HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 7:54 AM

Trump won, AP called it, Hillary has conceded, will speak tomorrow. Trump to speak soon.

Just wanted to share this exchange with our favorite resident poll addict from a while ago:

Original comment:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=500

My response:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=502

McGovern indeed.

Bonus:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=504

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Trump won, AP called it, Hillary has conceded, will speak tomorrow. Trump to speak soon.

Just wanted to share this exchange with our favorite resident poll addict from a while ago:

Original comment:

My response:

McGovern indeed.

Bonus:

People didn't underestimate Trump, they overestimated the intelligence of the American people.

PS the USA doesn't have a free trade agreement with China. Maybe you're thinking Trump will pull the USA out of the WTO, with no consequences?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:02 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ugh. This feels worse than when Bush won his second term, and probably will be.

Oh well. At least we have Trudeau as a buffer and not Harper to cheerlead.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:17 AM

the loonie fell a full cent.
people with 401Ks aren't feeling too well, they lost 5% apparently

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:19 AM

Canada immigration website crashes amid strong Trump lead

https://www.rt.com/viral/365924-cana...website-crash/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
An aside, the 10 most shared videos of the campaign are all from Hillary Clinton's side. I think we're going to see a blowout, 350 electoral college delegates+ for her.
Whoops!!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:23 AM
BANNED

Hi everyone!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:24 AM

Quote:
You don't count Mitt Romney as a "blue state" Republican?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
People didn't underestimate Trump, they overestimated the intelligence of the American people.

PS the USA doesn't have a free trade agreement with China. Maybe you're thinking Trump will pull the USA out of the WTO, with no consequences?
Again with your gotcha games instead of talking about the real issues. USA doesn't technically have a free trade agreement with China, but they have a very exploitative trade relationship which disadvantages American workers.

And again, tone deaf "tolerant liberals" screaming "racist" "sexist" "bigot" "uneducated" at people who happen to share different political views.

For the record, my favourite candidate by far was Bernie Sanders - a candidate who Clinton unethically colluded to sabotage. I am no Trump supporter - I have been playing devil's advocate in this thread - I simply understand why he appeals to people.

And "tolerant liberals" like yourself continually putting your fingers in your ears and shouting "racist" "sexist" "bigot" "uneducated" at half the population is doing nothing to advance a progressive agenda.

Sanders had a better shot at winning. Sanders signature issue was exactly the same as Trump's - anti free trade. It cost Clinton the Midwest and the election. Democrats should ask themselves why they didn't put up Sanders as the nominee, and in failing to do so, set back progressive policies in the United States likely by decades. The Supreme Court may not recover in our lifetimes.

This was entirely avoidable, and at the centre of blame of the result tonight, is Hillary Clinton and her campaign.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Sorry, I sincerely mistook you for someone else. You sound a lot like me, and when I'm not confusing who you are, I tend to find you alright. All apologies, again.
No problem at all!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:27 AM

Quote:

I don't know if it feels worse than Bush's second win to me, but it might be on a par. I was absolutely aghast and nonplussed when Bush won for the second time, given his 2001-2005 record of travesties. This election result, though unquestionably surprising, isn't utterly unexpected.

I sure hope Trudeau doesn't supplicate himself to Strumpf, but rather treats him with the same sardonic, stealthy disdain that his father treated Nixon. Nixon detested Pierre for being the smarter, more popular kid in school. Justin, likeable as he is, does not have his father's brilliance or urbane bearing, so I don't know if he can pull it off.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the loonie fell a full cent.
It's actually pretty stable at ~74.6 US cents.

I was kinda hoping for the US dollar to fall against the loonie, but it seems that Trump's election didn't have much of an effect.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:28 AM

Brave new world.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:29 AM

Lots of good investment opportunities as markets over-react to the news.

"Follow the panic"

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:34 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Whoops!!
Indeed.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:37 AM

Quote:

Original comment:

My response:

McGovern indeed.

Bonus:

Haha. You are definitely an oddball. A very strong AB NDP supporter, which support has collapsed to 14% in AB according to the Innovative Research opinion poll from Sunday - a "CATI" poll. BTW, I understand the CA polling industry - very much so. Not the US polling industry with the humungus amount of firms/methodologies. So I just simply deferred to 538 (poll aggregator) for the U.S election.

OTOH, you also come across as a Trump supporter (along with your AB NDP support). Definitely a strange breed and Trump's persona/character/positions are obviously also wayyyyy over your head. You will unfortunately come to understand same moving forward. No doubt.

Quote:
Reagan sentiments redux. Reagan the white supremacist, who if we elect him, you will not recognize the country anymore.

If this election should teach you anything, it is to turn down the hyperbole and extend an olive branch to the people who have a different political worldview than you.

Continually calling them bigots, sexist, racist, uneducated monsters, isn't getting anyone anywhere.
Nada. Nope. Completely wrong. Reagan was a relative moderate and likable guy. Complete opposite of Trump. Again, you come across as politically wet behind the ears.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:40 AM
sick transit, gloria

Ugh. Well I watched that whole thing in a bar in Toronto. People were crying.

Have to concede that all my projections were wrong - he actually won. We'll see what the fallout is soon but I'm personally glad I have this week off. Got some extra cash I could invest...

Just glad I don't live in the U.S. and have a stable job.

Canadian Dollar Tanks A Whole Cent U.S. In 4 Hours

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/11..._12875796.html

Quote:

Don't worry too much, this is just leaving me in a mere meh.

Guessing some political establishment of theirs just collapsed. We saw far worst disasters, eh.

Anyway, if they expect walls all around their country that would supposedly keep them safe from any so-called outside threat, I'm pretty sure Trump's voters will be deeply disappointed. In today's world, isolationism leads nowhere but to impoverishment.
So, it's up to them...

Trump is nothing much but a random businessman. He just fooled them all, didn't he? Lol, nasty man... Now he's going to learn about actual power and responsibilities while he'll be in office.

I would only encourage the Canadians to stay cool and just remain what they've been. Some sort of mix between "hey, 'murika baby" and old Europe, which is fine.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I sure hope Trudeau doesn't supplicate himself to Strumpf, but rather treats him with the same sardonic, stealthy disdain that his father treated Nixon. Nixon detested Pierre for being the smarter, more popular kid in school. Justin, likeable as he is, does not have his father's brilliance or urbane bearing, so I don't know if he can pull it off.
I wonder how long it will take until we see something like this again.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

CREDIT: This Hour Has 22 Minutes/CBC
Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish tosses a George W. Bush doll on the floor and then grinds it in with her boot in an episode of CBC-TV's satirical This Hour Has 22 Minutes. Conservative and some Liberal MPs have denounced the prank as "bizarre and stupid."

Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish appears on This Hour Has 22 Minutes.

OTTAWA - Renegade Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish has once again enraged members of the opposition and her own caucus after tossing a George W. Bush doll on the floor and grinding it under her heel on a satirical television show.

Incensed Conservative MPs demanded that Ms. Parrish -- who last year referred to Americans as "bastards" and more recently likened the U.S. war effort in Iraq to "a coalition of the idiots" -- be banished from the Liberal caucus for her anti-American outburst.

Tory House leader John Reynolds said the incident sets the wrong example, particularly for children, and suggested "somebody like that needs some real help."

He also said Prime Minister Paul Martin should "kick her out and make her sit as an independent. Sometimes integrity should win over minority government."

But the outrage did not emanate only from the opposition benches.

Ontario Liberal MP Roger Gallaway called the stunt "bizarre and stupid," and lamented Ms. Parrish's theatrics as "a rather perverse joke."

"It's a pathetic spectacle that someone would behave in this fashion. I would expect more from infants. It's rotten timing ... and I would hope that she would consider mending her ways," said Mr. Gallaway, who nonetheless argued against bouncing Ms. Parrish, a four-term MP who represents the Toronto-area constituency of Mississauga-Erindale.

"I have a fundamental problem with removing someone from caucus because they're being bizarre and stupid. This place allows all kinds of bizarre and stupid behaviour. Stupidity is a defence here," he said.

Liberal caucus chairman Andy Savoy said he spoke to Ms. Parrish yesterday when she said she appeared on the program as a lark and thought the item was funny. Mr. Savoy, for his part, said he disagreed with her view of Americans and felt that stomping on an effigy of the U.S. President was "irresponsible."

The kerfuffle surrounds an excerpt from the CBC program This Hour Has 22 Minutes, which features a host handing a Bush action figure to a gleeful Ms. Parrish, who then drops it on the ground and stomps on it as the camera zooms in. The camera then pulls back to show a beaming Ms. Parrish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada