HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:23 PM

British Airways picked San Jose, CA over New Orleans in its latest round of U.S expansion. Daily SJC service starts in May. We'll have to wait even longer for that elusive London service. I don't see Virgin Atlantic here regardless of the Virgin Hotel because Virgin doesn't offer any connections out of Heathrow. It's BA or bust.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMSY79 View Post
British Airways picked San Jose, CA over New Orleans in its latest round of U.S expansion. Daily SJC service starts in May. We'll have to wait even longer for that elusive London service. I don't see Virgin Atlantic here regardless of the Virgin Hotel because Virgin doesn't offer any connections out of Heathrow. It's BA or bust.
Well Virgin is basically Delta now so its still a useful airline either way. But I would really like some London service !!!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:09 PM

The HRI project on Rampart is much improved from the first design, although it appears that they cut a floor or two. Also that will be a nice infill project on Banks St.

I suspect the Virgin airline most likely is Virgin America, probably to its hubs in San Francisco and Los Angeles, perhaps New York or Dallas as well. I agree that BA is probably our best shot at Euro service. Hopefully the SJC announcement is a signal that they are still in growth mode and MSY is next on the list.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 10:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
The HRI project on Rampart is much improved from the first design, although it appears that they cut a floor or two. Also that will be a nice infill project on Banks St.

I suspect the Virgin airline most likely is Virgin America, probably to its hubs in San Francisco and Los Angeles, perhaps New York or Dallas as well. I agree that BA is probably our best shot at Euro service. Hopefully the SJC announcement is a signal that they are still in growth mode and MSY is next on the list.
While they cut a floor they raised the heights of the floors. SO th ebuilding is close to same height as before just better scaling.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:57 AM

I think we'll see a Trans-Atlantic flight here eventually, but I think the state or airport board needs to pony up with some incentives or revenue guarantees to get the flight here. Hopefully, if the flight is successful those incentives can be curtailed. SJC is basically money in the bank for BA given the Silicon Valley business feed, so that was an nice conservative pick for them to start. New Orleans is the largest market in terms of overall demand to Europe that does not have a non-stop. Even if it is not BA, there are other carriers like Norwegian Air and Condor that could easily enter the market. They are more leisure focused, but at least it would be some type of service.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeburgerCheeburger View Post
The Paramount is fully leased.
I misspoke here - there's one more lease fronting Girod that should be announced soon.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:42 PM
-

Quote:
I misspoke here - there's one more lease fronting Girod that should be announced soon.
Ok i didnt know if Company Burger had leased it or not. Any idea on who it is?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 2:58 PM

Orpheum Done

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:40 PM

The Orpheum looks great!

Here is an article from nola.com on the $3 billion in new construction downtown. There is an animation showing projects year by year as well.
It's great to see so much new activity and people moving into downtown and the Warehouse District. Looks like this trend shows no signs of slowing either!

http://www.nola.com/katrina/index.ss...rt_maj-story-1

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Ok i didnt know if Company Burger had leased it or not. Any idea on who it is?
Should be another restaurant. I think they'll be announcing next week.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 10:16 PM
life is good

Got to town a couple days ago (and will be posting some construction updates in a day or two - if anyone has any requests I'll try to get to them). The city looks great, as usual. But what the f&&k is up with the St. Chaz streetcar still being reconstructed. It's been like 3 years straight at this point! I've ridden it numerous times during that period and the bustitution always sucks, too. It's like they are trying to make the bus part as slow as possible - despite a full streetcar transferring onto the bus, they don't leave for at least 10 minutes. Or today, there was no bus waiting when we got off the streetcar. Bus didn't show for at least 15 minutes. Ridiculous

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 10:54 PM

I am personally curious if anything is going on at the 1031 Canal Site, if you get a chance to check it out.

They replaced the tracks a couple of years ago on the St. Charles line, but this summer they suspended service so that the three major drainage projects uptown (Louisiana, Napoleon, and Jefferson) could be connected below the streetcar tracks. This was also coordinated with the construction of the intersection of the Canal and new Rampart lines this summer, so reduce the amount of time service will be out. I am pretty terrified to imagine what will happen when they begin construction on the Canal St. extension onto Canal Blvd.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 2:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I am personally curious if anything is going on at the 1031 Canal Site, if you get a chance to check it out.

They replaced the tracks a couple of years ago on the St. Charles line, but this summer they suspended service so that the three major drainage projects uptown (Louisiana, Napoleon, and Jefferson) could be connected below the streetcar tracks. This was also coordinated with the construction of the intersection of the Canal and new Rampart lines this summer, so reduce the amount of time service will be out. I am pretty terrified to imagine what will happen when they begin construction on the Canal St. extension onto Canal Blvd.
Yeah the streetcar should resume service all the way with no stops next week. Considering how uncoordinated things have been in the past this was actually well coordinated.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 2:24 PM
-

Quote:
Should be another restaurant. I think they'll be announcing next week.
Spill the beans !!! lol

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 2:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
The Orpheum looks great!

Here is an article from nola.com on the $3 billion in new construction downtown. There is an animation showing projects year by year as well.
It's great to see so much new activity and people moving into downtown and the Warehouse District. Looks like this trend shows no signs of slowing either!

http://www.nola.com/katrina/index.ss...rt_maj-story-1
They forgot my house !!!! Actually they missed quite a few things but still a neat list

Change of subject but I hear Restoration Hardware is locating on Canal Street. Anyone heard this?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 8:56 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yeah the streetcar should resume service all the way with no stops next week. Considering how uncoordinated things have been in the past this was actually well coordinated.
It's not actually track work holding up the streetcar anymore, that project is done.

The streetcar service is now suspended for the Army Corps' drainage projects on Louisiana, Napoleon and Jefferson which have to be extended across St Charles.

I doubt the Canal Blvd extension will cause much disruption to the streetcar service. Probably lane closures to Canal St/Blvd and City Park Ave though.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 11:03 PM
life is good

I got you prokowave

1031 Canal st #nola by robb, on Flickr

on to another location...

NOLA by robb, on Flickr

NOLA by robb, on Flickr

NOLA by robb, on Flickr

lots of other sites coming soon...

NOLA by robb, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 1:52 PM
life is good

Lee circle

Lee circle construction by robb, on Flickr

more pics of the new building u/c at SMD

Nola construction by robb, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 7:17 PM

As a former NO citizen, two things this past week stood out.

1. Your posts and pictures show a city making great progress. I can't believe some of the great developments taking place.

2. The networks, with Katrina's 10 year anniversary, showed a city that does not have a future. The people interviewed were depressing, and the camera backgrounds were of areas that were blighted. (The programs I watched, anyway.)

Thank you again for keeping us up-to-date on the amazing architectural and engineering progress being made. Your postings keep many of us in touch with a city we love.

How is the progress on the Canal Blvd - City Park streetcar-bus situation coming? Having lived in Lakeview and the Lakefront, I used that intersection daily.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 7:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
As a former NO citizen, two things this past week stood out.

1. Your posts and pictures show a city making great progress. I can't believe some of the great developments taking place.

2. The networks, with Katrina's 10 year anniversary, showed a city that does not have a future. The people interviewed were depressing, and the camera backgrounds were of areas that were blighted. (The programs I watched, anyway.)

Thank you again for keeping us up-to-date on the amazing architectural and engineering progress being made. Your postings keep many of us in touch with a city we love.

How is the progress on the Canal Blvd - City Park streetcar-bus situation coming? Having lived in Lakeview and the Lakefront, I used that intersection daily.

They are still in permitting phase for this. Should be starting soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations