Central, this is a good indication that there is more support for LRT than not. Keep my fingers crossed!
There are a bunch of Yes to 105 signs at 19th Ave & Bethany Home. Didn't see any No to 105 signs.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Too much passion around this issue in that area I'd guess. What's important is for the silent majority to vote.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 6:56 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I saw Scott Smith give a presentation a few months ago. He was clear about what would happen if Proposition 105 was approved in terms of foregone federal and regional funding, but he stopped short of telling anyone how they should vote. I was far more troubled by the behavior of the Building a Better Phoenix activists who showed up and tried to take over the event.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 7:01 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Sign of the times that the ABC 15 article cribs from a Business Insider article, which cribs from a DOT report. The DOT Report (https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812765) is based just on the city limits of Phoenix and other large cities. Phoenix had 8.61 bicyclist fatalities per 1m residents in 2017. The next closest large city was Sacramento at 5.98 per 1m residents.
Thanks for digging deeper to find the source of the data, even if it is sobering.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:08 PM

Valley Metro CEO explains tripled estimate for light rail expansion
UPDATED JULY 17, 2019 By Peter Samore - KTAR
Quote:
PHOENIX — In 2015, Phoenix voters approved a measure that would allot $550 million for light rail expansion from downtown Phoenix east to the South Mountain Village Core.

But newer documents that Valley Metro Rail filed with the U.S. Department of Transportation and its Federal Transit Administration estimated costs at about $1.35 billion.
I happen to catch this on the radio couple of days ago when I was flipping between Bloomberg Business and KTAR. Sounded crazy but I didn't see any other coverage with a quick check and forgot about it.

Now KTAR has added an update where Scott Smith responds.
Quote:
Valley Metro CEO Scott Smith explained that figure now includes metro rail expansion from downtown Phoenix west to the Arizona State Capitol. “All of that work was expected to be done as a separate project, and now is included as a single project,” Smith said. “So, when you add all of that up, it’s a billion-dollar project.”

Smith said the rest of the estimated cost is 40% contingency as required by the FTA. “A lot of that is money we don’t ever expect to spend, but it is required by the federal government for cost-estimating purposes,” Smith added.
Jim Sharpe didn't seem too keen on light rail when he spoke with Scott Mussi, president of the Arizona Free Enterprise Club, who made the claim that costs had tripled.

40% is a helluva contingency amount. Last I knew they had raised it from 20% to 30%. I'll assume this is to reflect the cost increases experienced generally in construction. With most of these projects being originally estimated years ago it's understandable; not sure Phoenix will experience all of that 40% increase and Scott indicates they won't.

The concern here is that a nice gift-wrapped present was given to the opposition by allowing them to toot their horn prior to Valley Metro getting out in front of this.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:19 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Jim Sharpe didn't seem too keen on light rail.
I don't think anyone at KTAR has ever sounded keen on light rail. I remember when I first moved to Phoenix in the late '80s thinking of KTAR as a staid, traditional news station with a fairly netural point of view. Then, talk radio became a massive trend in the '90s and any pretense of objectivity went out the window.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jul 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:14 PM
Modulator

Pretty good opinion piece against Prop 105 (and 106) posted on Capital times.

https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2019...d-for-phoenix/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone at KTAR has ever sounded keen on light rail. I remember when I first moved to Phoenix in the late '80s thinking of KTAR as a staid, traditional news station with a fairly netural point of view. Then, talk radio became a massive trend in the '90s and any pretense of objectivity went out the window.
For the most part their morning news is just that; in fact it's the only local station that I'm aware of that has full time local news coverage. Earlier like 4:00 a.m. KTAR carries an ABC feed which is good for national news. Typically I toggle between Bloomberg and NPR but I'll will swing to KTAR some too.

Further down in their piece there's also this:
Quote:
On Monday, the U.S. Dept. of Transportation confirmed that the Federal Transit Administration had already pledged an additional $550 million, if expansion is eventually approved.
So now there's $550 million in FTA grants that's at stake in that election.

Until this morning I had no knowledge they had bundled both extensions into one project.
Quote:
“I hope they understand that the project they would be getting is a different, more inclusive, larger project that will improve the system,” Smith said. “And they’ll just have to decide if that’s an investment that they want to make.”
I think this is a smart idea to do but who knew?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 3:19 PM
self-important urbanista

A Tale of Two Sals

There's an interesting article in the newest issue of Phoenix Magazine about the unusual alliances that have emerged in opposition to light rail, especially the South Central line. The article focuses specifically on how conservative city council member Sal DiCiccio is in a rare moment of being on the same side as immigrant rights activist and Arpaio antagonist Salvador Reza, the other "Sal" in the title. I'd link to it, but it doesn't appear to be online -- at least not yet. If you have access to a print copy of the August issue, it's worth a read.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 11:18 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
At bad as KTAR can be, it's nowhere close to KFYI...

In an alternate universe, Scott Smith is currently serving his second term as AZ Governor.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 11:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
At bad as KTAR can be, it's nowhere close to KFYI...

In an alternate universe, Scott Smith is currently serving his second term as AZ Governor.
Agree completely with both. Even though I lean Democratic, I would have probably voted for Smith if he had secured his party's nomination.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 12:07 AM
E pluribus unum

I'm a registered independent (lean Democrat) but elected to receive the 2014 GOP Primary Ballot so that I could vote for Smith for Governor.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 12:31 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I'm a registered independent (lean Democrat) but elected to receive the 2014 GOP Primary Ballot so that I could vote for Smith for Governor.
I did the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest