HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 5:28 AM

Did anyone notice who the first person was to jump out of the public meeting with negative, annoying rants in the minutes of the public meeting? Yes, that's right - Bev Miller. I was shocked that she didn't start from the beginning.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 6:15 AM

I don't understand any rational person who is worthy of being a human could find something to complain about renovating Fenwick tower...

Hell, even if they used the most crappy glass possible it would look better than what is there now. Parking? Underground TYVM. 3 floors of retail+ more. Ohh yeah bring it on, this will do great to make a central location for the south end.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 6:34 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Did anyone notice who the first person was to jump out of the public meeting with negative, annoying rants in the minutes of the public meeting? Yes, that's right - Bev Miller. I was shocked that she didn't start from the beginning.
She also opposed the building next door to Fenwick that eventually became James Place or whatever it's called now.

I really don't see this Fenwick renovation becoming controversial at all. Nobody is going to be upset about 10 storey buildings there and most will be happy to see the appearance of Fenwick improve. The new retail and townhouses will be a big plus and fixing what now looks like a big concrete pit will make the area much more attractive.

She's just a complainer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 6:27 PM
Closed account

I don't usually like to make blanket statements like this, but frankly, there is no bad to this project. None. Anyone who thinks this reno and additions will have any negative impact to the surrounding area has no conception of reality.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 2:27 PM

Anyone who complains about this project clearly hasn't lived here, lol.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Anyone who complains about this project clearly hasn't lived here, lol.
Agreed.

The place is improving, but is still terrifying to even walk by.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Agreed.

The place is improving, but is still terrifying to even walk by.
My apartment is actually fairly decent. Holy hell though, so much as a breeze runs across the building and it sounds like a monsoon.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 6:25 PM

I've never actually been in the apartment building, but I have shopped at the professional centre at the Shoppers (although I don't know if it's still there?).

The additional density and rework will make this area one of the key areas to live in, for the south end. Perfect location very close to SGR and with a grocerry store already there. Personally, I'd love to see the Sobeys redone with suites above, but that's just me.

This project also lends to my theory that the two or three streets adjacent to Fenwick (leading down to Barrington) that have a lot of older multi-residential will be the next growth area. If my estimates on the viewplanes are correct, I think most of this area is under VP 9 and 10; but with the change in grade can get between 7 to 9 (possibly 10) stories.

So I'd love to see the next step be a few of these older buildings taken down, the sites combined and better/newer 7 to 10 storey buildings go up. That would be an incredible increase in the density to this area.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I've never actually been in the apartment building, but I have shopped at the professional centre at the Shoppers (although I don't know if it's still there?).

The additional density and rework will make this area one of the key areas to live in, for the south end. Perfect location very close to SGR and with a grocerry store already there. Personally, I'd love to see the Sobeys redone with suites above, but that's just me.

This project also lends to my theory that the two or three streets adjacent to Fenwick (leading down to Barrington) that have a lot of older multi-residential will be the next growth area. If my estimates on the viewplanes are correct, I think most of this area is under VP 9 and 10; but with the change in grade can get between 7 to 9 (possibly 10) stories.

So I'd love to see the next step be a few of these older buildings taken down, the sites combined and better/newer 7 to 10 storey buildings go up. That would be an incredible increase in the density to this area.
Building on top of Sobey's would actually be an interesting concept down the road.

It certainly is a big building and in a prime location.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Building on top of Sobey's would actually be an interesting concept down the road.

It certainly is a big building and in a prime location.
And if memory serves, it's the only part of the area below Fenwick that isn't cast in a viewplane because certainly the Tobin, Kent and Green Streets (which I referred too earlier) all fall in VP 9 and 10.

I've always agreed with Dj's comment that the two should be combined - I like the idea (since they basically do the same thing) and have just one wide viewplane but increase the geodetic heights slightly so that this area could achieve 10 stories and perhaps in doing so allowing the parking lots to get one or two more floors.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 3:28 PM

Im really excited about the project!! I large development with a pedestrian only mall running through the middle of it. Im interested to see what kind of space the retail atrium will be. Hopefully not a big white room with a glass dome (boring). Still it will be nice to actually have somewhere to go into rather than just a big building protected by fob scanners and surrounded by streets.

I just have a few issues. I dont really like the curved roof top of the new tower, Regardless of what its function is, its just really awkward looking. Like I said the atrium is good but the rest of "fenwick passage" being an outdoor arcade doesn't seem like a logical idea in a place where it is cold most of the year. It should be a trendy retro looking indoor mall lined with artwork and fountains, Climate controlled all year round making it a valuable short cut in the winter time. When moving around down town I tend to go through scotia square the WTCC and other skyways and tunnels because they are warm and slush free. With that in mind, connections to the other existing buildings like the medical arts building and apartments would be favorable because these buildings would act as anchors for this new arcade and make it convenient to move around for residents. Perhaps even a tunnel/skyway going over the street to Sobies? (putting more apartments on top of Sobies sounds cool too)

Having all these outdoor spaces may sound nice and look like a good idea when you see these renderings of the project depicted during a perfect sunny summer day but take a look outside now... Do you really want to be walking through a slushy windswept shopping arcade in this weather? I dont. when you get to the reality of things its just not sensible!! …Maybe if this was California or Florida

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 8:23 PM

This was the only area that I got too without my camera while I was home. But I took a walk around fenwick tower and the little side streets going down to Barrington and all around there.

Lots of great old homes being restored and turned into multi-unit buildings and lots of opportunity sites along Green, Tobin, Green, Smith, Victoria, Bland and Lucknow where some of the old multi-residential building sites could be combined and new taller buildings could go up. There have been a few in recent years, which is a good start and this project (if approved) will probably turn this area into another 'in' part of the City. When that happens, I suspect you'll see a lot more new multi's going up to replace the old ones.

I believe with the viewplanes (and based on recently constructed buildings) those on the hill down to Barrington Street would be limited to about 5 to 7 stories - but that's a perfectly fine height for this area. Just enough to get a good number of units.

I suspect that despite some parts of the project which might be questionable to some, this will end up being a major catalyst for redevelopment in the area. That sobeys is going to need to grow, big time.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 12:12 AM

First reading approved

First reading of the MPS amendments for Fenwick were approved tonight.
The report can be seen on tonight's agenda here.

The report indicates that it's not only the MPS amendments; but the Development agreement as well.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:26 PM

Set your calenders;

The MPS/LUB Ammendments are going forward to Public Hearing at PCC on February 1st, 2011.

As per normal the development agreement is attached but will be considered by PCC at another Public Hearing following the approvement of the before-mentioned ammendments.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:42 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Set your calenders;

The MPS/LUB Ammendments are going forward to Public Hearing at PCC on February 1st, 2011.

As per normal the development agreement is attached but will be considered by PCC at another Public Hearing following the approvement of the before-mentioned ammendments.
Ugh, this process is rediculous... it should all be done at once!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:48 PM

It is my understanding from the developer that it will all be done at once. On Feb 1st. The amendment and the development agreement. I will be there!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 10:18 PM

I just received this message on Facebook from Joe Metlege:

Public Hearing set for Feb 1st .. that's 3 weeks!!! this is the part where people show up to city hall and have the opportunity to speak for the project... we want to make sure everyone who wants to speak about the project, and let councillors know how you want them to vote (obviously in favour) this is your only chance.. send me a message if you need assistance making it down to city hall, we will have shuttles and drives available to anyone who wants to go and can't find a way..SPREAD THE WORD FEB 1 6:30 PM CITY HALL ON ARGYLE STREET...SHOW UP AND SUPPORT THIS PROJECT THAT'S BEEN IN THE WORKS FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS!!!

So anyone who wants to go and doesn't have a way down, let him know.
EDIT:
I sent him a quick message and here is a reply I got back to share with you guys:

I would really appreciate people ominous out and speaking in favor of the project, and then we can go out for a few celebration drinks afterwards..

If there's anything you'd like to know about the project, or like to let me know your thoughts on anything about the project I'd love to stay connected.

Also please pass along to the guys on skyscraper as a citizen of Halifax and a developer, it is very encouraging to hear/see peoples interest in making this city progressive...(it gets depressing sometimes feeling like your constantly swimming against the current as a developer in Halifax) but knowin there are people like you give people like me hope.

Keep up your interest an I promise to keep up mine in making Halifax a world class city

Last edited by DigitalNinja; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I just received this message on Facebook from Joe Metlege:

Public Hearing set for Feb 1st .. that's 3 weeks!!! this is the part where people show up to city hall and have the opportunity to speak for the project... we want to make sure everyone who wants to speak about the project, and let councillors know how you want them to vote (obviously in favour) this is your only chance.. send me a message if you need assistance making it down to city hall, we will have shuttles and drives available to anyone who wants to go and can't find a way..SPREAD THE WORD FEB 1 6:30 PM CITY HALL ON ARGYLE STREET...SHOW UP AND SUPPORT THIS PROJECT THAT'S BEEN IN THE WORKS FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS!!!

So anyone who wants to go and doesn't have a way down, let him know.
EDIT:
I sent him a quick message and here is a reply I got back to share with you guys:

I would really appreciate people ominous out and speaking in favor of the project, and then we can go out for a few celebration drinks afterwards..

If there's anything you'd like to know about the project, or like to let me know your thoughts on anything about the project I'd love to stay connected.

Also please pass along to the guys on skyscraper as a citizen of Halifax and a developer, it is very encouraging to hear/see peoples interest in making this city progressive...(it gets depressing sometimes feeling like your constantly swimming against the current as a developer in Halifax) but knowin there are people like you give people like me hope.

Keep up your interest an I promise to keep up mine in making Halifax a world class city
I've already sent in an email.
Tell Joe he's got an email from out west!

My only suggestion to those who want to speak is this: Council (HRM and others) don't like people rambling. If your points have already been expressed, there is nothing wrong with going up to the podium and saying your name, address and that you are in support of the project and that your points have already been expressed. Trust me; council really appreciates people being to the point and not wasting time.

Having done a number of presentations to council, I'd be happy to help anyone with suggestions if you are going to go to the public hearing. Just send me a pm.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 9:24 PM

Just a reminder to everyone as well, if you can't make it out to the event just send an e-mail off to Slone, Watts or what ever other councilor saying that you are in support of this development!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:46 PM

Just a reminder of this - the public hearing is tonight! We will know whether this development will proceed soon!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth