HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post
So let me get this straight; Calgarians can say whatever they want about any other city, but God forbid anyone says anything bad about Calgary?

Talk about your double standard.
Markus, if "Edmonton" isn't in the thread title (or, "Calgary" is), stay clear of reading the contents...you obviously can't handle it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:45 AM

Quote:
So let me get this straight; Calgarians can say whatever they want about any other city, but God forbid anyone says anything bad about Calgary?

Who are we bashing? Look, if you don't have anything to contribute, don't post here.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 6:36 AM

each city is what it is - vancouver isn't that great for certain careers but great for others - i have a friend who is in a field and his choice of jobs is extremely sparse - compared to places in ontario where he would have dozens of places he could go work

he is currently thinking of going back to school for landscaping related jobs as he doesn't really want to leave the city

anyway if you can find your place here its pretty good but it can be tough - the typical job is low paying and rent is crazy high

but the benefits of great parks, outdoors, climate and great restaurant life outweigh the worst i think

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 1:29 PM

Guys, in debating Greco or Markus keep in mind where the comment is coming from. Judging by the quality of their comments I think they are a couple of 12-year-olds just trying to get a rise out of people. Ignoring them will encourage them to seek entertainment elsewhere.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:00 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
Guys, in debating Greco or Markus keep in mind where the comment is coming from. Judging by the quality of their comments I think they are a couple of 12-year-olds just trying to get a rise out of people. Ignoring them will encourage them to seek entertainment elsewhere.
I view it as kind of a "how many 5 years olds could you take at once?" kind of thing!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:05 PM

Quote:

Where on this thread do you see anyone from Calgary putting down Winnipeg (Greco's town) or Edmonton??

This was a thread about Calgary and Vancouver, and it was an objective, civil debate until Greco showed up with his usual hate on for Calgary. If not for him being here there would be none of this stuff.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I view it as kind of a "how many 5 years olds could you take at once?" kind of thing!
Well put!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:12 PM
Home of Hyperchange

This will make them feel better:

Quote:
A survey commissioned by FastLife.ca, considered Canada's largest speed-dating service, has just revealed where in the nation the sexiest people can be found.

It seems a small wonder that the city of Winnipeg came in as the top sexy spot, while slightly less-surprising is the news that Vancouver landed second place and Calgary ranked third.

In addition, our city's individual neighbourhoods of Kensington and Lower Mount Royal managed to squeeze their way onto the country's top 10 list of sexy neighbourhoods at fourth and seventh place, respectively.

Perhaps most shocking, however, was the finding that while Edmonton's men ranked No. 1 in the nation in male sexiness, Edmonton's women came in a dismal last place. Better luck next year to our homely neighbours to the north.

Last edited by freeweed; Jul 31, 2008 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:48 PM

^ It's no surprise that Calgary would rank up there, just on the women alone. You've got beautiful women down there.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Sounds like something Michael Jackson would say.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:18 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Sounds like something Michael Jackson would say.
Yikes! I forgot to add to that sentence in a fight?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:52 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

What were we talking about again?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:01 PM

Aw come on Freeweed, your original tagline was so much better!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 8:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
Aw come on Freeweed, your original tagline was so much better!
I'm trying so hard to not make these flamewars get out of control... thankfully no one quoted it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 8:54 PM
DRINK

Markus, all you have to do is look at previous posts by Greco to see why people jumped on him. He puts down calgary every chance he gets (just read some of the winnipeg threads) but cries bloody murder every time somebdy makes a comment about winnipeg no matter what the intent is.

This is the type of article that makes Calgary great. They aim high and perhaps stretch some stuff. Watch, the edmonton journal will do something similar, but we'll use winnipeg instead. woohoo

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Watch, the edmonton journal will do something similar, but we'll use winnipeg instead. woohoo
I tried hard not to laugh...but that is kinda funny. Nothing wrong with Edmonton or Winnipeg (all Prairie cities feel in some ways similar anyway).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
I tried hard not to laugh...but that is kinda funny. Nothing wrong with Edmonton or Winnipeg (all Prairie cities feel in some ways similar anyway).
Edmonton and Winnipeg do have a similar feel to them, but Calgary seems to be a little more fast paced than both.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Edmonton and Winnipeg do have a similar feel to them, but Calgary seems to be a little more fast paced than both.
except during rush hour, which we seem to be able to get through quicker and faster than calgary...

anyway, if i had any real complaint here it would be about the very title of this thread - edmonton doesn't really compete with calgary (or vice versa for that matter). if anything, the two cities are complimentary to each other and each one makes the other richer. it's just that edmonton really is a way better city, particularly if you're an edmontonian (just as calgary is to calgarians, even if it's only because they don't know any better).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:20 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnklc View Post
anyway, if i had any real complaint here it would be about the very title of this thread - edmonton doesn't really compete with calgary
Well, you are certainly in luck here, because the article agrees. Calgary doesn't compete with Edmonton anymore... now we compete with bigger fish like Vancouver!

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnklc View Post

anyway, if i had any real complaint here it would be about the very title of this thread )
Then the real issue shouldn't be with the name of the thread, but the name of the article that inspired this thread (Again, Calgarians getting blamed for "tooting our horn" )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy