HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 9:08 AM

That was a Newfoundland moment if ever I've seen one haha

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 12:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love Fog Off - didn't realize they were marketing directly to the LGBT community. Awesome.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 6:44 PM

It doesn't surprise me that Calgary has so few bars for it's size.

The youth are abandoning the gay bar scene and Calgary is the youngest city in the country. I go out in Vancouver once or twice a year just to remind myself how much I dislike it. Sometimes I'll go to the Pumpjack and I swear to god that 90% of the men who go there are the same guys who went there 20 years ago. I rarely go out and yet recognized nearly all of them from the last time I went and they were all my age of 50+.

Except for the die hard drunks, most bar bars are now populated by tourists.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 8:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few pics from Nightmare on Water Street at Velvet LGBT Bar. It was competing against the George Street Mardi Gras so I'm impressed with the turnout.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 8:58 PM
I am a typical

These breasts aren't convincing at all. I can totally tell it's a man.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 2:31 AM
Closed account

I think they might be made from those Nestle drumstick wrappers.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 9:30 PM
ARTchitecture

Great little article about Calgary's fourth and newest gay bar, Backwards, set to open late December.

Quote:

But there’ll also be a level of customer service you may not get at other clubs, he added.

“We want to do proper wine service and we want you to be able to order a steak sandwich at 2 a.m.,” Handy said. “And that is backwards to what everyone else is doing.”

Though the owners intend to be different compared to other venues in the city, some in the LGBTQ community don’t think there’s a need for another gay bar.

“(It’d) be great to have lots more businesses of sorts — including cafes, restaurants, etc. — that are prominently LGBTQ positive,” said Dave Richards, who been part of the scene since the early ‘90s. “There’s no need in my mind for a gay bar these days — we go everywhere.”

However, Backwards co-owner Michael Beaudin said he knows there’s a crowd looking for what the club is offering — it wont be just “another gay bar.”

“(Patrons) are not just looking for a place to go out — they’re looking for quality,” Handy added.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...onal-mold.html

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 2:06 AM
I am a typical

Because if you're still in the bar at 2am, the steak sandwich is probably the best meat you can hope for at that point.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 2:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

someone needs to spank vid

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 2:31 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
You must not have noticed because you certainly wouldn't have posted it if you had, but... he's wearing a Canada shirt that says "our country."

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 2:33 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Because if you're still in the bar at 2am, the steak sandwich is probably the best meat you can hope for at that point.
LMFAO! You win the internet for the week!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 3:52 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
someone needs to spank vid
You can do it. I believe in you!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2015, 3:06 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Something new for the Davie Village in Vancouver.

Quote:
New $2.3-million LGBTQ plaza approved for Davie Street in West End

A new major public plaza on Davie Street in downtown Vancouver’s West End neighbourhood could be ready in time for Vancouver’s 2016 Pride festivities.

Last week, Vancouver City Council unanimously approved to turn half a city block of Bute Street from Davie to Burnaby streets into a permanent pedestrianized space named after Jim Deva, a well-known LGBTQ activist who passed away last year.

The plaza will cost $2.3 million to construct and is being implemented as the first phase of a multi-year project to improve the Davie Village’s public spaces. The design elements will include special paving to identify the public space, an extension of the symbolic rainbow elements already found at the rainbow crosswalk, standard benches, custom tables and chairs, raised crossings to enhance bicycle and pedestrian connections, suspended wire-based catenary lighting, and power and water connections and projector lights for special events.
Article, with photos: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/j...end-vancouver/

Old Posted Dec 25, 2015, 10:10 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Something new for the Davie Village in Vancouver.

Article, with photos: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/j...end-vancouver/
Great decision, can't wait for the whole thing (even just the Bute blocks on both sides of Davie). Its this kind of thing that will make the "village" a real thing.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2015, 12:29 AM

Gay life exists outside the holy trinity of Toronto-Montreal-Vancouver?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Edmonton Oilers Become First NHL Team To Use Pride Tape To Support LGBTQ Communities
by Adrian Garcia 01/25/2016
- See more at: http://www.thegailygrind.com/2016/01....x6aX0vmZ.dpuf

The Edmonton Oilers put their support for LGBTQ youth on full display Sunday, becoming the first NHL team to use Pride Tape, a multicolored tape to promote inclusiveness in sports.

The Oilers wrapped their hockey sticks with the tape Sunday during their annual Skills Competition at Rexall Place.

Andrew Ference
“Many view professional hockey players as role models and our team felt this was a great initiative to let every person know they’re welcome in the game of hockey,” defenseman Andrew Ference told the Oilers website. “We’re all proud to play for a team and city that supports diversity and human rights.”

“This conversation wouldn’t have happened when I started playing hockey,” Ference said.

“We know that trickle down effect will happen to the younger kids playing the same sport,” he said.

Ference said growing up he had a friend who stopped playing hockey because he was gay and didn’t feel comfortable in the locker room.

“It’s something that means a lot to me, knowing that you’ve had friends who were directly affected.”

Pride Tape is an initiative of the Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services at the University of Alberta, which has a Kickstarter campaign currently underway to make 10,000 rolls of the rainbow colored hockey tape, reports metro news.

“We have had supporters from all over the world come and back us,” said Kris Wells, director of the institute.

Metro adds:
Wells said the support from the Oilers along with boosts from Hockey Night in Canada and Calgary Flames President Brian Burke have all moved them closer to their $54,000 fundraising goal.
“Every time we see the NHL become involved we see more people come back the campaign,” he said.

Wells said when they reach their goal they hope to distribute much of the tape to minor hockey organizations. He said they will also encourage them to make sure they’re doing everything they can to be welcoming to LGBTQ players.

“Athletes are profound role models and by using Pride Tape they can send a message of support and inclusiveness without saying any words,” he said.

- See more at: http://www.thegailygrind.com/2016/01....x6aX0vmZ.dpuf
I'm really proud of these guys and particularly Andrew Ference for continued LGBTQ Edmonton support & spear heading this campaign for supporting all people in their community.

Quote:
NHL’s Andrew Ference Helps Launch Rainbow Tape To Support Young LGBT Hockey Players
"Let's show EVERY player they're welcome on the ice," says the NHL's Andrew Ference.

by Jon Adams 12/23/2015

A new campaign is encouraging LGBT hockey players to stay on the ice.

Pride Tape, rainbow-colored strips that hockey players can decorate their sticks with, is intended for LGBT athletes and allies alike to show their support.

“[It’s] a badge of support to LGBT youth, to say ’you’re welcome in our sporting communities,'” Kris Wells, director of the Institute for the Sexual Minority Studies and Services at the University of Alabama, told CBC.

“This is a way to signal you’re an ally without having to actually say anything.”

“Some kids just stop playing the game they love, just because they’re gay,” says the Edmonton Oilers’ Andrew Ference in the clip below. “Let’s show EVERY player they’re welcome on the ice.”

The Pride Tape campaign’s Kickstarter page has garnered 133 backers already, totaling $6,000 to date.

The goal is to get $39,386 in donations by February 4, in order to manufacture and distribute 10,000 rolls of tape.

http://www.newnownext.com/nhls-andre...ayers/12/2015/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...deep-1.3418453

Last edited by SaskScraper; Jan 27, 2016 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
Gay life exists outside the holy trinity of Toronto-Montreal-Vancouver?
It certainly does but just like everything else it gets little media coverage.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 2:54 PM

Quote:

That's a win, good sir.

On a more serious note... What are everyone's thoughts on Grindr, etc? I've deleted my profile months ago, because the whole casual hookup scene has gotten really old, really fast. I feel like there's a backlash among my gay friends as well. High time IMO.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:09 AM
I am a typical

A straight friend of mine created a grindr account as a joke, and was almost instantly bombarded with dick pics and requests for sex. He got scared and deleted it. I asked him, "What did you expect?" and he said he wasn't sure.

I don't use it, it's too weird.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
A straight friend of mine created a grindr account as a joke, and was almost instantly bombarded with dick pics and requests for sex. He got scared and deleted it. I asked him, "What did you expect?" and he said he wasn't sure.

I don't use it, it's too weird.
Ya... I know how girls feel on Tinder now No wonder nobody can get dates on that thing.. Men are gross

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada