HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Hey, I know a lot of people who are into sociology and social history. Chicago is THE capital of those issues as it's really the first place where those issues arose and were sorted out (obviously due to the tense, chaotic, nature of boom-town Chicago). So I can see a certain type of tourist who comes here interested in social history who wants to check out Hull House and similar historic sites.

Now that we've removed the projects, I'm not sure it's something we should be ashamed of as a city any longer. After all, sorting through these social issues (Race Riots, Haymarket, Other Labor Unrest, Hull House, Sociology at U of C, Projects, Segregation, Lincoln, Obama, etc.) is a huge part of our identity and history as a city. To be honest I think we need to be proud of and aware of this past because it is fairly unieque and we've come a LONG way in how we handle such issues.

I can totally see a Public Housing Museum being a medium sized draw especially considering the other similar social-issue attractions Chicago has as a city. I think they just need to make sure they do it right. I has to be more than just some pictures and a model of a typical unit from the projects.
Thirded. Democracy Demands Wisdom.

Sorry for the frivolous post but I have been going on a protect the NEH rage of late.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:02 AM

Belmont and Rockwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
The long-stalled development at Belmont and Rockwell had some activity, though not much. What they were doing is beyond me:

Here's the original rendering I found of the above project on zillow for reference:
What's sad about this is that the site plan, the general composition, the massing are all quite good. But of course we all know that the building will be constructed of cinder block, the cheapest brick available, aluminum metalwork, and the cheapest aluminum framed windows.

Thus the overall effect will be absolutely ruined and stand as a sad contrast to the real deal on nearby streets.

Every time this happens I always end up wondering what was there before. What contextually appropriate humble mixed use buildings stood here at one time?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxt22 View Post
Every time this happens I always end up wondering what was there before. What contextually appropriate humble mixed use buildings stood here at one time?
http://www.historicaerials.com/

Looks like there was a one story industrial building with parking along Rockwell from the 1940s up until this project went up. Nothing to cry over.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:36 AM

Responses to ChiPhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
What we have to keep in mind, and no one has addressed this here, is that gentrification, though it sucks for the individual is what keeps the city alive and social services available to the poor. So while one in poverty may have lost his or her house, he or she still gained as city-wide values rose and he or she now living further west is in a better neighborhood. And we do see increasing interest in better schools and police in poor neighborhoods. The problem is, can these end cyclical poverty and, moreover, is it the responsibility of the urbanist to respond to these problems because he or she comes to heads with it in the immanent gentrification of a growing city? Can he or she simply ignore these massive problems inherent in gentrification for someone else? I like to think that good development is that which is economically diverse. One of the benefits of a great urban vision is that the wealthy and poor are all on the same level as they navigate the streets by foot, mingling and passing as they do so. The only way to achieve this is by creating a comprehensive program of compensation for those that lose their homes and offering affordable housing in all new developments. Problems of course arise as the now gentrifying slums were undesirable in the first place because of issues like crime and safety. How do we separate the law abiding yet disadvantaged citizen from the drug dealer?

That was my rant / questioning on gentrification, I hope you've enjoyed.
I feel it's insane to create a program of displacement compensation. Leases have limited durations, and owners can be bought out. It is (and should be) beyond the power of American government to steal more money from taxpayers and distribute it to everyone who is a "victim" of the terms to which they are contractually bound.

Now, eminent domain is another thing altogether. Somebody mentioned Little Italy and Maxwell St as examples of gentrification during that annoying fight about Logan Square. That is not an example to be held up. That's the quintessential example of Chicago political corruption and lucrative kickbacks through eminent domain threats to the benefit of cozied up private developers.

That would be a matter of social justice to be remedied by the courts. It'd be akin to the city condemning the properties around Logan Square, the state seizing them with eminent domain, and private developers using the land to replace all the current buildings with ten story condo buildings.

I do not think it's for benevolent planners to continue to try to and fail to eradicate poverty, especially by doing things like mandating affordable housing ratios. We again see the results of this near Maxwell, where those occupying the affordable units are not truly needy, and even these people simply sell their units to the wealthy and move somewhere else. It's token politics. All this does is add another cost on to development, lowering the breadth of possible profitable ventures and decreasing the allowable optional expenses, such as quality of construction.

Further, I don't think it's true anymore that gentrification helps the poor overall, because the roll of neighborhood organizations and fraternal organizations has been replaced by state and federal welfare and healthcare programs. The aggregate wealth of the state and nation is therefore more relevant now than the aggregate wealth of the city. The neighborhoods may increase the latter but Illinois' and America's wealth are in demonstrable decline. Schools and police are important, but primarily as responses to symptoms, not causes. Further, is Chicago's wealth increasing? I think not. We're 200K down in the last decade, and while Logan Square may increase in wealth, Englewood finishes hollowing out, Chatham is threatened with displaced CHA violence, Auburn Gresham struggles to keep its head above water, and N Lawndale awaits hispanics pushing passed Ogden. Etc, etc, etc.

Your last question is exactly the synopsis of the problem with public solutions to society's rather private problems. Knowledge and wisdom cannot be infinite and therefore the planners cannot know the answers to these crucial questions -- answers which would be inherent in the imaginary success of such foolhardy schemes.

Quote:
Sounds like the worst of the city and the suburbs to me, but maybe it will be redeveloped some day.

I've always felt that the strange and sudden drop off south of the loop is crazy and, especially from the top of the sears, it looks ridiculous. We need to get more serious about building up the Sloop as a real alternative to River North (ie, tell AMLI to add more density and retail to their newest property). Eventually, we may even see something like the Park Michigan (to balance out the skyline behind Grant Park) or businesses moving south of Congress. South of congress seems more if not just as convenient as crossing a river from the major train artery stops (Oglvie, Union etc.).

If this happens, Hyde Park will no longer be a U of C fueled oasis of gentrification on the south side and we may see other neighborhoods follow suit as real urbanism (or at least gentrification/ improvements) spreads south and north from these two neighborhoods.
Pardon me, but the near South and near North were similarly dense at one point. The drop off may be sudden, but it isn't magical. There's a reason. The black belt was among the densest areas in the city. The area on State S of Roosevelt was a black downtown. 22nd had midrise hotels and dense tenement buildings near Michigan and State. The area S of that around 24th and that area displaced by the start of the Stevenson and the urban renewal just to the S of it was once a large, dense hospital district, and a center for fraternal and social organizations. The Prairie Ave district extended all the way down South, but paths of density cut across it at 31st, 35th, 43rd, ad so on. The apartments on the South are quite dense compared to much of pre-1940 Chicago, and those cross streets I just mentioned once included midrises approaching 10 stories, especially at 31st and 35th before IIT and Michael Reese carpet bombed all of it.

The reason this doesn't exist anymore is government central planning. From highways to urban renewal projects that cover most of the near South to extensive, pervasive public housing, most of the density was destroyed from the top down. Public housing killed the black downtowns on S State and 47th. There was a lot to destroy, but the government was remarkably effective.

So it's not strange. It's intentional. Get mad about it.

A source for some of this info:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4902308...7624762439520/
Check out 31st/Groveland, for example, or most all of those over photos.

Behold in those pictures the market's method of housing the poor. Truly the ghettos these buildings would become are wholly different than the ghettos the planners create. Which is more hopeless? Maybe take a gander at photos of 47th or 35th in the 30s and 40s, and decide for yourself.

As to the South loop, that was all railroad land, except around between Michigan to State. So that's a pretty good reason.

Last edited by vxt22; Apr 18, 2012 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post

Looks like there was a one story industrial building with parking along Rockwell from the 1940s up until this project went up. Nothing to cry over.
True enough. But it isn't necessarily about saving what was, but rather making sure what replaces it is better. Example is the CBOT building. The old building was amazing, but nobody remembers it now because the new one is so much better.

To me, it is not about traditionalism vs modernism, either. Modernist buildings from the 60s and 70s were unparalleled as public buildings, for example. Rather, it is about insisting on quality. This building could be wonderful, but it probably wont be because it'll likely be built as cheaply as humanly possible, without builder pride about what he is adding or subtracting from the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standpoor View Post
Thirded. Democracy Demands Wisdom.

Sorry for the frivolous post but I have been going on a protect the NEH rage of late.
What democracy? And if you refer to the complete breakdown of the republican system designed in this country, and we assume democracy, then what wisdom?

I also apologize for these substantial tangents; I just wish everyone knew how this city and it's ordinary citizens -- those who've lived here for generations and know nothing else -- are continually betrayed by the gov at all levels and their profiteer friends. ESPECIALLY, even MOSTLY, under the banner of social justice and benevolence. The evidence, all potential lessons, lies all over the city, scarring its fabric and destroying its memory for future generations.

Of course, they're merely "mistakes." Until they happen again. Did Maxwell's community have a choice in the 2000s? They were vocally defiant til the bulldozers came calling.

Last edited by vxt22; Apr 18, 2012 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:16 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
The reason this doesn't exist anymore is government central planning. From highways to urban renewal projects that cover most of the near South to extensive, pervasive public housing, most of the density was destroyed from the top down. Public housing killed the black downtowns on S State and 47th. There was a lot to destroy, but the government was remarkably effective.
The reason this doesn't exist anymore is ill conceived and misguided government central planning of the mid-20th century, of which is currently universally understood as being such.

There, I fixed that for you.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The reason this doesn't exist anymore is ill conceived and misguided government central planning of the mid-20th century, of which is currently universally understood as being such.

There, I fixed that for you.
The reason I used old examples is because that's when this area was "improved." Need a more recent one?

How about United Center? Not recent enough?

May I present to you the fields to the SW of Roosevelt/Ashland. They extend all the way to Western/Ogden and the rail yards. These fields were once a continuation of Pilsen, essentially. Then came the medical district and their state eminent domain. Now they give land to Costco and the CIA. Apparently hospitals now take many forms.

Not recent enough?

Have a look at the story of Maxwell St vs UIC and Daley's developer friends.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:53 AM

Quote:

This is hands down my new favorite website. I can't believe I didn't know about this before

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:48 PM

Via Crain's Business, Fred Lasko, who heads a New York based realty investment trust, is planning for a 26 story, 200 unit apartment tower at 212-232 West Illinois. He plans to start this summer after getting a construction loan. The city council has already given approval for the project.

Another surface lot bites the dust !!!

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...-on-gold-coast

Last three paragraphs of the article.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 2:07 PM
BANNED

^This should be in the Highrises thread, but excellent to hear. I think it is about time that we can start breaking out the bannana's again after years of depressing bannanalessness.

Also, Mike Lasko? I know that name, what else has he done around the city? He sounds really familiar...

Quote:
What's sad about this is that the site plan, the general composition, the massing are all quite good. But of course we all know that the building will be constructed of cinder block, the cheapest brick available, aluminum metalwork, and the cheapest aluminum framed windows.

Thus the overall effect will be absolutely ruined and stand as a sad contrast to the real deal on nearby streets.

I tend to agree with you, but, as a resident of the area, let me clarify that everything in the immediate vincinity of that property is less than impressive. Even the old two flats in the area are amoung the ugliest in the city. Once you pass California, then the quality of the buildings goes up dramatically, but everything adjacent to that building is pretty much trash.

Also, you are an occasional contributer, but it seems when you do post, you post with avengence, lol.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:07 PM

Quote:
^This should be in the Highrises thread, but excellent to hear. I think it is about time that we can start breaking out the bannana's again after years of depressing bannanalessness.

Also, Mike Lasko? I know that name, what else has he done around the city? He sounds really familiar...

I tend to agree with you, but, as a resident of the area, let me clarify that everything in the immediate vincinity of that property is less than impressive. Even the old two flats in the area are amoung the ugliest in the city. Once you pass California, then the quality of the buildings goes up dramatically, but everything adjacent to that building is pretty much trash.

Also, you are an occasional contributer, but it seems when you do post, you post with avengence, lol.
Fred Latsko had his hands in a lot of that stuff with Mark Hunt, and now Don Wilson, around Oak/Rush and Walton/Rush. He was involved at least in a money capacity on Barney's and then Lululemon. Last one I know for sure he was involved with after Lululemon was the conversion of the Sur la Table building on Walton into Sprinkles Cupcakes and an as-yet undeveloped space.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:10 PM

That's great! I can't believe the rate at which these towers are going up now even just after a giant real estate crash. These type of surface lots in river north are going to be endangered species in a few years. I wonder how much pressure that will create to build towers in the area around rainforest cafe and mcdonalds?

Do you think we will see this type of river north development migrate north to Cabrini Green and North/clybourn in 10 years times? Cabrini Green has tons of vacant land now and the Gold Coast and Old town are already built out. North/clyborn already has shopping and night life built in. I don't know if the south loop is going to be doing much in the future. It seems like development has stopped there.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
I feel it's insane to create a program of displacement compensation. Leases have limited durations, and owners can be bought out. It is (and should be) beyond the power of American government to steal more money from taxpayers and distribute it to everyone who is a "victim" of the terms to which they are contractually bound.
The problem occurs when we speak about the poor who have been living in these neighborhoods for generations. It is sad that they lose the place that holds their history. That being said, I fully understand that there is no "perfect" or even "passable" solution. I consider myself fiscally conservative to an extent, but I do have a problem with screwing over the poor who are too poor to buy a home - I think the best way is through "mixed income housing." When a new condo development is built, a certain number would be given to private companies who will only take section 8 slips. Moreover, if the tenets do not like the service of these companies, they can vote to have the apartment ownership moved. This would prevent powerful, clout heavy men and women from taking these apartments and then leaving them in disrepair while collecting market rent.

Quote:
I do not think it's for benevolent planners to continue to try to and fail to eradicate poverty, especially by doing things like mandating affordable housing ratios. We again see the results of this near Maxwell, where those occupying the affordable units are not truly needy, and even these people simply sell their units to the wealthy and move somewhere else. It's token politics. All this does is add another cost on to development, lowering the breadth of possible profitable ventures and decreasing the allowable optional expenses, such as quality of construction.
See my above attempt at eradicating this sort of problem.

Quote:
Further, I don't think it's true anymore that gentrification helps the poor overall, because the roll of neighborhood organizations and fraternal organizations has been replaced by state and federal welfare and healthcare programs. The aggregate wealth of the state and nation is therefore more relevant now than the aggregate wealth of the city. The neighborhoods may increase the latter but Illinois' and America's wealth are in demonstrable decline. Schools and police are important, but primarily as responses to symptoms, not causes. Further, is Chicago's wealth increasing? I think not. We're 200K down in the last decade, and while Logan Square may increase in wealth, Englewood finishes hollowing out, Chatham is threatened with displaced CHA violence, Auburn Gresham struggles to keep its head above water, and N Lawndale awaits hispanics pushing passed Ogden. Etc, etc, etc.
Though the city may not provide welfare checks, they do provide schools (though I think that good schools are very important), police (extremely important) and they keep the city running. City's like Detroit where everyone wealthy has fled to the suburbs (though this is changing) might give you some insight.

Quote:
Pardon me, but the near South and near North were similarly dense at one point. The drop off may be sudden, but it isn't magical. There's a reason. The black belt was among the densest areas in the city. The area on State S of Roosevelt was a black downtown. 22nd had midrise hotels and dense tenement buildings near Michigan and State. The area S of that around 24th and that area displaced by the start of the Stevenson and the urban renewal just to the S of it was once a large, dense hospital district, and a center for fraternal and social organizations. The Prairie Ave district extended all the way down South, but paths of density cut across it at 31st, 35th, 43rd, ad so on. The apartments on the South are quite dense compared to much of pre-1940 Chicago, and those cross streets I just mentioned once included midrises approaching 10 stories, especially at 31st and 35th before IIT and Michael Reese carpet bombed all of it.

So it's not strange. It's intentional. Get mad about it.

A source for some of this info:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4902308...7624762439520/
Check out 31st/Groveland, for example, or most all of those over photos.

Behold in those pictures the market's method of housing the poor. Truly the ghettos these buildings would become are wholly different than the ghettos the planners create. Which is more hopeless? Maybe take a gander at photos of 47th or 35th in the 30s and 40s, and decide for yourself.

As to the South loop, that was all railroad land, except around between Michigan to State. So that's a pretty good reason.
The thing is, these buildings weren't built when this was the "black belt." It only became the black belt after all the white's left (because the blacks moved in)... The "market" solution was former mansions in decay. Moreover, there is a difference between tenement housing and the density that people want. No one should hope for tenement housing. And now that the sloop has been "gentrified," I would love to see similar density to River North.

Overall, I was just hoping that we might also recognize that gentrification is a problem for many and not something to be completely happy about.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:50 AM

I believe there's renderings of 212 w Illinois in the highrise or city comp thread. It looked pretty good plus we get to see that brick building on the corner rehabbed

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:50 AM
TL;DR

I'm curious about that corner parcel next to the old firehouse... currently it is 8 or 9 parking spaces. I assume it originally had a building?

I wonder what kind of skinny building used to be there.

Hopefully it gets filled with something by the JDL team. There's a similar sliver building at Chicago and Clark, but I have no idea what it's used for... it looked empty when I saw it a few months ago.

edit: found it

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:08 AM

Quote:
The problem occurs when we speak about the poor who have been living in these neighborhoods for generations. It is sad that they lose the place that holds their history. That being said, I fully understand that there is no "perfect" or even "passable" solution. I consider myself fiscally conservative to an extent, but I do have a problem with screwing over the poor who are too poor to buy a home - I think the best way is through "mixed income housing." When a new condo development is built, a certain number would be given to private companies who will only take section 8 slips. Moreover, if the tenets do not like the service of these companies, they can vote to have the apartment ownership moved. This would prevent powerful, clout heavy men and women from taking these apartments and then leaving them in disrepair while collecting market rent.

See my above attempt at eradicating this sort of problem.

Though the city may not provide welfare checks, they do provide schools (though I think that good schools are very important), police (extremely important) and they keep the city running. City's like Detroit where everyone wealthy has fled to the suburbs (though this is changing) might give you some insight.

The thing is, these buildings weren't built when this was the "black belt." It only became the black belt after all the white's left (because the blacks moved in)... The "market" solution was former mansions in decay. Moreover, there is a difference between tenement housing and the density that people want. No one should hope for tenement housing. And now that the sloop has been "gentrified," I would love to see similar density to River North.

Overall, I was just hoping that we might also recognize that gentrification is a problem for many and not something to be completely happy about.

1. Yes it is sad that they lose their homes sometimes. But I don't think this is a problem that can be solved in a way that prevents the solution from being worse than the problem. My solution is different than yours -- the Oakland Kenwood area has something called a conservation area. It has a neighborhood council that can shoot down developers and make them go back to the drawing board and come back with a better development that the community approves of. It has been pretty successful. I support this on as small a scale as a couple blocks, and hundreds of these throughout Chicago. It holds the developers to a higher standard, and neighbors can themselves weigh restrictions on developers against what would be higher property values without the restrictions. Each community could decide its own restrictions on who can join these councils, such as whether renters can. This doesn't solve the problem we're discussing, but it does put the solution and debate at the most local level possible so that each community can determine its own path. It also helps neighbors on three flat blocks prevent teardowns for double lot McMansions.

2. As to police, it's important but as a response to problems, not a solution. And as to schools, you're talking to somebody who would prefer that education went back to being a private, community and parent based affair with no public education at all. Failing that, at least we could pass a law saying no labor unions in the public education system. Failing that, at least give local parents control of the use of the education funds that go to educating their children.

3. I thought it was pretty obvious that the market solution I was referring to was reuse of old buildings and community infrastructure.

What is a tenement? A tenement is just a name that people assign to apartment buildings with low income occupants. There is nothing especially bad about "tenements," except the fact that in general the owners of these buildings did not update them with better plumbing in the 20s/30s. The awful conditions, real or imagined, were as a result of the solution to rent as too high a percentage of total income -- add more roommates. In fact, this density is the only way to successfully sustain a very poor community, as their purchasing power per area must still be high enough to support local business districts. This is one main reason why subsidized housing, wherein the tenants lease more space than they can afford, results in little business or jobs.

Remember that the "tenements" that do remain throughout the city are now valued in places like Wicker Park and Edgewater.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:35 AM
The City

Surprised this wasn't posted. The good news is, it looks like the bike-sharing system will be available all year around, not just in the warm months:

Bike-Rental Plan Gets City Council Approval
April 18, 2012 4:03 PM

(STMW) – Chicago will have 3,000 bicycles to rent from 300 stations this summer — and 4,000 bikes at 400 stations by next year — under an ambitious plan approved by the City Council Wednesday to provide the “missing link” in mass transit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:45 AM

^^^ ugh, that will now make it nearly impossible to get around the tourist on the lake shore path when running or biking. I guess it's good for the city though. It does well in Miami.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Maybe he's looking at moving back to Chicago soon.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:42 AM

Quote:
What is a tenement? A tenement is just a name that people assign to apartment buildings with low income occupants. There is nothing especially bad about "tenements," except the fact that in general the owners of these buildings did not update them with better plumbing in the 20s/30s. The awful conditions, real or imagined, were as a result of the solution to rent as too high a percentage of total income -- add more roommates. In fact, this density is the only way to successfully sustain a very poor community, as their purchasing power per area must still be high enough to support local business districts. This is one main reason why subsidized housing, wherein the tenants lease more space than they can afford, results in little business or jobs.

Remember that the "tenements" that do remain throughout the city are now valued in places like Wicker Park and Edgewater.
Agree 100% with you on this. There was/is nothing bad about tenement housing, whether it is a large multi unit building or a mansion cut up into numerous apartments. The powers that be saw them as deplorable slums where people lived in squalor, but the fact is, as you mentioned, it allowed for communities and local businesses to thrive because of the sheer density.

Also as you mentioned, allowing these areas to exist can act as a method of preservation till the localized market conditions change once again, allowing many of these former tenements to be converted into attractive apartments, condos, homes, etc. You can look to many parts of NYC to see how these areas have evolved, or even former slums of Paris/London/Barcelona.

Its an unfortunate that Chicago took such a heavy handed top down approach to control of the poor, but it is a reality that we must deal with moving forward, lets just try to prevent it from happening once again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development