HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 7:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I enjoy my backdoor route to Buda down Twin Creek and Old San Antonio. This development will ruin it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Are they really tearing down all that retail at 38th/Lamar and putting up a 3 stories of apartments over ground level parking? Or does this rendering leave the ground level retail blank?
Wait, what? I'm no fan of strip malls, but if they put up (another) squat low rise there with zero retail on the ground level like that rendering we'll be going backwards IMHO. Is this rendering for real? That would be horrible.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Looks like Catellus threw up some construction fencing, and put up a construction trailer and some port a potties around the town center area at Aldrich and McBee...no announcement, but could the long awaited town be near? I'll post a pic later.
It's probably for the AMLI Town Center complex on Simonds, next to the Children's Museum. The site plan was recently approved.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Are they really tearing down all that retail at 38th/Lamar and putting up a 3 stories of apartments over ground level parking? Or does this rendering leave the ground level retail blank?
Looks like ground floor retail to me.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
It's probably for the AMLI Town Center complex on Simonds, next to the Children's Museum. The site plan was recently approved.
Maybe, and that was my first thought, but they're moving dirt behind the construction fence and the trailer and porta potties aren't where you'd expect for the AMLI...plus the area fenced off is huge multiple acres, well in excess of what you would need to stage the AMLI

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I remember that, Kevin. New Urbanism and cul-de-sac-filled suburban sprawl in the same project? Yikes. It's like they're trying to make poison more appealing by pouring sugar in it. No thanks, guys. But I guess we're helpless to stop it. Fuckers.

FYI:

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...ol-comp/nWRdg/
Too bad about the state - I can't say I'm surprised thought. I would hope if they don't have the stomach for P3s that they should sell off some of that land and let the private sector develop it. If only there was a way to take the politicians out of P3s and leave it to the Facilities Commission...

Of course I don't think either is a possibility, so any hope of this area should be stowed for the time being - this is not going to go forward at a pace that resembles anything but glacial.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Maybe, and that was my first thought, but they're moving dirt behind the construction fence and the trailer and porta potties aren't where you'd expect for the AMLI...plus the area fenced off is huge multiple acres, well in excess of what you would need to stage the AMLI
You might be right. I went by myself to take a look. It is the area where the Town Center parking garage is going, but the site plan hasn't been approved, so they can't really be starting site prep. They might be preparing a larger area for staging in anticipation of the site plan being released soon. I also noticed they recently submitted a Phase II parking lot as well, so there must be some movement.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 7:37 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I enjoy my backdoor route to Buda down Twin Creek and Old San Antonio. This development will ruin it.
My mom works on the north side of Buda. She takes that route also (across that small one lane bridge). It's faster since she's able to go down South First which is just a half mile to the east of us. It's better than messing around with William Cannon and I-35 in the mornings. But yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of this. I doubt it'll truly be urban, just another sprawling development with acres of parking. How could it not be, it covers 600 acres. It's not a bad place for development with SH-45 being just south of it, but it's not going to help that area to have car oriented sprawl that contributes to traffic. I hate think of what that one lane bridge will be like with the added traffic...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 9:09 PM

It looks a lot better than what could have been built there. Considering how far out there it is I think it's not that bad. It will be much better than what is existing close to the north in the Southpark Meadows area and south to Buda.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 9:30 PM
Meh

The area in northern Buda is rural with farms and ranches. The place my mom works at has a farm on the property. It's only the area near I-35 that makes Buda look developed. If you go west a bit (even just few blocks), it's very rural.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
http://www.austintowers.net/Austin_D...ndbreaking.php

And a new rendering, which honestly makes this look like a great project:

Anyone else think that looks a lot like the Austonian chopped off at 12 (or so) floors?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Anyone else think that looks a lot like the Austonian chopped off at 12 (or so) floors?
Oh wow, it totally....IS.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:31 AM

They finally opened the Urban Outfitters in the W. It looks so much better now. That whole area feels a lot more complete.

Also, the lights are on inside of the Whitley. I just drove by it, but I briefly got a look inside and it looks nice. Close to being finished. Could we possibly see it opening before SXSW, too?

I meant to go by SkyHouse, but it got dark. I bet it's huge now!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 12:13 PM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
They finally opened the Urban Outfitters in the W. It looks so much better now. That whole area feels a lot more complete.

Urban Outfitters has been open for well over a year now. In fact, it has been so long, I can't even remember if it has been less than two years. (I think it not)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
Urban Outfitters has been open for well over a year now. In fact, it has been so long, I can't even remember if it has been less than two years. (I think it not)
I bought something there in the summer of 2011, so it's been awhile.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 1:46 PM
Old West Austin

Anybody know anything about the North Shore Lofts project posted on the Downtown Austin blog? Ideal location...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
Anybody know anything about the North Shore Lofts project posted on the Downtown Austin blog? Ideal location...
Go to the Austin Update thread in the Austin forum.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 7:49 PM

Whoa, no way. Because I've driven by there many times and didn't see anything. In fact, someone just posted on reddit a few months ago asking why nothing was open there and I cross-posted to here about it and no one said anything back then. Maybe they closed it down for a while and then opened it back up? Oh well..

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Whoa, no way. Because I've driven by there many times and didn't see anything. In fact, someone just posted on reddit a few months ago asking why nothing was open there and I cross-posted to here about it and no one said anything back then. Maybe they closed it down for a while and then opened it back up? Oh well..
Nope...it's been over for over 2 years now.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 8:37 PM

Sorry, but it hasn't been over 2 years. Maybe a little over a year. But their sign is dark. It's not lit up. So it's possible that I drove by in the middle of the night (I used to work the graveyard shift) and it didn't seem like anything was open there yet.

Edit: I figured it out. I was mistaken about which retail space still wasn't open. Apparently it is a different one: ]http://i.imgur.com/r8pqiVD.jpg

Last edited by Syndic; Feb 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations