HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 1:32 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

COV has issued a RFP to examine the different options of the link from Georgia St To Pacific Blvd. This is one of the projects I'm most looking forward in the next few years.

http://vancouver.ca/fs/bid/bidopp/RF...8230-Final.pdf

2.1 Background
City Council approved Terms of Reference for the Northeast False Creek High Level Review, which calls for a pedestrian and cycling link between West Georgia Street and Pacific Boulevard. The proposed alignment of the link is along the east side of BC Place Stadium, allowing a pedestrian and cycling connection from the southeast intersection of Beatty Street and Georgia Street to Pacific Boulevard including the potential for an overpass to the south side of Pacific Boulevard. The limits of conceptual design are from the southeast corner of Beatty Street and Georgia Street to the south side of Pacific Boulevard

The general concept is, at a minimum, a major downtown pedestrian link with urban design considerations that create a strong connection between the Northeast False Creek Neighbourhood and the downtown core.
A service life for the proposed link of at least 75 years will be required.

2.3Purpose
The purpose of the study to be undertaken by the proponent is to prepare design options for three different types of connections (set out below), along with the respective costs of each option, that will inform a decision on a final design for this important public place at the eastern terminus of Georgia Street, Vancouver’s Ceremonial Boulevard.
a)The designs are to:
i) Provide an attractive and inviting experience that will draw pedestrians to and through the space, and
ii) Create a series of gracious public spaces through a sequence of levels that connect streets, building entrances and concourses.

The Consultant(s) will:
a)With advice from City staff, identify and document with maps existing and potential pedestrian, bike and barrier free networks in the area that connect the downtown to the Northeast False Creek neighbourhood;
b)Prepare urban design principles that should guide creation of conceptual designs for the pedestrian link. Including consideration of:
i) Adjacent existing and future land uses;
ii) Connectivity to adjacent buildings/properties, including BC Place, GM Place, pedestrian routes, public transit etc. Documented with maps indicating pedestrian desire lines;
iii) Event crowd dispersal, including way-finding;
iv) Sun exposure and weather protection;
v) Views;
vii) Public art and water features; and
viii) Seating opportunities;
c) Meet with the BC Pavilion Corporation (PavCo), and/or their Consultants, to review the recently completed work on exiting requirements, the plans for upgrading the stadium and initial design for a tower on the Southeast corner of the stadium site;
d) Determine the grade change between Georgia Street and Pacific Boulevard and provide options for the footprints required to achieve varying connection types:
i) A pedestrian connection;
ii) A pedestrian and barrier free connection; and
iii) A pedestrian, barrier free and bicycle connect

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 5:24 AM
senior something

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Plans/Pub...ay_Upgrade.asp

This link shows conceptual designs for an upgrade of the BC Parkway route (the one that follows the Expo Line from Trout Lake to Surrey).

My memory might be off, but wasnt there at one point an overpass over Boundary Rd along this route? I think they may have demolished it, which is funny, because they're proposing one again.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 7:53 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't see the overpass concept.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 10:47 PM

There is an overpass marked on the plans on the last map for the Vancouver sections, but it doesn't appear on the first map for the Burnaby sections - odd.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 10:52 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

They should bring in an overpass at Rupert as well, doesn't make sense to ride down a hill to get stuck at the light then have to start straight back up a hill.
There was an overpass there from when the train was still in effect, It wasn't taken down until after a truck slammed into it about 15years ago.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 12:20 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Interesting... well on the Burnaby one, it says it's a "future" project so I guess we won't be seeing that soon. I agree with jlousa, I think there should be on at Rupert. The hills are crazy... I was biking once and I had to make a stop at Rupert... then bike again back up another hill.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
So, when will they finally restore Cambie Bridge so that it has 2 lanes in both directions? Going southbound during any time of the day takes at least 10-20 minutes of crawling along to get past the missing part of the bridge.
not on a bike i can get from city hall to 1100 block of west pender and back in 20 minutes

Last edited by raggedy13; Jan 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added contextual quote from other thread

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 8:49 AM

Well some of us can't come to the office smelling of B.O and sporting giant sweat stains.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 8:55 AM

Its OK, today i drove from Maple Ridge to Metrotown in 20 minutes.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Well some of us can't come to the office smelling of B.O and sporting giant sweat stains.
perhaps if you rode more often you wouldn't get all sweaty after 20 minutes.

lol in reality i dont care what you do. everyone has choices to make and they do what works best for them. i just find it funny when people complain how long it takes to drive places. in a car. in the city. the answer should be obvious.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 9:36 PM

Well when someone invents a bike that can carry 3 cameras, 3 tripods, cables, my laptop plus other equipment all at the same time comfortably i will ride it, until then i will need my car on work outings.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 10:43 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well when someone invents a bike that can carry 3 cameras, 3 tripods, cables, my laptop plus other equipment all at the same time comfortably i will ride it, until then i will need my car on work outings.
Brian Campbell did: http://daviswiki.org/Human_Powered_Housing_Project

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 10:47 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA Wow, i wonder if that thing is safety tested?

Nothing wrong with bikes, but i just wish that they obeyed traffic laws. You can always tell the difference between an out of city cyclists and a Vancouver grown cyclists. The out of city one (usually from Europe) understands that bikes are considered vehicles and must obey all traffic signs and lane markings just like cars and trucks. The Vancouver grown cyclist is usually no different than the arrogant prick who drives his car like an asshole, for they run red lights, cut off pedestrians, perform unsafe maneuvers etc... Cyclists and cars can exist on the same downtown streets, but only if both sides are respectful.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:21 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA Wow, i wonder if that thing is safety tested?

Nothing wrong with bikes, but i just wish that they obeyed traffic laws. You can always tell the difference between an out of city cyclists and a Vancouver grown cyclists. The out of city one (usually from Europe) understands that bikes are considered vehicles and must obey all traffic signs and lane markings just like cars and trucks. The Vancouver grown cyclist is usually no different than the arrogant prick who drives his car like an asshole, for they run red lights, cut off pedestrians, perform unsafe maneuvers etc... Cyclists and cars can exist on the same downtown streets, but only if both sides are respectful.
And I thought that I was the only one noticing this!!!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:33 AM

^^ Add me as a +1.
As a driver:
I almost killed some guy when he went through a stop sign and directly in front of me (Ontario @ 16th, I was going down 16th). Thankfully, I did manage to see him (he was wearing all black and it was 6 in the morning) and swerve into the other lane. Then he just pretended like nothing happened and stood there for a while in front of me (kept looking forward and didn't move).

As a pedestrian:
Got hit this year walking on the Cambie bridge (on the far right side beside the railing) when some idiot was doing 70 and weaving through people and lost control.

As a bike rider:
People doing crazy speeds going over Burrard bridge and yell at you for not going 80km/h where the speed limit is like 30 (or whatever is posted on the bridge). Or 3 people riding side by side and oblivious to anybody wanting to pass them.

So I would have to agree, Vancouver bike riders are rude and arrogant for the most part. Police really need to crack down on them hard (especially for riding on sidewalks and not obeying stop signs/signals)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 2:02 AM

bicyclists think they are above everyone else

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 3:44 AM

Same here, I'm just happy I don't work downtown, although the Commercial & 12 area is still bad for dumb bike riders. Heck the rare time I see a bike rider in Surrey, it is some crackhead towing a trailer of metal to a scrapper.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
bicyclists think they are above everyone else
I wouldn't be so quick to pick on one group. I split my travel almost 33% each in driving, cycling and using transit. There are numerous jerks and assholes among all three groups, and they span all ages and backgrounds.

I'd love to see the police ticket far more for traffic infractions like dangerous driving, running lights, changing lanes/turning without signals (this one kills me), no helmets for cycling, etc.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to pick on one group. I split my travel almost 33% each in driving, cycling and using transit. There are numerous jerks and assholes among all three groups, and they span all ages and backgrounds.

I'd love to see the police ticket far more for traffic infractions like dangerous driving, running lights, changing lanes/turning without signals (this one kills me), no helmets for cycling, etc.
i don't want to generalize - most are ok and "share the road" but so many here think they are better than people in cars - if they could drop the 'tude and obey the road rules it might be better

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 11:22 PM

As a cyclist I've been run off the road a couple of times times, both by taxi drivers. I've had a few near misses too. I never run stop signs, red lights, obey traffic rules, etc. There was this one time on the Ontario bike route where I stopped for a stop sign and a guy flew past me screaming @$$hole because he almost rear ended me.

As a pedestrian, I've almost been run over by a cyclists.

Bus drivers can be really aggressive but as a bus rider I really appreciate the drivers who can get me places super fast so as a driver I tend to expect them to make crazy sudden moves and just let them in.

*shrugs*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure