HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:36 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I think if there's one thing we all can agree on here, it's that people in Calgary are terrible at using long merge lanes to get up to speed BEFORE merging. 16th Avenue onto NB Deerfoot gives me freaking nightmares.
That, and people driving slow (or same speed) in the left lane makes Deerfoot so much more annoying than it should be.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:00 AM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I think if there's one thing we all can agree on here, it's that people in Calgary are terrible at using long merge lanes to get up to speed BEFORE merging. 16th Avenue onto NB Deerfoot gives me freaking nightmares.
I think that's something we can all agree on. Someone on this site (Sorry, forget who you are, my apologies) said it isn't speed that kills, it's speed differentials. Fuckin' A, bubba. I wish those idjits trying to merge onto Deerfoot doing 60kph would put their drivers license back in the crackerjack box and start taking the bus.

Sigh...nothing we can do about it. Those people will always be on the road and you just have to learn to adapt your own driving skills so that they don't kill you. For anyone who hasn't done so yet, I highly recommend a defensive driving course.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Doe View Post
. I wish those idjits trying to merge onto Deerfoot doing 60kph would put their drivers license back in the crackerjack box and start taking the bus.
I've seen someone merge into 100 km/h at 60 km/h pretty much as the dashed line started. They were going so slow, I was able to speed up and merge in ahead of them with car lengths to spare.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:23 AM
Ack Thptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolfire View Post
I've seen someone merge into 100 km/h at 60 km/h pretty much as the dashed line started. They were going so slow, I was able to speed up and merge in ahead of them with car lengths to spare.
Been there. Done that. The important thing to remember is do what's safe even if its not legal.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 5:14 AM

So here's a question regarding Sarcee and Shaganappi Trail.

I understand that there were plans to connect the two around the Bow Trail and 16th avenue area, thus creating a true N-S route for the western portion of the city. Both expressways appear to have their ROW built out to be a freeway route in the long term to support this. Also appears the original SW Ring Road route had this in mind as well when connecting with Sarcee at Glenmore Trail. However doing so would remove Edworthy Park plus the environmental issue of putting another commute bridge over the Bow River. (Don't think it's that big of a deal here but whatevs) So as I understand the city has dropped the plans to connect the two roads.

What I was curious about is it those two issues the only reasons for heavy opposition? Or was there more conflicts? I'm interested about this because if it doesn't get built, it leaves a big gap of N-S crossing of the Bow for vehicles, about 10kms from Stoney Trail to Crowchild Trail, and that's putting a lot of pressure on the latter in particular to deal with all those cars which has a rough time during rush hour currently.

I guess what I'm getting at is should the Shaganappi/Sarcee interchange, or some type of alternative get built to lower the demand on Crowchild and have a Bow crossing prior to 10kms away at Stoney? Or will it not ever really be that necessary?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:17 PM

My impression is that while it was on the plan for a long time, there wasn't a pressing need, and there wasn't any money. Later, it was removed off the official plan with nary a fuss (both the 'lower and slower Sarcee to Shag and the 'upper Sarcee to Sarcee connectors).

So, benign neglect?

Good map was dug up here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
New poster, thought I would post and say hello.

I came across this image. It's a 1968 plan showing a future projection for main roads in Calgary (projected to 1986) and thought it was interesting.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:31 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Everytime I see that map I cry a little. I am so glad much of it didn't get built.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:53 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
That, and people driving slow (or same speed) in the left lane makes Deerfoot so much more annoying than it should be.
That is one of the biggest problems on the roads right now. People driving slow on the left. It makes people do unsafe things to try and get by. Whe the heck are all of these people in the left lane going slow?? Why cant the city of Calgary have a commercial that runs every day outlining simple driving etiquette in Alberta. We have too many people from different provinces and countries that all have different driving styles. I remeber the good ol' days in Calgary when the left lane was for going just a little bit fater than everyone else.

And another thing......people going lower than the speed limit all over the city...what is that anyway? I can appreciate going really slow in dense urban areas, but not on roads like crowchild. I dont know how people can put up with the mess on the roads everyday.......

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 5:56 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
That is one of the biggest problems on the roads right now. People driving slow on the left. It makes people do unsafe things to try and get by. Whe the heck are all of these people in the left lane going slow??
Many reasons. Some (especially new) drivers are afraid of speed. Some feel it's their obligation to play "hall monitor" and keep other drivers slowed down. Some are just plain bad drivers, and have no idea about left lane rules.

Quote:
Why cant the city of Calgary have a commercial that runs every day outlining simple driving etiquette in Alberta.
Because we're too busy scaring people into believing that 10 km/h faster is the difference between a minor accident and a multiple-fatality crash. Seriously, there's a commercial out right now that basically says this.

Quote:
And another thing......people going lower than the speed limit all over the city...what is that anyway? I can appreciate going really slow in dense urban areas, but not on roads like crowchild. I dont know how people can put up with the mess on the roads everyday.......
Crowchild generally goes a lot faster than posted, and then CPS starts a massive enforcement campaign that slows everyone down for months. It just kicked off this weekend (or so it seemed, I saw radar traps everywhere) and by Sunday everyone was doing 70, *maybe* 80 in the left lane.

Calgary (the City, CPS, and drivers) needs to realize it's a big city now and seriously re-think our roads. Deerfoot is a freeway. Stoney is a freeway. Crowchild is an expressway, which is pretty much a freeway for much of its length. "Slower traffic keep right" signs are required, proper public education is required, and the City/CPS have to stop thinking it's still 1960. People will and should drive faster in the left lane(s), and they have to learn to deal with that. If people drove like this in Toronto, the 401 would grind to a halt. Plus you'd have dozens of fatalities every day.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 6:28 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Many reasons. Some (especially new) drivers are afraid of speed. Some feel it's their obligation to play "hall monitor" and keep other drivers slowed down. Some are just plain bad drivers, and have no idea about left lane rules.

Because we're too busy scaring people into believing that 10 km/h faster is the difference between a minor accident and a multiple-fatality crash. Seriously, there's a commercial out right now that basically says this.

Crowchild generally goes a lot faster than posted, and then CPS starts a massive enforcement campaign that slows everyone down for months. It just kicked off this weekend (or so it seemed, I saw radar traps everywhere) and by Sunday everyone was doing 70, *maybe* 80 in the left lane.

Calgary (the City, CPS, and drivers) needs to realize it's a big city now and seriously re-think our roads. Deerfoot is a freeway. Stoney is a freeway. Crowchild is an expressway, which is pretty much a freeway for much of its length. "Slower traffic keep right" signs are required, proper public education is required, and the City/CPS have to stop thinking it's still 1960. People will and should drive faster in the left lane(s), and they have to learn to deal with that. If people drove like this in Toronto, the 401 would grind to a halt. Plus you'd have dozens of fatalities every day.
grrrrr......"hall monitors"...... The causes of most collisions on roads.....

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 6:33 PM
Realtor

Deerfoot is getting some paint, but not the right kind. This cheap stuff will wear off quickly.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 7:27 PM
cow orker

Quote:
"Slower traffic keep right" signs are required, proper public education is required, and the City/CPS have to stop thinking it's still 1960. People will and should drive faster in the left lane(s), and they have to learn to deal with that. If people drove like this in Toronto, the 401 would grind to a halt. Plus you'd have dozens of fatalities every day.
I wonder if the background colour of the Slower Traffic Keep Right signs indicates it's a law to obey? Speed limit signs are on a white background, and the Law. "Caution 40 Ramp" signs are on a yellow background, and just a suggestion.

Maybe there's somewhere in the Law that could be enforced on these assholes disciplining everyone else by driving like ninnies in the Left?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 7:34 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocle View Post
I wonder if the background colour of the Slower Traffic Keep Right signs indicates it's a law to obey? Speed limit signs are on a white background, and the Law. "Caution 40 Ramp" signs are on a yellow background, and just a suggestion.

Maybe there's somewhere in the Law that could be enforced on these assholes disciplining everyone else by driving like ninnies in the Left?
They just need more of them. They are on a white background.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocle View Post
How true is this? A fair bit OT, but every time I drive through Saskatchewan I see these "Important Intersection, 80 km/h" signs. They're yellow so I'm not sure if that's enforced or a suggestion. I generally slow down (even when no traffic is anywhere in sight, which is most common) because I don't relish the thought of a ticket for going 40 over the limit. But I've always been curious.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:27 PM
Here and There

Quote:
How true is this? A fair bit OT, but every time I drive through Saskatchewan I see these "Important Intersection, 80 km/h" signs. They're yellow so I'm not sure if that's enforced or a suggestion. I generally slow down (even when no traffic is anywhere in sight, which is most common) because I don't relish the thought of a ticket for going 40 over the limit. But I've always been curious.
Uh oh............. Freeweed needs some driver training! Yellow is suggested, but I follow those yellow signs religiously in the winter in the mountains. They are the perfect speed on snowy conditions usually.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 9:15 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Uh oh............. Freeweed needs some driver training! Yellow is suggested, but I follow those yellow signs religiously in the winter in the mountains. They are the perfect speed on snowy conditions usually.
Oddly enough, I didn't take driver training in SK.

It's the only place I've ever seen "advisory" signs on a straight section of road, so I've always wondered if their HTA has some sort of special wrinkle for these, or if they're just like all other yellow signs. Contrary to "common knowledge", there are all sorts of non-standard signage and enforcement issues between traffic jurisdictions, as very little of this is mandated at a federal level. The US is notorious for this (have fun figuring out whether you need to enter or clear an intersection before a light turns red, for example - it varies by state).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 9:22 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
Deerfoot is getting some paint, but not the right kind. This cheap stuff will wear off quickly.
Funny you mention that, I was just noticing this morning how parts of edmonton trail have no lines at all, completely worn off.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 9:53 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:

It's the only place I've ever seen "advisory" signs on a straight section of road, so I've always wondered if their HTA has some sort of special wrinkle for these, or if they're just like all other yellow signs. Contrary to "common knowledge", there are all sorts of non-standard signage and enforcement issues between traffic jurisdictions, as very little of this is mandated at a federal level. The US is notorious for this (have fun figuring out whether you need to enter or clear an intersection before a light turns red, for example - it varies by state).
There's an oxymoron if there ever was one.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 4:22 PM

Quote:

Sign colors when it comes to regulatory signage is standard across Canada. Yellow is always advisory and not enforced. White is regulatory and enforced. Green is guidance, blue is tourism. Brown is the out of date tourism.

Regulatory signage has to be in law itself, so you cannot just put whatever you want on a white sign to make it enforcable. Creating new regulatory signage is a huge pain in the ass (it took quite some time for the speed fines double in work zones thing to come into law). Advisory signage however can say whatever they want. Hence the "SLOW DOWN NOW!" sign at the ramp from Deerfoot onto WB 17th/Blackfoot.

I never slow down to 80 at "important" intersections in SK except when I see a vehicle on the cross road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
I think they're temporary. The durable paint markings are working where they installed them before, but they needed something done quick as the winter did not do well for the old paint markings.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 9:17 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Renderings of the New 52nd Street SE Bridge over the irrigation canal and CP tracks. This will be under construction starting this summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure