HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #621  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 8:24 PM
CAGeoNerd CAGeoNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
How do you know this is not the "final" rendering?

Hopefully they completely eliminate the stupid landscaping. Why are landscaping separations still a thing? I still see it in the suburbs (sadly) but they don't belong in urban areas. Also, I can't emphasize enough how the wild growth on the river needs to be cleared out to actually make it usable. I mean, what is the point of the river development right?
The natural bank along the West Sac side is cool and stands in contrast to the built-up pier across the river in Old Sac. The whole area around the West Sac river walk (don't know if you've ever walked around over there) is to be a natural open space with walking paths and is a gathering place for festivals/food trucks, etc. Those big trees provide shade and are a great amenity especially contrasted with Old Sac. There's plenty of space to develop artificial/concrete banks along the river, but i shouldn't be done here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #622  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 8:42 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
The natural bank along the West Sac side is cool and stands in contrast to the built-up pier across the river in Old Sac. The whole area around the West Sac river walk (don't know if you've ever walked around over there) is to be a natural open space with walking paths and is a gathering place for festivals/food trucks, etc. Those big trees provide shade and are a great amenity especially contrasted with Old Sac. There's plenty of space to develop artificial/concrete banks along the river, but i shouldn't be done here.
It doesn't have to be a pier/boardwalk with concrete, it would be enough just to clear out the area into some kind of beach area with tiki stands and taco huts or something. Right now it's just a wild forest with rats and snakes. It will go completely unused with left untouched.

But if you think I'm full of it, lets see. We'll check back in a few years if the build it out as rendered. Lets see if anyone uses the river bank at all.
__________________
Majin Crew: jsf8278, wburg, daverave
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #623  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:25 PM
SacTownAndy's Avatar
SacTownAndy SacTownAndy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Bridge District, West Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,178
I think it's FAR better than the Natomas-style Capitol Yards complex across the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #624  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 9:27 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
I think it's FAR better than the Natomas-style Capitol Yards complex across the street.
Yes anything is better than that crap. Again, with the stupid MASSIVE landscaping setbacks. Why are those even legal anymore?

But still. The Capitol Yards complex is a very low bar.
__________________
Majin Crew: jsf8278, wburg, daverave
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #625  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:35 AM
snfenoc's Avatar
snfenoc snfenoc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steve in East Sac
Posts: 1,063
I like the concept as is. I do see a desire to engage people with the river, and I like the idea of a "beach." However, I think this will probably be a luxury development; so I doubt people will want to spend that kind of money to be right up against a trail with god knows who walking down it. Plus, the trees against the river add a higher level of scenery for those people who spend the bigger bucks to have a river view.

Additionally, that area does tend to flood; so I doubt you can get too close to the river without spending extra to build some kind of pier or retaining wall to keep everything out of the water.
__________________
Sincerely,
Steve in East Sac
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #626  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:58 PM
CAGeoNerd CAGeoNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
It doesn't have to be a pier/boardwalk with concrete, it would be enough just to clear out the area into some kind of beach area with tiki stands and taco huts or something. Right now it's just a wild forest with rats and snakes. It will go completely unused with left untouched.

But if you think I'm full of it, lets see. We'll check back in a few years if the build it out as rendered. Lets see if anyone uses the river bank at all.
The fact that it's "just a wild forest" is what it's supposed to be. The whole waterfront on the West Sac side between the I Street Bridge and Tower Bridge is a city park. It has walking trails and a sort of amphitheater area/gathering places. People jog and bike along there especially now since they're making the bike trail go all along the TBD to the Barn and eventually further south.

It's not a great analogy but if you've ever been to Portland they have a waterfront park all along downtown. It's mostly a platform but it's tree-lined with landscaped, grassy areas. Think of this as a similar use of space.

I do agree a beach or some other features like decks and things to get people closer to the water and make use of the waterfront would nice additions, but the open park space and trees along the riverbank right now is kind of the point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #627  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:06 PM
TWAK's Avatar
TWAK TWAK is online now
bay area refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake County, CA
Posts: 3,200
They should just combine this thing into one tower....has it gone to the review board or whatever they do for architecture? Could goad them with letting them have a parking structure
__________________
nobody cares about your city
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #628  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:43 PM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
Sacramento~City of Trees
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Urbs Indomita
Posts: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
It doesn't have to be a pier/boardwalk with concrete, it would be enough just to clear out the area into some kind of beach area with tiki stands and taco huts or something. Right now it's just a wild forest with rats and snakes. It will go completely unused with left untouched.

But if you think I'm full of it, lets see. We'll check back in a few years if the build it out as rendered. Lets see if anyone uses the river bank at all.



Majin, i think they are trying to maintain the original character of the river’s edge. Tiki stands and taco huts would not be in character and secondly some of those trees are home to natural wildlife habitat that if destroyed will never return again. Besides we cant put in beaches because in high water, they would be washed away.
__________________
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”~~Theodor Seuss Geisel
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #629  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:38 PM
SacTownAndy's Avatar
SacTownAndy SacTownAndy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Bridge District, West Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,178
I thought I had remembered hearing something about a new dock project at Raley's Landing near this project a while back. Looks like I wasn't losing my mind. RFPs went out a few months ago.

Quote:
The proposed work consists of the following: Constructing a new floating public boat dock and debris deflector in West Sacramento between the I-street bridge and Tower Bridge at Raley’s Landing. This involves removing and replacing remnant dock pilings as well as installing new dock pilings, a debris deflector, dock platforms, gangways, gate, electrical and lighting in the Sacramento River and land adjacent.
https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org.../783?selcat=51
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #630  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 4:12 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
It doesn't have to be a pier/boardwalk with concrete, it would be enough just to clear out the area into some kind of beach area with tiki stands and taco huts or something. Right now it's just a wild forest with rats and snakes. It will go completely unused with left untouched.

But if you think I'm full of it, lets see. We'll check back in a few years if the build it out as rendered. Lets see if anyone uses the river bank at all.
Well it’s an artist concept rather than a site plan and obviously does not give us a entirely accurate view of how it will sit in its surroundings. But it does raise some questions. I believe the reason for the wide “natural” west river bank is because of flooding. On the Sacramento side they built a high levee, then raised the city up. To do the same on the WeSac side would require a lot of money and even then unlikely to get approved today due to the environmental concerns. I personally like the contrast but agree they need to rebuild the dock over the water. I believe they said they are planning to do that too. (See SacTownAndy’s reply above.) Given it would be a public (or semi-public) space they would very likely require public funds and go through a lot more hoops. Hopefully it’ll happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #631  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 4:23 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
They should just combine this thing into one tower....has it gone to the review board or whatever they do for architecture? Could goad them with letting them have a parking structure
As you know the higher you go the more it costs. Depends on the construction methods and materials. A higher building there might not be preferable because it’s close proximity to the Tower Bridge and Old Sacramento and views from Raley Field.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #632  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:37 PM
SacTownAndy's Avatar
SacTownAndy SacTownAndy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Bridge District, West Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,178
Fun little video promoting The Bridge District. (I'm an idiot, I don't know how to embed a youtube clip here).

https://youtu.be/6MCeywt3v9A
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #633  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:35 PM
novatone82 novatone82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 49
Finished watching the news , west Sacramento with some new hotel development about to brake ground along the river front?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #634  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:17 AM
urbanadvocate urbanadvocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
Finished watching the news , west Sacramento with some new hotel development about to brake ground along the river front?
Is it the one adjacent the Tower Bridge (on the north side)? Or is this something new and different?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #635  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:23 PM
snfenoc's Avatar
snfenoc snfenoc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steve in East Sac
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
Is it the one adjacent the Tower Bridge (on the north side)? Or is this something new and different?
No, it is not the combination resort and condo complex we talked about a few months back.

I found a story about it located on the KXTV ABC10 website: https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...4-72a20a11356b

The hotel will be located on West Crapitol Ave, across from a bowling alley. It will be a 115-unit Hilton Home 2 Suites extended-stay hotel. Not super-exciting, but a step in the right direction.



The Resort/Condo project (next to the Tower Bridge, just south of the Ziggurat Building) is supposed to begin construction next year, according to Aaron Laurel, West Sacramento's City Manager.
__________________
Sincerely,
Steve in East Sac
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #636  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:49 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,186


Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
No, it is not the combination resort and condo complex we talked about a few months back.

I found a story about it located on the KXTV ABC10 website: https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...4-72a20a11356b

The hotel will be located on West Crapitol Ave, across from a bowling alley. It will be a 115-unit Hilton Home 2 Suites extended-stay hotel. Not super-exciting, but a step in the right direction.



The Resort/Condo project (next to the Tower Bridge, just south of the Ziggurat Building) is supposed to begin construction next year, according to Aaron Laurel, West Sacramento's City Manager.
__________________
Majin Crew: jsf8278, wburg, daverave
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #637  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:50 PM
kamehameha kamehameha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
Calstrs is suppose to start construction in a few days. we should have construction cranes in both sides of the sacramento river.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #638  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:04 PM
enigma99a's Avatar
enigma99a enigma99a is offline
Megalonorcal 11M~
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rocklin
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Calstrs is suppose to start construction in a few days. we should have construction cranes in both sides of the sacramento river.
Although it's another boring project
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #639  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:14 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Although it's another boring project
I agree
__________________
Majin Crew: jsf8278, wburg, daverave
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.