HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:12 PM

And here's the second part: Lower Lonsdale. It's a fantastic area to walk around on a warm summer day with many restaurants going up. Definitely worth the short SeaBus ride from Downtown Vancouver!

View from end of the pier.

Huge yacht docked next to the SeaBus terminal.

View towards Downtown Vancouver.

SeaBus

New buildings in Lower Lonsdale area.

Also this part of North Vancouver is very green.

Lonsdale Quay is a tiny mall connected to the SeaBus terminal.

View of the Burrard Inlet from the small tower.

What a day!

And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 9:08 AM

Great pictures. Used to spend a lot of time on the North Shore. Brings back memories.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 12:21 PM

Nice! Maybe I'll move to North Van. Oh wait, it's obscenely expensive too...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 10:00 PM

If you are looking to do something fun on the weekend, head out to South Delta to check out the O.W.L. Orphanaged Wildlife Rehabilitation Society It's a nice small community in a nice rural setting.

During summer they have daily tours and on winter weekends there are tours between 10am and 3pm. Tours are personal and cost nothing to take!

There are several hawks and falcons living at O.W.L.

Different eagle species are also present.

The best thing are still the owls, which there are eight different species! Such an adorable little animals.

Lunch is served.

Also few vultures live there and they are always hungry.

The place is very popular with families and schools, and it was busy on Saturday.

Definitely worth 30-60 minutes of your weekend if you are in the area and want to see some beautiful birds of prey upclose!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 9:43 PM

Boundary Bay Airport (YDT) in Delta is Canada's 7th busiest airport in terms of airplane movements - even ahead of Ottawa's YOW and many other!

Not everything out of YDT is only general avatiation, though. There are also few scheduled routes to Victoria and Nanaimo.

The terminal building is actually verynew and modern for such a small airport!

Nearby there are some also huge McMansions that are very typical of Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 4:03 AM

Took a day off on Friday to go skiing in Whistler (Blackcomb side). Fourth time up there this year and it was worth it. The amount of snow they have there is crazy and they have been able to groom many black runs that you rarely see groomed. Excellent dry snow above 1000 meters!

This is what it's all about: sun, powder snow and empty runs.

Last edited by Klazu; Mar 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:03 PM
Community Guy

Good ol Boundary Bay, I miss my auto-x days there.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 8:18 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

so nice. i am definately due for another visit. thx for the hiking tips.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 12:40 AM

Here's part 1 out of 2 from our trip to Sunshine Coast last May. We ended up staying at West Coast Wilderness Lodge in Egmont which is a very nice accommodation.

First evening at the lodge.

We had our bicycles with us, as we wanted to try out the Suncoaster Trail from Egmont to Madeira Park. The trail turned out to be not ideal for regular bicycles, as it is very steep and has large boulders.

I mean, REALLY steep.

Local wild life.

Snowboarders' bench.

Earl's Cove ferry terminal nearby Egmont is the gateway to upper Sunshine Coast and Powell River. One day we have to make the trip up there.

Egmont is well-known for Skookumchuck Narrows. This narrow patch of water forms the world's second fastest tide waters (up to 33km/h)!

It's quite a spectacle that Mother Nature puts up twice a day with 200 billion US gallons (760,000,000 m3) of water running out of Sechelt Inlet and few hours later back in again. Witnessing it feels like the whole ocean is emptying!

Video Link

The interesting thing is that the narrows themselves are not even that narrow, yet the water masses are running wild. The difference in water levels on either side of the rapids can exceed 2 metres (6.6 ft) in height! I was lucky to witness a XL size tide.

Wild waters also form several standing waves that some crazy people occasionally use for surfing! Nobody out in the water there today, though.

To catch a beautiful sunset, we drove to Daniel Point in the nearby Madeira Park.

There you go. Stay tuned for the second photoset.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 12:18 PM

^Stop rubbing it in!!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 2:26 PM
Community Guy

Keep rubbing it in!!!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 12:31 AM

I will go with Coldrsx's suggestion.

Here's part 2 of Sunshine Coast. First few photos from the Francis Point Trail before the main event, a zodiac tour of the famous Princess Louisa Inlet.

Strait of Georgia is a huge open body of water. Vancouver Island is even further than those small islands in the background.

So yeah, from Egmont one can join on a spectacular half-day zodiac tour up Jervis Inlet to the incredibly beautiful Princess Louisa Inlet.

Nature is abundant in British Columbia and seing wild seals is not even that rare.

Broken mountain face.

Ages old mysterious First Nations rock painting on cliff side. The meaning of it is not known until this day.

Weather in the morning was very hazy, painting the view beautifully blue.

Some calm waters.

The whole area is so mountaineous that it is almost completely inhabited. No roads of any kind in here.

Me and my wife (not pictured) were the youngest on this tour.

Gateway to Princess Louisa Inlet is through Malibu Narrows. On the banks of the narrows is a former luxury wilderness resort that was built in the 1940. Visitors to this secluded resort included John Wayne, Senator John F. Kennedy, Barbara Stanwyck, Bing Crosby, and Bob Hope. Unfortunately it was so remote that business wasn't good and the resort had to close its doors in the 50s.

It was sold to a Christian association that has since then organized youth summer camps there (in winter there is also some accommodation). Now what a location be on a summer camp!! Access is only possible by boat or by float plane and there is no cell phone network in here. Nature is your playground in here!

The inlet itself is surrounded by very tall mountain faces.

The waterfall on the vertical face is called James Bruce Falls and it is credited being the highest in North America. It stems from a small snowfield and cascades 840 m (2,760 ft) down to Princess Louisa Inlet.

There is a small harbour at the bottom of the inlet.

It's a popular place for people to sail all the way from Vancouver. The trip takes two days one way, but spending a night under the stars in a place like this must be amazing!

It rains a lot between the mountains and hence there some beautiful old growth forest.

Chatterbox Falls is a small but very visible waterfall nearby.

In my opinion Princess Louisa Inlet is on par with New Zealand's world-famous Milford Sound. I have been to both and was surprised to find something this beautiful so close to Vancouver. Not many people even know of this place, which makes it even better.

It's an one-hour ride back to Egmont. Jervis Inlet had got windy by now, but at least the weather had improved and the haze was gone.

Back at out West Coast Wilderness Lodge.

What a view to look at for a weekend!

Finally, few photos from Gibsons harbour and ferry terminal on our way back.

The mountain in the back are theNorth Shore Mountains.

Tight fit with the bikes on.

BC Ferries is expensive to take, but provides great service.

And that is it! We had great time on Sunshine Coast and will surely be returning there for another visit sometime in the future! Definitely go if you have never been! All these photos were from Victoria Day long weekend in 2015, so now would be a perfect time to plan a getaway there.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:23 AM

Summer temperatures in Mid-April are just beautiful. Few cell phone shots from yesterday and today.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 5:03 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Great thread. Very enjoyable.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:47 AM

Just how crazy it is to look out of your window and see Mount Rainier. No, I don't mean Mount Baker (3,286m / 10,781ft), which is only 100 kilometers away and an ever-present backdrop for Metro Vancouver.

I really mean bloody Mount Rainier which is behind Seattle, some 286 kilometers away (that's 177 miles)!

Mount Rainier is actually so far away that due to Earth's curvature only the very tip of this giant (4,392m / 14,411ft) can be seen this far.

Yeah, I really love our new apartment's crazy view.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 12:32 PM

That's from your apartment o.O? Very nice photos.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's from your apartment o.O? Very nice photos.
Yeah, we just moved into a tall high-rise in Burnaby's Metrotown which is one of the heightest locales. More photos to follow.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:34 PM

Vancouver is beautiful. There is no doubt about that. Especially with the finishing of the Trump Tower here soon. This year probably. Our skyline is pretty gorgeous actually

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 10:11 PM

With the purchase of a 5-day Edge Card one gets two free summer days up on Whistler. Two weeks ago on the first June weekend the weather was perfect with temperatures of up to +34C predicted for the valley, so we decided to drive up there to check it out.

Upon arriving in Whistler the day was already hot and summer was at a full swing in the valley.

Up on Whistler mountain it was a different story though and it felt more like early sprint.

All kind winter equipment is up on display for the visitors which is quite interesting.

Peak 2 Peak was also running so we decided to take a return ride to Blackcomb.

Just beautiful.

Long way down...

Blackcomb is melting quickly, but lots of snow still remains.

The real reason for visiting Whistler was to see the legendary Whistler Snow Walls. More photos of them in part 2 soon.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 8:18 PM
@LaidByMonty

Excellent pictures. The Peak 2 Peak looks great fun, and that view of Mount Rainier with the curvature of the Earth is insane! Well done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos