HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 9:43 AM
De Lurk Squad

The Westin and any other development along the 6th street corridor should not have any leg to stand on. This is Austin and that is why those people staying in their hotels are here. 6th street was here and the music scene was here long before them. There are plenty of locations to build your hotel and not mess with the integrity of what makes this city unique. Dont fix the bar fix the hotel...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
The Westin and any other development along the 6th street corridor should not have any leg to stand on. This is Austin and that is why those people staying in their hotels are here. 6th street was here and the music scene was here long before them. There are plenty of locations to build your hotel and not mess with the integrity of what makes this city unique. Dont fix the bar fix the hotel...
hear hear

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 9:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
I agree.

Honestly, the Westin hasn't done nearly enough sound-proofing and there are a lot of things they can still do to further mitigate the impact of all the noise. They definitely don't need to go the legal route if they want to foster good will with the community.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:08 PM

1/24-17
My kind of building:

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
The blank wall now works (in the perspective of the above photo, not the one beneath), IMHO, because of the separation from the detailed facade by windows. I love it (from this angle).

Last edited by wwmiv; Feb 10, 2017 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The blank wall now works, IMHO, because of the separation from the detailed facade by windows. I love it.
Wait - are you saying they added those separating windows to the blank wall side?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:56 PM

the "blank wall" is on the south side. These are the east and north facades.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 3:18 AM

A few from last Saturday. I don't know what was going on but there sure seemed to be a lot of people downtown that afternoon.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 3:32 AM
クラブトクヨ

I just don't understand the blank wall....surely this is for a mural? They could have continued the patter and chose not to... what is the rhyme and reason?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
A few from last Saturday. I don't know what was going on but there sure seemed to be a lot of people downtown that afternoon.
Women's March!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 3:42 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I thought the blank walls we complain about were because of a city rule. Am I wrong? Something about neighboring properties.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I just don't understand the blank wall....surely this is for a mural? They could have continued the patter and chose not to... what is the rhyme and reason?
They kept that patterned part over the Aloft portion of the blank wall, and continued the bare section to match the Element section of the hotel.

I understand why they did it, but it was the wrong choice. Should have continued the Aloft pattern throughout the whole blank wall.

Would be a great spot for a mural, but I really doubt they will do it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I thought the blank walls we complain about were because of a city rule. Am I wrong? Something about neighboring properties.
I believe it has to do with fire code and air rights. With the fire code, you can't build a building that has windows abutting the building next to it. Since that part of the building it right on the property line, there would be no space between it and a potential future neighbor, who also builds right up to their property line. The reason the other walls were able to have windows is because two sides are fronting the road, and the other wall is next to The Driskill, a historic building, which will most likely never expand higher. Aloft may own the air rights on top of the historic building, ensuring that nothing will ever be built above it. If you do not have the air rights of the adjacent properties, you can't assume that there will never be a building right next to you.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 7:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadingpa View Post
I believe it has to do with fire code and air rights. With the fire code, you can't build a building that has windows abutting the building next to it. Since that part of the building it right on the property line, there would be no space between it and a potential future neighbor, who also builds right up to their property line. The reason the other walls were able to have windows is because two sides are fronting the road, and the other wall is next to The Driskill, a historic building, which will most likely never expand higher. Aloft may own the air rights on top of the historic building, ensuring that nothing will ever be built above it. If you do not have the air rights of the adjacent properties, you can't assume that there will never be a building right next to you.
We don't have a legal framework for air rights in Austin, just fyi.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
We don't have a legal framework for air rights in Austin, just fyi.
Gotcha, thanks. I knew that they varied from state to state. It is a pretty interesting seeing how some places define/enforce air rights.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:10 PM

Blank wall idea : Link

Actually for the Aloft building I imagine there is lots of shading so in reality it wouldn't be a good idea, but it could work in other areas.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 7:04 PM

Untitled by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 10:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

I'm disappointed at how the niche ended up. I was hoping that there would be more windows across the indentation, instead it's just one row to the right. There's windows on the left wall which seems pointless IMO. A row of 3 or 4 windows all the way up would have been an improvement and would have made the view of the building looking up Congress less bleak and sterile. Someone needs to build a neighbor real soon so we can cover up that eyesore.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 10:28 PM
Meh

Yeah, I really don't like this building. I would have been fine with it not getting built. It might even get the ugliest highrise in Austin label from me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin