HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:29 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
How on earth can Google suddenly need that many employees? I mean, these numbers are like automobile assembly plants from the 1920s.

If they ever develop efficiencies or figure out a way to export these jobs to India, there is going to be a HUGE collapse
They're expanding a lot right now. They just took all of a 500,000+ square foot tower in Austin and put their logo on it, and there's a rumor they're taking another 500,000+ square feet of another tower planned across from that one. And Apple just announced a billion campus here as well. And then there's the Amazon project. It seems like the tech field right now is expanding in nearly every area.

By the way, it's interesting what a billion dollars gets you in New York. That sure doesn't look like a billion dollar campus.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
How on earth can Google suddenly need that many employees? I mean, these numbers are like automobile assembly plants from the 1920s.

If they ever develop efficiencies or figure out a way to export these jobs to India, there is going to be a HUGE collapse
Even inflation adjusted Google makes a lot more in profit than any of the automakers ever did. Like any big company awash in cash they're adding a bunch of positions that might never pan out.

They're also expanding more and more into the enterprise services space, which takes loads of sales and support folks. Most of their NYC office (the only two US markets where the majority of their work is not sales/services are the Bay Area and Seattle) is this type of work. Now, a lot of these roles are "programmer" roles, but they're things like "sales engineer" or "solutions architect" rather than someone building the next version of Maps.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:44 AM

^ lets not mislead people, Google is absolutely nowhere near the size of any of the big automakers (like not even close) nor do they employ a fraction of the number of people, and they don't feed massive supply chains. Even just Audi alone is twice the size of Google.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
^ lets not mislead people, Google is absolutely nowhere near the size of any of the big automakers (like not even close) nor do they employ a fraction of the number of people, and they don't feed massive supply chains. Even just Audi alone is twice the size of Google.
I said profit. I have no idea what measure you’re using.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:06 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Not just profits either. Google is the 4th most valuable country in the world and either 1st or 2nd as far as powerful global brands go.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:36 AM

Quote:
lol it's this thing called revenue, not sure if you've heard of it.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:13 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
But Google ranks 22nd in the Fortune 500, which is based on revenue-Higher than Bank of America, Boeing, Microsoft, the Home Depot, Pepsi, IBM etc.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
But Google ranks 22nd in the Fortune 500, which is based on revenue-Higher than Bank of America, Boeing, Microsoft, the Home Depot, Pepsi, IBM etc.
Revenue is a pretty meaningless metric however. It’s impossible to compare against different business models with different margins (or especially between ‘industrials’ and banks).

E.g., in Google’s business they create revenue by using their IP, the labor of their employees, and some small percentage of that revenue that it costs them to operate data centers. Software company gross margins are normally 80-90%. In Wal-Mart’s business, they create revenue by buying a thing for $1 and selling it for $1.20 (and then subtracting all the costs for marketing, labor, warehousing and distribution, etc). Most of it is just “pass-through” and the real value added by the business, before operating expenses, is arguably 20 cents rather than the $1.20 reported as revenue.

The only reason Fortune uses it is because it is more readily available or easily estimated for private companies.

Headcount is also pretty meaningless. Obviously 1,000 programmers or financial analysts earning $100k+ are more important to a local economy than 1,000 retail clerks or warehouse packers.

If you want to compare the economic impact of businesses, then some combination of profits, total wages/salaries, and investment (capex and R&D) would capture most of the benefits accruing to most stakeholders (owners, employees and the company’s own capital stock).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:43 PM

So in total, that means Google is expanding its footprint in NYC to 6.75 million square feet. And 14,000 employees.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/17/t...rk-campus.html

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Revenue, in 2017:
Google $110.9 billion
Audi €60.1 billion

Number of employees:
Google - 85,050
Audi - 91,231

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Revenue is a pretty meaningless metric however. It’s impossible to compare against different business models with different margins (or especially between ‘industrials’ and banks).
Revenue is the most meaningful metric when gauging the actual size and importance of a company. (although I agree it doesn't paint a full picture) Valuation tells you nothing about a company's size and how many people they employ, most of it is speculation. Google could have their value cut in half tomorrow and it could still be the exact same company.

There's a reason why every large developed country has a domestic auto industry, it's an absolutely massive wealth generator.

Last edited by The North One; Dec 18, 2018 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Revenue, in 2017:
Google $110.9 billion
Audi €60.1 billion

Number of employees:
Google - 85,050
Audi - 91,231
That's Alphabet, which is an umbrella company, not Google.

Volkswagen's revenue is at 262.2 billion in US dollars.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
You're wrong, revenue is the most meaningful metric when gauging the actual size and importance of a company. Valuation tells you nothing about a company's size and how many people they employ, most of it is speculation. Google could have their value cut in half tomorrow and it could still be the exact same company.

There's a reason why every large developed country has a domestic auto industry, it's an absolutely massive wealth generator.
He didn't say valuation...

Revenue tells you nothing about how cash flows are passed through the company into the local economy. I'd bet that much more of each dollar earned at Google is paid to employees (and taxed) or spent on R&D than GM can claim.

By your logic, Saudi Aramco is the most "important" company in the world, despite the fact they employ 10% of the people Volkwagen does and exist primarily to fund the royal family.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:47 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
That's Alphabet, which is an umbrella company, not Google.

Volkswagen's revenue is at 262.2 billion in US dollars.
But Google is the largest subsidiary of Alphabet, so the overwhelming majority of revenue comes from Google.

Your statement was "Audi alone is twice the size of Google". If you had said the Volkswagen Group is twice the size of Google, then that would be more accurate.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
But Google is the largest subsidiary of Alphabet, so the overwhelming majority of revenue comes from Google.

Your statement was "Audi alone is twice the size of Google". If you had said the Volkswagen Group is twice the size of Google, then that would be more accurate.
I know I was wrong about Audi's revenue, sorry.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Revenue is the most meaningful metric when gauging the actual size and importance of a company. (although I agree it doesn't paint a full picture) Valuation tells you nothing about a company's size and how many people they employ, most of it is speculation. Google could have their value cut in half tomorrow and it could still be the exact same company.

No, it isn’t. It massively overstates the economic importance of retailers (or any distribution business).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:18 PM
BANNED

What is that hideous building on the far right of the rendering?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Why does everything have to be in New York
Because New York is awesome. Beast Mode.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:52 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
Because New York is awesome. Beast Mode.
Good old DeBlasio. Following in the footsteps of the Great Bloomberg. Two pro-development mayors with pro-development administrations.

This is what happens when the right folks are in office. Progress!

Hint hint... California... hint hint!

If your pro-growth, and don't allow the NIMBYS to overpower anything new, results occur. NY needs to continue to have those that seek to build upwards.

DeBlasio is trying, and a commendable effort in bringing affordable housing, but even than, it falls short to quell the housing demand. But... gotta give some credit.

The city is not without its issues. ITS NOT PERFECT, but trying. Effort goes a long way!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Revenue is the most meaningful metric when gauging the actual size and importance of a company. (although I agree it doesn't paint a full picture)
No, sorry. It shows you the biggest retail and extraction companies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions