HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 5:09 PM

Wow i want to meet that artist it sounds like he goes for what he wants. I don't think anyone takes the HT seriously anymore. They've been rejected two times in a row now for high-rises (trillium, Alexander).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 9:57 PM

I was there. Haliguy summed it up fairly well. The room was fairly evenly split between the developers and their family clan, heritage trust and their allies and the students/residents who live in the building. I was surprised that even people in the building spoke in favour of it... but then again its not a place that many of us envision staying in for long! Myself, I'm fine with the project but I'm really angry at how this process has been handled. This is my first time on the other side of the planning process and the amount of consideration given to notifying tenants is ridiculous.

1. The developer held a public meeting at the superstore and invited the whole neighbourhood except his tenants
2. No notice to anyone in the building from HRM because HRM only notifies property owners (aren't the days of needing to own property to pariticipate over?)
3. The sign that finally went up on the building says the building will be redeveloped. What is redeveloped? To the public that could mean refurbished or added onto, it doesn't indicate the reality the way demolish does.
4. The sign doesn't give the HRM website or indicate that there is going to be a public meeting followed by a hearing, it just says there is a proposal and gives the planners number.
5. The sign is located on the Morris Street side away from where people would easily notice it.

All and all the developer behaved as I would expect (tenants would be the natural source of resistence) and the city has dropped the ball. Really, if this is HRM's policy, what's the point of having a public process in a neighbourhood like mine when most people in it are renters? Funnily enough, an HRM newsletter was waiting for me when I got home today. That seems to find my mailbox alright but letting me know that my mailbox might get torn down is beyond their powers it would seem.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 10:18 PM

Hello everybody, I'm new to this site, but very passionate about development and making this city grow, and grow right.... how many people locally here are active on this forum?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 10:57 PM
we built this city

Pretty much everybody... I have lived around the world in my life, and I'm in Halifax right now. Might be working out in Dubai soon.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I was there. Haliguy summed it up fairly well. The room was fairly evenly split between the developers and their family clan, heritage trust and their allies and the students/residents who live in the building. I was surprised that even people in the building spoke in favour of it... but then again its not a place that many of us envision staying in for long! Myself, I'm fine with the project but I'm really angry at how this process has been handled. This is my first time on the other side of the planning process and the amount of consideration given to notifying tenants is ridiculous.

1. The developer held a public meeting at the superstore and invited the whole neighbourhood except his tenants
2. No notice to anyone in the building from HRM because HRM only notifies property owners (aren't the days of needing to own property to pariticipate over?)
3. The sign that finally went up on the building says the building will be redeveloped. What is redeveloped? To the public that could mean refurbished or added onto, it doesn't indicate the reality the way demolish does.
4. The sign doesn't give the HRM website or indicate that there is going to be a public meeting followed by a hearing, it just says there is a proposal and gives the planners number.
5. The sign is located on the Morris Street side away from where people would easily notice it.

All and all the developer behaved as I would expect (tenants would be the natural source of resistence) and the city has dropped the ball. Really, if this is HRM's policy, what's the point of having a public process in a neighbourhood like mine when most people in it are renters? Funnily enough, an HRM newsletter was waiting for me when I got home today. That seems to find my mailbox alright but letting me know that my mailbox might get torn down is beyond their powers it would seem.
I am all for this development, but I do understand yours and the other residents frustration.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOJOE View Post
Hello everybody, I'm new to this site, but very passionate about development and making this city grow, and grow right.... how many people locally here are active on this forum?
Welcome Joe, it's good to have soemone active in the development community here. I don't know how many people are active here but read some of the older threads and I'm sure you'll enjoy the comments. Just about everyone here is equally passionate about wanting development to take off in this city.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:57 AM

thanks keith, who out there can tell me something about 'fusion' I know very little about them, but what I hear I think I like them.. I googled them but the site isn't working

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:11 PM

There was some discussion on Fusion in this thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=150015

Welcome to the board

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:54 PM

Quote:
thanks keith, who out there can tell me something about 'fusion' I know very little about them, but what I hear I think I like them.. I googled them but the site isn't working
I am a member the of the Urban Development team with Fusion. We are there to encourage and support good development in the HRM. We have had developers come to us with info sessions on proposed developments. In fact the Fares Real Estate Inc the developers for the proposed Kings Wharf development are presenting to us today.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I am a member the of the Urban Development team with Fusion. We are there to encourage and support good development in the HRM. We have had developers come to us with info sessions on proposed developments. In fact the Fares Real Estate Inc the developers for the proposed Kings Wharf development are presenting to us today.
i'd like to get more info on fusion, maybe even join if it is what i think it is.. can you direct me to a contact person i can call and speak to?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 7:42 PM

Quote:
i'd like to get more info on fusion, maybe even join if it is what i think it is.. can you direct me to a contact person i can call and speak to?
Joe anyone can join, just goto their website.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 2:09 PM

I'm not sure why the web site isn't up right now but that is the best place to go. You can join fusion online there.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 3:21 PM

I joined fusion a few weeks ago. But I havnt been notified of anything yet. I would love to attend that session today for Kings Wharf. I live 10 mins away from it!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 7:41 PM

Just to get this thread back on topic they've added a new rendering from the corner of Hollis and Morris at street level here.

Maybe we should put "The Vic" as the name of this building instead of Hollis & Morris. It sounds more interesting...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 8:06 PM

Sad thing is Heritage trust will be fighting this one as well......

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 8:20 PM

If the HT does fight this they are going to have a tough job. This building is realitively short, preserves the facades and is about the same height as its neighbours. I even believe that HRM by Design allows it to be this tall...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
If the HT does fight this they are going to have a tough job. This building is realitively short, preserves the facades and is about the same height as its neighbours. I even believe that HRM by Design allows it to be this tall...
No facade are retained, and under HRM by design its higher then allowed.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 12:36 AM

I forgot was is currently there. From the renderings it looks like they are keeping the facades. But thats just because most designers wouldn't build a front like this from scratch. I guess to rephrase that the developer is being nice by providing historical looking facades instead of glass or concrete.

This project agreed with something in HRM by Design. Whatever it is that will be a boost to getting this approved.

Why are they limiting this area to 70'. That only allows maybe five storey buildings...that won't help densify downtown it'll only make it shorter...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I forgot was is currently there. From the renderings it looks like they are keeping the facades. But thats just because most designers wouldn't build a front like this from scratch. I guess to rephrase that the developer is being nice by providing historical looking facades instead of glass or concrete.

This project agreed with something in HRM by Design. Whatever it is that will be a boost to getting this approved.

Why are they limiting this area to 70'. That only allows maybe five storey buildings...that won't help densify downtown it'll only make it shorter...
the development is great for the area, and the facade approach is an attempt to keep the existing fabric of the area intact. I like it and think it would a wonderful fit. I am concerned with what may happen to the parking lot at the rear of the building if emera does proceed with the relocation to the former power station. I would hate to see this a parking structure.

That being said, it may meet the need for residential capacity and setbacks under HRM by design, however would never meet the height restrictions (silly mind you).

70 feet would equate to approximately 8 stories residential, 6-7 Commerical as source for education. Typical deck to deck construction of residential buildings is significantly less the commerical needs.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 3:51 AM

They might go for changing HRM by Design if it comes to that. The rest of the block is set with a 100' height while this part has the 70'. Doesn't make much sense if you ask me.
I've also learned that the smaller mass on Morris street is not the same brick as the piece on Hollis, but it will actually be wooden shingles to match with the rest of that block.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth