HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:22 PM
I am a typical

They cover almost the entire US, Australia, New Zealand, and most major cities in Japan, the UK, France, Italy, Spain, and the Netherlands. Is that "cities I don't live in" enough for you?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:26 PM

I Want More!!!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:28 PM

Lightbulb

I was on the patio of Huether around 12:30 and spotted a green car (late model Jetta, I think) with what certainly looked like a Google Street View mast driving down King.

I think I might have even been Street Viewed myself. No idea if it was active or not, but only time will tell...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:01 PM

Same thing just happened to me at about 2:30 on the corner of princess and regina as i was unlocking my bike.

I still wish they would do a proper job of labelling streets in the region. The region should be harrassing google/digitalglobe about this. KW has one of the most confusing road layouts in Ontario (to outsiders anyways), surely the extra complications would lead to a loss in tourist revenue and increase in traffic congestion from newcomers.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:06 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
http://twitter.com/jimmurphy

Google street view car on king street in waterloo-caught most of us at postrank walking to lunch 1 block south of the Heuther hotel.
about 2 hours ago from TwitterBerry
that's 6 sightings now

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:44 PM
Cambridgite

I'm just curious as to when these street views are going to go online.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:57 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ Who knows... but in the meantime, check this out: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._to_canada.php
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 1:42 AM

I drove past a green cobalt with the tall mast on Erbsville yesterday morning.. seems like they've just blitzed Waterloo. Will be curious to see if I show up on google maps one day.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:09 AM

Is it possible this isn't google? Yes, it looks like a street view vehicle, but the University of Waterloo or Laurier or the Region of Waterloo could just as easily be doing something simmilar.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:08 PM

Look what I spotted at Columbia and Phillip this morning!

I didn't see any Google logos on the car, but it matches the ones that have been spotted in other cities.

(Yes, that's the driver waving at me.)

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:37 PM
Cambridgite

^ Nice catch.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 5:22 PM
National Capital Region

Nice, you should submit it to The Record! (along with a link to this thread to show other sightings)

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Nice, you should submit it to The Record! (along with a link to this thread to show other sightings)
I just got a reply saying that they're covering it in tomorrow's paper.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:35 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkalunk View Post
KW has one of the most confusing road layouts in Ontario (to outsiders anyways), surely the extra complications would lead to a loss in tourist revenue and increase in traffic congestion from newcomers.
Do the streets change names every couple kilometres, and are there multiple instances of "X Street" or "Y Avenue" in each municipality?

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:53 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Do the streets change names every couple kilometres, and are there multiple instances of "X Street" or "Y Avenue" in each municipality?
Yes, often the same street changes name and ROW width when you go from Waterloo to Kitchener.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:54 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanate View Post
I was on the patio of Huether around 12:30 and spotted a green car (late model Jetta, I think) with what certainly looked like a Google Street View mast driving down King.

I think I might have even been Street Viewed myself. No idea if it was active or not, but only time will tell...
perfect place to while away an afternoon...drinking quality micro brew beer and captured on google street view.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 9:03 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smably View Post
Look what I spotted at Columbia and Phillip this morning!

I didn't see any Google logos on the car, but it matches the ones that have been spotted in other cities.

(Yes, that's the driver waving at me.)
Yup, I saw the same guy at Parkside and Bearinger today.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 9:05 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
one of the problems is that the same street can be N,S,E & W (e.g. King St S, King St. N) without really changing direction much...Weber is a good example. In other places they change directions entirely with no name change (University Avenue East). There is a system (Name changes divided at King/Erb in Waterloo and King/Queen in Kitchener; also changing names at the K-W border), but it is quite confusing for a visitor when the name changes 3 times in 600 metres (King St near the KW border)

Also the directions don't seem to be consistent. Victoria St. N is parallel with Bridge St. East. Highland Rd. West is parallel with Victoria St. South, and Perpendicular with Highland Rd East

Another problem is that the same roads meet multiple times ("Meet me at King and Weber").

There are a few roads where the name changes entirely, but it's not as bad as Rideau/Wellington/Montreal etc in Ottawa

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 10:08 PM

My favourite is how King Street West is east of King Street South and King Street South is north of King Street West.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 11:17 PM
G.G.H. Transit

At least in K-W they don't often change the street name randomly like they have in Cambridge. There's a few examples in Cambridge that really make me scratch my head...

1) King, Coronation, Dundas

2) Elgin Street: There are two Elgin Street Norths broken at the CP railway and an Elgin Street South,

3) Concession Road in Preston + Concession Street in Galt

4) Concession Street also in part of Main Street and is also Cedar Street (so you go from Cedar Creek in the west to Cedar to Concession to Main to Old Beverly in the east

5) I also like (*cough* *cough*) how Cambridge has blocked/dead-ended several roads near elementary schools where they can get away with it, so they that are now in multiple pieces (ie. Salisbury Avenue, Chalmers St. S.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario