HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Sky One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Rumour has it Richcraft wants to have Sherwood extended through Juliana Park to Prince of Wales, despite it being off the table.

As a resident of the area who cycles this route quite often I sure as hell hope that extension proposal is rejected. The park could use better programming, but running a lane for cars to go through would be quite bad. (The intersection is unpleasant enough).
is that city or ncc/federal land?

I agree that wouldnt be a good idea. If absolutely necessary, i'd prefer extending bayswater now that the sir john carling building is out of the way.

I'd assume the rationale would be reducing traffic on preston, therefore allowing them to assuage local resident's concerns about new density projects.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Rumour has it Richcraft wants to have Sherwood extended through Juliana Park to Prince of Wales, despite it being off the table.

As a resident of the area who cycles this route quite often I sure as hell hope that extension proposal is rejected. The park could use better programming, but running a lane for cars to go through would be quite bad. (The intersection is unpleasant enough).
Queen Juliana park is, in its current state, a useless chunk of grass. I didn't even know it was a park with that name until you posted this... and I work right next to it and walk by it every day. I thought it was just a chunk of vacant land... Definitely needs programming and an actual use, otherwise they might as well sell it off for development.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:21 AM

it's main purpose is as a pedestrian/cycling link to the arboretum.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
it's main purpose is as a pedestrian/cycling link to the arboretum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Queen Juliana park is, in its current state, a useless chunk of grass. I didn't even know it was a park with that name until you posted this... and I work right next to it and walk by it every day. I thought it was just a chunk of vacant land... Definitely needs programming and an actual use, otherwise they might as well sell it off for development.
Do you work in one of the Post-modern office buildings across from it?

The hilly aspect is fun to cycle around or to laze in. But it does have some programming ever now and again. There are some festivals or a mini carnival that was hosted there last summer. It could use more programming, but it is used heavily by pedestrians and cyclists, and as a dog park/ occasional sports field for people kicking the ball.

As much as I thought I would be open to it being partially developed, I'm not sure anymore. I certainly don't want to see a road put through it, but I think it'll be a nice space for all the people moving into the highrises going up adjacent to it. Once Soho is done, students move into the towers behind it and Dow-Honda/ Icon are complete I'm sure more people will spend time there.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Do you work in one of the Post-modern office buildings across from it?
I work just up the hill in the KW Neatby building.

They definitely should add more to it. I'm not a fan of parks that are just big lawns.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:41 AM
National Capital Region

Queen Juliana Park is PWGSC future development lands. 15-20 storey buildings are planned, although the city will require some park space/an urban square in the design when the property is redeveloped Here is a comment from a recent city report:

Quote:
The property located west of the O-Train south of Carling Avenue, known by
some residents as Queen Juliana Park, is neither a municipal nor a National
Capital Commission park in land use terms. The property is owned by the
Federal Government. It was used as a war time facility until early 1970s. It is
designated Mixed-Use Centre in the Official Plan and is identified as part of the
Station Area in the Strategic Directions. The Secondary Plan follows the
Strategic Directions and clarifies and fine tunes the height provisions for the site.
The Secondary Plan’s public realm policy requires the provision of a park/urban
square when development occurs.
more reports here
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdoc...&itemid=317688

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:55 PM

Why would we extend Sherwood to POW when people can take the O-train or Carling bus system (whose frequency would be upped once the high rises are complete) to work or play. Where do this cars need to go that are coming down Sherwood and why are they there in the first place? Hate the idea.
Also you cannot extend Bayswater...there is a building beside the old Carling building that is basically new. It was a cafeteria/meeting room area for the Carling building. It's still there and will be re-purposed once the removal of the Carling building is complete.
Enough people already cut through the Farm via Maple to get to POW. Why encourage this more with a new road.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:26 PM
National Capital Region

Recommended for approval by committee, also it has a new name

‏@mpearson78 7m7 minutes ago
Richcraft says it will call 3-bldg plan for 845 Carling, which #planning cmte just approved, The Sky. #ottnews #ottpoli

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:41 PM

Quote:

That's just an out of date reference, as it turns out:

Quote:
Sherwood "extension" clarification You are hereHome / Sherwood "extension" clarification
Tomorrow at Planning Committee, we’ll consider approval of the Richcraft proposal for the Dow Honda site on Carling Avenue.

As part of the process, City staff have prepared a report that recommends approval of the building. In that report, staff have referred to a recommendation made by the developer to consider extending Sherwood Avenue through the Queen Juliana Park to Prince of Wales Drive.

This is an old proposal. The Civic Hospital community fought long and hard to have that taken off the table, and the Community Design Plan and related transportation document for the area specifically says that the extension is not something the City will pursue.

Reference to this proposal in the report has many worried that the City may be considering studying such a link in future. I share those concerns. Some residents have also raised the possibility that the Hickory Street bridge may be expanded to accommodate vehicle traffic.

To ensure that we are all on the same page, I’ve asked for clarification from the planners that while the applicant may consider such a link a good idea, there has to be recognition that the option has been explicitly taken off the table.

That clarification is below, and will be made a part of the record of this approvals process:

Planning Committee Chair Harder,

On behalf of the Planning and Growth Management Department, I want to provide the following clarifications for you, for distribution as required, regarding questions raised about the staff report for the rezoning application at 845 Carling Avenue on tomorrow’s Planning Committee agenda.

1. Sherwood Avenue: In the staff report, we reference options to alleviate potential increases in traffic volumes from the subject proposal in the Preston-Carling area, as provided by the applicant’s consultant in their community transportation study prepared for the proposal. One of the consultant’s recommendations is the possible extension of Sherwood Avenue, south through the lands owned by the Federal Government, to Prince of Wales Drive. While the report notes that the consultant’s study indicates that the City should consider this, and while the report also speaks, in general terms, to studying this matter if and when there is an actual proposal for the Public Works and Government Services Canada lands, our report makes no recommendation for this link. The Preston-Carling Public Realm and Mobility Study, which is Appendix A to the Preston-Carling Secondary Plan, states that this consideration will not be advanced.

2. Bridges: With respect to bridge crossings over the O-Train corridor, there is no reference in the staff report to an additional bridge crossing resulting from this proposal, whether for vehicles or pedestrians. The only reference in the the report to a bridge is the Council-approved Hickory Street bridge, which is designed to be built solely as a pedestrian and cycling bridge. The reference in the report to this bridge is in relation to Section 37 public benefit funds being provided by the developer towards its construction.

http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/s...-clarification

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:14 PM

coupla tweets with flashy ground-level renders from across the lake:
https://twitter.com/alistairsteele/s...69568546148352
https://twitter.com/alistairsteele/s...67471729721344

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Queen Juliana park is, in its current state, a useless chunk of grass.
The vast majority of Ottawa's sacred, precious publicopengreenspaces are useless chunks of grass.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 1:29 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Take to The Sky: Planning committee OKs Ottawa's tallest building

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 10, 2015, Last Updated: February 10, 2015 5:40 PM EST

The city’s planning committee has unanimously approved a proposal to build Ottawa’s tallest building, but it will be years before anyone actually moves into The Sky.

That’s the lofty name Richcraft has given the trio of towers it wants to build at 845 Carling Ave., just west of tPreston Street. The tallest, at 55 storeys, will soar over Dow’s Lake and Little Italy, as will a second tower at 45 storeys. A third tower is slated to be 18 storeys.

“It really raises the bar on where Ottawa is going,” said committee chair Jan Harder following Tuesday’s meeting.

Designed by Toronto architects Graziani and Corazza, the project would have a total of 1,120 units, ground floor commercial space, and a large plaza that would be accessible to the public.

If council ultimately backs the committee’s decisions, the entire property will be zoned mixed use centre, opening the door for the developer to consider offices or a hotel, in addition to residential units.

But the project’s completion is still some years away, said Richcraft chief executive Steve Grandmont.

“With that magnitude of a project, we’re going to make sure we’re doing our homework before we go out on the market,” he said.

Ottawa’s condo market is soft these days, so the developer will take its time and assess how many units are on the market in that area. Grandmont couldn’t provide a concrete date for when construction might begin, but said something will likely be coming out of the ground or at least be released to the public for pre-sale by 2020.

Richcraft has been working for three years to get to this stage and Grandmont said he anticipates the site plan process will also be lengthy.

In exchange for allowing the added height and density beyond levels permitted by the current zoning, the city will receive nearly $3.4 million from the developer for “community benefits,” such as redesigning portions of nearby Adeline and Sidney streets, burying hydro lines, incorporating access to the O-Train station at Carling and contributing to the construction of the Hickory Street bridge — all projects in the neighbourhood.

These funds, indexed to inflation, would not flow to the city until a site plan or building permit is issued, the committee heard.

The Dalhousie Community Association called the proposal a “vertical subdivision” and urged the committee to try to renegotiate the community benefits the ward is poised to receive.

Both the group and Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney questioned whether buried hydro lines amount to a community benefit in the same way public amenities, such as parks, libraries, or community and recreation centres, would.

The committee also heard concerns about using nearby side streets Adeline and Sidney streets as the main vehicle entries and exits.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...llest-building

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:56 PM

Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming! Congrats to Richcraft. Let's hope the condo market picks up soon so all three Sky phases can get off the ground. (In the meantime, looking forward to the Icon, Ottawa's tallest and soon second-tallest buidling.)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 6:15 PM

I'm surprised there hasn't been worse NIMBYism over these proposals.

"It's too tall, it'll hide the sun..."
"They'll overshadow the precious tulips!"

Anyways, glad they're going through!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:29 PM

Reading the comments section in that Sun article makes the people of Ottawa look like a bunch of town folk who are allergic to tall buildings.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:59 PM

Sun article comments are an interesting experience. Certainly not representative of the city as a whole.. pretty confined to the old grouch type. I check them out every once in a while for a laugh. I find it interesting how, for example, everyone there are all anti-Confederation Line even though 75% of the city's population is happy about it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:14 PM

on the CBC piece on this project yesterday, the reporter suggested that depending on market demand, they may only start in 2020.
Thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:23 PM

^^^ they also say 2020 in Rocketphish's post (#252) above..

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Sun article comments are an interesting experience. Certainly not representative of the city as a whole.. pretty confined to the old grouch type. I check them out every once in a while for a laugh. I find it interesting how, for example, everyone there are all anti-Confederation Line even though 75% of the city's population is happy about it.
You mean this article? They used the wrong renderings, identified the towers as 48-stories under the image, but their article says two 45-storey towers... Someone's not good at reporting!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:34 AM

Quote:
You mean this article? They used the wrong renderings, identified the towers as 48-stories under the image, but their article says two 45-storey towers... Someone's not good at reporting!
I noticed this as well..and cringed when I saw these render in the paper version of The Sun today. Jon Willing is usually pretty good but this article is a sham.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa