HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Do u think 6th Ave should b closed fully 4 a year or partially 4 more than a year?
Closed fully 57 80.28%
Closed partially 6 8.45%
A combination of the above. 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Combination: limit full closure to off peak hours and summer. No way can downtown function with one of its two westbound roads out of service.
When the road is excavated 4 levels down, you can't re-open it during peak hours. I don't think there is a combination option available. It is either dig the entire pit in one shot, or dig half of it at a time.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I say close it down, followed by a plea for better spelling. Took me a second to figure out just what the question was asking. We all have broadband now, we can handle those extra letters!
Sorry freeweed, when I tried to type the whole question in the space provided, it wouldn't allow me to finish so I had to shorten it up. I apologize for the confusion (it was my first time posting a new thread and a poll).

SurrealPlaces, a combination would be to close it off fully during the night hours but have it partially open during the daytime.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
Snarkotron

Partial Closures are an engineers' worst nightmare. There is no reasonable way to do such a thing, and it would add significant cost and time to the project.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 11:23 PM

Could another alternative be to build the 6th Avenue portion last and only allow a short (ex. 4 month) window for full closure?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 11:33 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

the Centre Street Bridge was closed down for just over a year during 1999 for renovations. the city survived the whole ordeal. so why can we not survive having a closure on 6 avenue? espeically considering the end result

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 11:52 PM

REally though it will all depend on the construction schedule....if weather permits things can move fast but if you get a nasty winter, lets say, it can delay for much longer. So to say for a full year...could potentially mean more than a full year. Partial closure could be longer and may cause more extreme backups versus permanent closure and re-routing traffic to disturb the build process as little as possible so it can move quickly. Those are just my quick thoughts. No matter what there will be delays and if they say 1 year plan for more than that.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 12:05 AM

I voted fully closed. May as well just get it over with.
What about 24 hour construction? What are the construction rules regarding hours, noise etc? 24 hour construction would mean it would go up even faster, and being right in the core, the noise level affecting the residential buildings might be lessened.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 12:17 AM

I'd imagine in the core, especially that area, 24 hour construction won't be an issue since there isn't really any residential anywhere near. I'm expecting them to request permission to do 24 hour construction if there is a regulation against it for that area when they file for the DP. Thats really the only way that I can see it being done at a rather good pace, we were all expecting it to take about a year to go down and get back to grade anyways, but if they split it into 2 parts it will add time and thats the only real feasable way to keep it on pace. Disadvantage to that is the premium pay for night work that will be in effect, but its probably a tradeoff they will need to take.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 12:26 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
An excellent idea. Now if only people would embrace this idea without being faced with a possible closure. Imagine if 1/2 the companies downtown staggered their hours, it would solve a lot of the current issues with capacity downtown.

On the other hand, DT becomes less of a 9-5 kinda core.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 1:49 AM

Only issue with 24 hour is the added costs of labour at after hours.....therefore the costs of construction would definitely go up....and in our current market projects are already suffering to rising costs. I think in the case of Encana that they would want to avoid losing any elements of design. I'm sure they are well above what they had planned or anticipated to spend.
If they do go with a steel strucutre it could potentially go up quick quick compared to a concrete structure just for the simple fact of not having to wait on curing times.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 2:08 AM
The Republic of Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I think theres a few options missing from the poll such as "Who cares"
"yawn"
"a combination of both who cares and yawn"
You might think it's a yawner, because Edmonton has never had to shut down a major downtown artery for a massive office tower contruction project.

Perhaps some day Feepa...some day.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 2:36 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
You might think it's a yawner, because Edmonton has never had to shut down a major downtown artery for a massive office tower contruction project.

Perhaps some day Feepa...some day.
Doubt it!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:56 AM

I wonder if the Hyatt Hotel would have many objections to 24 hour construction. They are right next to the site.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:47 AM

Good point about the Hyatt. The sound to them would be buffered a bit, at least for the lower floors since the York is in the way between the two. I'd anticipate that if there was 24 hour construction it likely wouldn't be for the entire structure, just to get the parkade under 6th done.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:51 AM
Build'em high!

I could see 24 hour construction happening, but it may have to be toned down a bit after hours. Maybe they can do jobs that are quieter during the night.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 1:39 PM
arf

^And if you close it people will plan routes accordingly. Keeping it partially open just creates random havoc.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:33 PM
I am the law!

why don't they deck over the excavation site

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:01 PM

Full closure is the only option imo. A partial closure would make things worse, and as has been pouinted out Centre Street was closed for a year.

Keep in mind also that it's not the 6th bridge (over the bow river) that's closing. It's only a section of 6th ave. People can still use 9th ave or 3rd ave to get past the construction area. With centre street and Louise bridge closures, you had to find a completey different way to exit downtown.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:11 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin' View Post
why don't they deck over the excavation site
Because it'll be a full block wide and VERY deep. Not exactly easy to deck over.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:57 PM

Not to mention its 5 or 6 lanes wide. At 4 levels deep, plus the city's buffer, the pit will likely be a good 60' deep, and as chemist mentioned, probably close to a 2/3 of the block long (as there is a building on one side that isn't Encana owned, so the parkade will start to the west of it).

Last edited by mersar; Feb 7, 2007 at 6:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy