HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 8:04 PM

Both Rob and I are going to have to go back. A 6th tower crane has been erected (Again. We were down to 5 for a while) and a mobile has been putting roof structure on the North Side for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Some recent pics here - June 18, 2013 by rob huntley
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robhunt...lansdownepark/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 9:26 PM

In all honesty, if you look at other CFL stadiums around the country, Ottawa's is the best located. The atmosphere is great as well as the location. Arguably the CFL's best location for a stadium. Take a look where the other 8 stadiums are in their respective cities and you will see that Ottawa's is one of the best. Can't wait to be a season ticket holder next year!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
In all honesty, if you look at other CFL stadiums around the country, Ottawa's is the best located. The atmosphere is great as well as the location. Arguably the CFL's best location for a stadium. Take a look where the other 8 stadiums are in their respective cities and you will see that Ottawa's is one of the best. Can't wait to be a season ticket holder next year!
I must say Hamilton's stadium (in Guelph) is a little out of the way. Not sure I would drive 45 kilometers through farm fields to go watch a football game.

Montreal (Percival Molson)seems to have a similar problem to Ottawa; no transit and lack of parking parking (don't know how much they have underground).

Toronto (Skydome), I think, has on of best location. But maybe way over sized.

Winnipeg (IG Field) new stadium is way out of the way. Worst then Ottawa. The old stadium had a better location.

Calgary (McMahon Stadium), also out of the way. But at least served by the C-Train.

Edmonton (Commonwealth Stadium), close to downtown and on transit, but in an dull neighborhood.

Regina (Mosaic), can't comment as it is a way smaller city compared to the others.

Vancouver (BC Place), I think has the best location, hands down. Seems like a vibrant neighborhood, served by not one but two Skytrain stations, near Downtown...

In conclusion, when looking at accessibility and vibrancy of the area, I would rank Ottawa third or fourth out of nine.*

* note that all of my comments about the stadiums are based on research I have done in 5 minutes on Wikipedia and Google Maps. I have never been outside of eastern Canada and my knowledge of the CFL cities outside QC and ON is based on internet research throughout the years.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:20 AM

Winnipeg's old stadium in Polo Park was great. I've been there for a game before. Has great tailgating & atmosphere. Was centrally located and in a vibrant area (similar to our centrally located Glebe/Lansdowne location). Their new one in the University is too far south and difficult to get to from anywhere north.

Calgary's is great to get to, C-train stop & adjacent to two main 'highways' (Crowchild Trail & HWY 1). But once you're there this not much to do in the area. Have to head downtown or somewhere on 16th Ave for an after game drink.

Skydome is in a great area, but it way too big for football. Especially with 20,000 in the crowd when it can hold 55,000. Also the seat incline sucks for football viewing.

Agree, BC Place is in a great area and could take the number 1 spot

I've never been to the other stadiums but Montreal's looks like a fun atmosphere to watch a game in.

I still think Lansdowne is perfect for CFL with its central location, a walk to many local Glebe businesses/bars/restaurants. And a quick hop on a bus to the Market if you really wanted. Like I've said before, can't wait for this to be redone, it's going to be great!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've always found Lansdowne to have a Fenway Park or Wrigley Field feel to it.

Even Montreal and certainly Toronto and BC don't even have that in the CFL.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 1:35 PM

I think Montreal fans have voted hands down that they love the location of their stadium. Who could complain? Right at McGill University, close to downtown and at the foot of Mount Royal. It is a scenic location and has a lot of the same merits as Lansdowne Park.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:10 PM

Empire Exits Film Business

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...-film-business

I couldn't find anything about what it means to Lansdowne.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:18 PM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
Empire Theatres, anchor tenant at Lansdowne, bails out of movie business

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN June 27, 2013 1:11 PM

OTTAWA — The owner of the movie theatre being built at Lansdowne Park is getting out of the cinema business, leaving the future of the theatre at the controversial redevelopment site unclear.

Empire Co., which owns Empire Theatres and the Sobeys supermarket chain, is selling its movie houses to focus on the grocery business, the company announced Thursday morning.

The existing theatres are being divided between Cineplex Inc. and Landmark Cinemas. Cineplex is paying $200 million cash for Empire’s holdings in Atlantic Canada and Calgary-based Landmark is part of a more complicated buyout of Empire’s cinemas in the West. They’re splitting Empire’s holdings in Ontario, with Cineplex picking up its theatre in Kanata and one in Whitby and Landmark getting the rest, including one in Orléans.

None of the companies’ news releases Thursday specifically said anything about Empire’s movie theatres at Ottawa’s Exchange Centre or what will happen to the one under construction at Lansdowne.

Cineplex spokeswoman Pat Marshall said only that she had no information about those theatres.

“That’s an Empire question,” said Neil Campbell, Landmark’s chief operating officer, from Calgary. “We’re taking Orléans.”

The Citizen’s calls to Empire and the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (the consortium of developers redeveloping Lansdowne in partnership with the City of Ottawa) weren’t immediately returned.

The 10-screen cinema at Lansdowne is supposed to offer a movie-going experience that’s unique in Ottawa, with top-notch projectors and sound and extra-comfy chairs in some theatres, plus food and alcohol service. The structural steel frame of the building is the most advanced of the new construction at Lansdowne now, rising several storeys above ground close to Holmwood Avenue.

More to come.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Empire+...#ixzz2XREtldyc

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I think Montreal fans have voted hands down that they love the location of their stadium. Who could complain? Right at McGill University, close to downtown and at the foot of Mount Royal. It is a scenic location and has a lot of the same merits as Lansdowne Park.
and best of all - you walk uphill BEFORE the game and the beer, downhill after said beer.

All around excellent.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...-film-business

I couldn't find anything about what it means to Lansdowne.
Means bad news if it doesn't get picked up. When building a cinema it gets pretty specific. You can't just repurpose it like, say, a department store or even a church.

One only needs to look at the big empty space in the middle of the Podium Building at Place de Ville. Seems even office space isn't an option.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Empire Theatres, anchor tenant at Lansdowne, bails out of movie business

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN June 27, 2013 1:11 PM

OTTAWA — The owner of the movie theatre being built at Lansdowne Park is getting out of the cinema business, leaving the future of the theatre at the controversial redevelopment site unclear.

Empire Co., which owns Empire Theatres and the Sobeys supermarket chain, is selling its movie houses to focus on the grocery business, the company announced Thursday morning.

The existing theatres are being divided between Cineplex Inc. and Landmark Cinemas. Cineplex is paying $200 million cash for Empire’s holdings in Atlantic Canada and Calgary-based Landmark is part of a more complicated buyout of Empire’s cinemas in the West. They’re splitting Empire’s holdings in Ontario, with Cineplex picking up its theatre in Kanata and one in Whitby and Landmark getting the rest, including one in Orléans.

None of the companies’ news releases Thursday specifically said anything about Empire’s movie theatres at Ottawa’s Exchange Centre or what will happen to the one under construction at Lansdowne.

Cineplex spokeswoman Pat Marshall said only that she had no information about those theatres.

“That’s an Empire question,” said Neil Campbell, Landmark’s chief operating officer, from Calgary. “We’re taking Orléans.”

The Citizen’s calls to Empire and the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (the consortium of developers redeveloping Lansdowne in partnership with the City of Ottawa) weren’t immediately returned.

The 10-screen cinema at Lansdowne is supposed to offer a movie-going experience that’s unique in Ottawa, with top-notch projectors and sound and extra-comfy chairs in some theatres, plus food and alcohol service. The structural steel frame of the building is the most advanced of the new construction at Lansdowne now, rising several storeys above ground close to Holmwood Avenue.

More to come.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Empire+...#ixzz2XREtldyc
According to Jon Willing's (Ottawa Sun) Twitter feed, he quoted Empire as saying that Lansdowne shouldn't be affected.

Quote:
Empire: "We have every expectation that a theatre will open at Lansdowne Park." - Jon Willing (@JonathanWilling) June 27, 2013
Though, paraphrasing, Willing's subsequent tweet mentions that OSEG's Greenberg is trying to figure out the implications of Empire's news. This makes me question the certainty of the aforementioned tweet. Greenberg's likely figuring out a plan-B for that spot. What sucks is that the scaffolding is already going up to build the theatre. I wonder if the construction of the building will be put on hold until OSEG gets confirmation of Empire's position on remaining at Lansdowne (?)

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
According to Jon Willing's (Ottawa Sun) Twitter feed, he quoted Empire as saying that Lansdowne shouldn't be affected.

Though, paraphrasing, Willing's subsequent tweet mentions that OSEG's Greenberg is trying to figure out the implications of Empire's news. This makes me question the certainty of the aforementioned tweet. Greenberg's likely figuring out a plan-B for that spot. What sucks is that the scaffolding is already going up to build the theatre. I wonder if the construction of the building will be put on hold until OSEG gets confirmation of Empire's position on remaining at Lansdowne (?)
Empire is out of the movie theatre business. The Lansdowne cinemas will be
Cineplex or Landmark, or somebody else. Maybe the Bytowne can take a step up!

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jun 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 1:50 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends what kind of contract OSEG has with Empire. If OSEG is building the theatre without a written commitment from Empire they could be screwed. After all, a theatre isn't like a store or an office, it can sit empty for a long time. Maybe the Mayfair will take it over, if the rent is low enough!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 3:26 AM

What will the Stadium look like when finished?

also, though I'm not a fan of the name RedBlacks, I'm very happy that Ottawa will be back in the CFL, I hope that Somewhere in Atlantic Canada they get a team also for 5 in the west vs 5 in the east.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 11:56 AM

For le-Tank

The stadium should look like this

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...59171599_n.jpg

The new south side stands like this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...67640131_n.jpg

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
One only needs to look at the big empty space in the middle of the Podium Building at Place de Ville. Seems even office space isn't an option.
BitHeads' office is in the Old Westgate cinema, and apparently they kept a little screening room intact (a friend told me about after he had an interview there).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
BitHeads' office is in the Old Westgate cinema, and apparently they kept a little screening room intact (a friend told me about after he had an interview there).
Oh yeah. Didn't know that was formerly a cinema.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 12:05 AM

Stumbled on an article today on the Citizen website talking about the possibility of having a Comedy Hall of Fame at Lansdowne. The article is a few weeks old, but I didn't see it quoted in the forum:

Quote:
Lansdowne Park being eyed for a Comedy Hall of Fame
Idea floated by president of group that hosts the Canadian Comedy Awards

BY TONY LOFARO, OTTAWA CITIZEN JUNE 14, 2013

The president of the organization that hosts the Canadian Comedy Awards says a redeveloped Lansdowne Park would be a good place for a Comedy Hall of Fame.

And that’s no joke, says Tim Progosh, a Toronto actor who’s been leading the drive to create a Canadian Comedy Hall of Fame for about a decade. He’s looked at several cities, including Toronto and Niagara Falls, but Ottawa is among the leading candidates for the hall, which would include exhibits, interactive displays, and photos displays on the history of Canadian comedy and some of Canada’s most famous comic actors and personalities.

“Ottawa is great for the Hall of Fame because of all the school tours and tourists that already go there looking for some kind of educational experience and because of all the galleries you have,” says Progosh, a former Ottawa resident who started the Just for Laughs Comedy Revue in 1982.

“Our attraction will be much more exciting and interactive, and we think it is positioned well for Ottawa because of the excitement it will bring.

“Most comics that I know love playing to Ottawa audiences and say they are intelligent, and they support comedy.”

The idea is still at a preliminary stage. A Hall of Fame would be about 25,000 square feet and cost close to $8 million, said Progosh. He’s made presentations to the Ontario government and the Ministry of Tourism, and had a conference call with Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson, who liked the idea.

Progosh also met briefly with Berne Ashe, the CEO of Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, which in partnership with the city is redeveloping Lansdowne Park. Ashe calls the idea “intriguing,” but made no commitments. “I thought it was a cool idea and it’s worth considering. I hope to meet them again,” says Ashe.

Ashe says a few locations at Lansdowne Park, including Aberdeen Pavilion, were considered by Progosh and his group, but that more discussions were needed between him and the city.

“Lansdowne Park is all about sports and entertainment and community activities, so it seems what they want to do and what we’re trying to do is certainly worth talking about.”

Progosh says he’d like to create the Hall of Fame at the Aberdeen Pavilion but he doesn’t know if the city will let the building go. His group has even come up with sketches of a Hall of Fame in the building.

He says funding for the project would be split between public and private financing, adding he has a commitment for about $4 million from private investors.

“The Aberdeen Pavilion is such an iconic building, it has some rich history and people have a reverence for it. But we think we can go in there and develop something that will be world-class and draw people to it.”

Read More: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...739/story.html.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 12:19 AM

I suppose something like this can go anywhere (if they've got $4 million to throw in the pot), but wouldn't Montreal be a more obvious seat?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa