HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

707 Fifth in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 11:02 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Telus Sky has absolutely no curves, only the illusion of curves.
I know that Telus Sky clearly has no curved glass. What I meant is that the entire design is one giant curve. Curvy designs, not necessarily curved glass. That said, I'm really looking forward to see the curved glass on Brookfield Place and Manulife.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 11:16 PM
I am the law!

Brookfield Place in laymen's terms is a box. What curves are you talking about?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:59 AM
ARTchitecture

It's a much nicer "box" than most others going up in this country. 90 degree angled corners at the bottom on every side, tapering into rounded corners at the top, hence "curved glass." The design is completely clear in the renders.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 3:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Brookfield Place in laymen's terms is a box. What curves are you talking about?
The ground floor is a box, but the corners get progressively more rounded as you go up. From most angles it will look like the building is tapered.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:05 AM
I am the law!

I'm aware of the tapered curve corners. Rather insignificant as curves, IMO.

I actually have concern over the concept. Subtle tapering tends to make towers look stumpier (i.e. Centennial Place) and was never fond of curved corners on a square footprint popularized in the late 70s and 80s. (I.e.Gold clad towers)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:35 AM
ARTchitecture

You'd rather a Bay Adelaide Centre style horrific box(which is what the previous design was) over Brookfield's current design as the tallest building in Canada's 2nd tallest skyline then? Hmmmm

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 2:05 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
You'd rather a Bay Adelaide Centre style horrific box(which is what the previous design was) over Brookfield's current design as the tallest building in Canada's 2nd tallest skyline then? Hmmmm
Did i say that? I do love that Bay Adelaide is a horrific box but throw a couple rounded corners that taper and you have the greatest thing since The Bow. KPMB and horrific are a contradiction in any sense.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm aware of the tapered curve corners. Rather insignificant as curves, IMO.

I actually have concern over the concept. Subtle tapering tends to make towers look stumpier (i.e. Centennial Place) and was never fond of curved corners on a square footprint popularized in the late 70s and 80s. (I.e.Gold clad towers)
Subtle but significant I would say. I don’t mind this building being more boxy in part because it’s right in the middle of downtown and the only part visible on the skyline will be the top, which will be the most rounded, and it will have the crown feature which we’re told will be very nicely done. From the street level I think the taper on the corners is going to look good, subtle but noticeable and elegant. When it comes to architecture I’m pretty much just Joe public, but my favourite buildings and future buildings in Calgary are Telus Sky, The Bow, the Manulife building, and Bankers Hall. I don’t tend to favour boxes but if done well, and appropriate for where they’re being built, I do like them. I also like Centennial Place and even Jamieson Place is starting to appeal to me. Otoh I was going the other way on 3EC and I’m now kind of glad it was cancelled, and I’m strangely lukewarm on the Eau Claire Market proposal.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:11 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah, agreed Allan. Plus, only one flat-roofed "box" among all of our major towers(170 meters+)? That's not so bad, especially considering the quality it will be. I wish we were shown what the rooftop feature will look like at night. I'm excited for it nontheless.

Back to Manulife though - I'm also quite excited for this tower. In my opinion, they couldn't have picked a better location for a stunning yet short design such as this, being right on the park, along the LRT line. It is going to be an extremely noticeable tower and will never be blocked from view thanks to the park.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Apr 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM. Reason: correcting grammar - OCD

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:20 PM

Not to argue the point on curves, but when I say "curvy" I am thinking something more along the lines of buildings that are round or elliptical in plan, or have a very pronounced (not subtle) roundness to them. Calgary still has a lot of buildings that are variations on a box, with a very angular skyline. Brookfield Place, Centennial, etc. have some chamfers and elements that differentiate them somewhat from a glass box, but most people I talk to think of them as "boxes" (not meant as criticism, as I think both are good buildings - just not terribly unique ones). Buildings like Manulife (and Bow and Telus) are anything but boxy.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
Not to argue the point on curves, but when I say "curvy" I am thinking something more along the lines of buildings that are round or elliptical in plan, or have a very pronounced (not subtle) roundness to them. Calgary still has a lot of buildings that are variations on a box, with a very angular skyline. Brookfield Place, Centennial, etc. have some chamfers and elements that differentiate them somewhat from a glass box, but most people I talk to think of them as "boxes" (not meant as criticism, as I think both are good buildings - just not terribly unique ones). Buildings like Manulife (and Bow and Telus) are anything but boxy.
Exactly. Most buildings n Calgary are variations of a box, and no matter how you look at it, are masculine. Manulife and Telus sky are much more curvy and feminine.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 10:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Demolition well-underway with Quincy's and the Parkade around 50% gone. The Mawer building should begin coming down in no time, as remediation is nearly complete.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:29 AM
Editor

Quote:
Demolition well-underway with Quincy's and the Parkade around 50% gone. The Mawer building should begin coming down in no time, as remediation is nearly complete.
I'm very excited for this one.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 11:06 PM
ARTchitecture

It is amazing how much has already been done. It's only been underway for like a week!!

ManuDemo by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Demanulife by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Almost gone... by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 8:04 PM

Thanks for the update pics Chad!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 11:37 PM
ARTchitecture

They have already started taking down the demolition scaffolding.

Quincy's is pretty much leveled and the parkade is mostly gone.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 4:38 PM
Editor

Quote:
They have already started taking down the demolition scaffolding.

Quincy's is pretty much leveled and the parkade is mostly gone.
I still haven't been by to check out the action. They are moving quickly.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 10:02 PM
ARTchitecture

Both Quincys and the parkade are gone, demo scaffolding is already coming down. The same crew will probably move right over to the Mawer Building to start taking it down, it looks like prep work inside the building is complete.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 6:41 PM

I walked past there earlier this morning and there is very little left. Just the Mawer Building.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 10:20 PM
ARTchitecture

Yep, pretty much nothing left.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive