HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't know if there is a plan, but losing the parking lot at Lasalle/Huron and also soon the parking lot on Wells between Huron and Erie would make their business very difficult to manage because they store cars in both those lots all the time. So even if there isn't a plan for the site currently, I'm sure Erie-Lasalle saw the writing on the wall a while ago.
I lament the loss of another small local longtime business in River North, but even more, I lament the loss of the neon sign with the cool calligraphy-style lettering; hopefully that sign can be saved and re-used somewhere else in the city where they move to, and whatever winds up built there, will have some cool neon sign as well. I love neon, lol.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
I lament the loss of another small local longtime business in River North, but even more, I lament the loss of the neon sign with the cool calligraphy-style lettering; hopefully that sign can be saved and re-used somewhere else in the city where they move to, and whatever winds up built there, will have some cool neon sign as well. I love neon, lol.
+1

That sign is very cool. Hopefully the land gets put to a better use.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 3:41 AM

Apple Store
10/27/16
Construction Worker Pow-Wow

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 5:12 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
+1

That sign is very cool. Hopefully the land gets put to a better use.
I don't know what will become of the sign, but the shop is going to Huron and Milwaukee.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 8:34 PM

I noticed that work was being done on the Wells-Wentworh connector last weekend just east of Ping Tom Park (northern portion).

There's also a building under construction at Archer/Clark. Currently just a couple brick walls but a rendering at the site of a mid-rise with retail attached. Will try to post a photo later.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I noticed that work was being done on the Wells-Wentworh connector last weekend just east of Ping Tom Park (northern portion).

There's also a building under construction at Archer/Clark. Currently just a couple brick walls but a rendering at the site of a mid-rise with retail attached. Will try to post a photo later.
Hmmmm, This lot?
http://chicago.curbed.com/2014/8/18/...near-chinatown

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Nope, same intersection but SW corner. I was surprised to see it too, since the site from the Curbed article was where I thought a new building should be going.

EDIT: Crappy iPhone photos of site

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 10:12 PM
The City

^ What is that, a retail strip next to a really narrow tower? Strange

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:00 PM

The 9 story, 104 unit + ground floor retail (w/46 parking spaces) was issued a new construction permit for 710 W Grand Ave. This is near the Grand Blue Line stop. The article below says 8 stories, while the permit says 9 so it looks like they may have added a floor from the rendering

http://chicago.curbed.com/2015/8/19/...10-w-grand-tod
Source: Curbed

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Nope, same intersection but SW corner. I was surprised to see it too, since the site from the Curbed article was where I thought a new building should be going.

According to my girlfriend, the Chinese characters on the banner is Wangfujing, which is a popular shopping/food destination in Beijing especially if you are a tourist looking to get street food. Also the name of the area. She says it's very touristy and if you go to Beijing, you'll most likely hear about it. "but it's not good" according to her. LOL - funny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wangfujing

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 4:13 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
The 9 story, 104 unit + ground floor retail (w/46 parking spaces) was issued a new construction permit for 710 W Grand Ave. This is near the Grand Blue Line stop. The article below says 8 stories, while the permit says 9 so it looks like they may have added a floor from the rendering
No, the ninth floor is probably an amenity penthouse that you can't see from the rendering angle.

Also, Moody Bible is planning an expansion. They've been planning this for awhile but just put up renderings on the site. This will bring the campus up to Wells instead of their suburban style setback, but the blank wall on the base is just C'mon guys, Cabrini Green is gone, you don't need to keep building fortresses...

Moody Global

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 5:40 PM
THAT Guy

Update on Columbia's new student center

http://www.colum.edu/news-and-events...l#.WBTSUpMrJZ0

Quote:
Columbia’s first student center is set to open in October, 2018 on Wabash Avenue and 8th Street. The planning committee will announce an architect by December 16. Plans for the new Student Center were unveiled last year and continue to be a centerpiece to the exciting direction of the college.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 9:43 PM

^They really need to have a great design for this, their flagship building. Columbia has been wonderful stewards of several landmark buildings by architects such as Jenney, Beman, Holabird and Root. Good architecture is an essential part of the Columbia "brand".

Gang is no doubt in the running for the student center, but whoever gets this job, it needs to be good!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 9:50 PM

Last edited by Loopy; Jun 21, 2021 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No, the ninth floor is probably an amenity penthouse that you can't see from the rendering angle.

Also, Moody Bible is planning an expansion. They've been planning this for awhile but just put up renderings on the site. This will bring the campus up to Wells instead of their suburban style setback, but the blank wall on the base is just C'mon guys, Cabrini Green is gone, you don't need to keep building fortresses...

Moody Global
Wow this is awful.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 10:50 PM
The City

When you study the Bible you need to be free from the sins of the city around you.

Just sayin....

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Also, Moody Bible is planning an expansion. They've been planning this for awhile but just put up renderings on the site. This will bring the campus up to Wells instead of their suburban style setback, but the blank wall on the base is just ...
It appears the new building is effectively a western companion to Sweeting with a courtyard between the two. That isn't to say the building shouldn't also be oriented toward Wells, but I can see the logic to opening toward Sweeting.

From what I have seen Moody is fairly open - suburban style with lawns and parking lots - and Sweeting faces LaSalle. It never appeared to me that the campus was designed to be closed off from the city

Last edited by VKChaz; Oct 30, 2016 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
ITAP of the place on the Friday bus ride home

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 4:30 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
It appears the new building is effectively a western companion to Sweeting with a courtyard between the two. That isn't to say the building shouldn't also be oriented toward Wells, but I can see the logic to opening toward Sweeting.

From what I have seen Moody is fairly open - suburban style with lawns and parking lots - and Sweeting faces LaSalle. It never appeared to me that the campus was designed to be closed off from the city
My biggest complaint isn't that they don't "open to Wells" because what would be the point? But rather that the neighborhood loses that patch of grass. I've sat on the benches there many times because it acts as a defacto pocket park in an area without many.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 4:34 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
According to my girlfriend, the Chinese characters on the banner is Wangfujing, which is a popular shopping/food destination in Beijing especially if you are a tourist looking to get street food. Also the name of the area. She says it's very touristy and if you go to Beijing, you'll most likely hear about it. "but it's not good" according to her. LOL - funny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wangfujing
I've been to Wangfujing - actually stayed in a hotel just off of it where I was the only Westerner in it (the perks of traveling with a Chinese national). It was interesting to see. It's not sophisticated, but it sure as hell beats any Asian night market in Chicago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development