HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The Aurora development on north mcphillips has a commercial leasing sign up, don't remember which company. The portion of the site closest to mcphillips is commercial. Long rumoured a Costco for the site, but I think that's died down recently.
It’s tided to Gauthier. I think they are moving or opening a new dealership as per that new sign.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 1:21 AM

Any new information on what's happening to former Sears Locations:

The rumors reported here so far:

St Vital - Home Sense / Marshalls (or Winners?) plus a Good Life Fitness on the 2nd Floor.
Garden City - Seafood City along a few others stores.
Kildonan Place - Spirit of Halloween (only for a couple of months)
Polo Park - ????

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
It’s been closed for a while. It was only open for like a week.
Yeah well a for lease sign has gone up

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:37 PM

Winners and Home Sense signs are up at the Plaza@Polo (former target building)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:33 PM

They did quite a lot of work to the front of that building. Someone had said earlier they were adding entrances. I didn't realize it would be these huge stairwells, elevators whatever it is. Looks like they added a couple.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Any new information on what's happening to former Sears Locations:

The rumors reported here so far:

St Vital - Home Sense / Marshalls (or Winners?) plus a Good Life Fitness on the 2nd Floor.
Garden City - Seafood City along a few others stores.
Kildonan Place - Spirit of Halloween (only for a couple of months)
Polo Park - ????
Someone had said St Vital is turning into a full demo and rebuild due to the costs and complexities of overhauling the existing Eaton's/Sears space.

Polo Park is likely sitting dark while Simons works out their financing for additional stores.

KP with Sobey's flipping the banner on the Lag&Regent Safeway to Fresh Co the opportunity for Save on Foods to snatch an existing grocery store in the Regent area is mostly gone. Taking on a conversion of the former Sears would definitely give them a presence in the much requested northeast area. The challenge of course is KP has its own history with grocery stores and it didn't really generate mall traffic.

Garden City - I have nothing to say the Seafood City rumors are incorrect. That said other that users posting here I have nothing saying it is correct either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They did quite a lot of work to the front of that building. Someone had said earlier they were adding entrances. I didn't realize it would be these huge stairwells, elevators whatever it is. Looks like they added a couple.
The addition for the entrance, stairwells, elevators, etc was reported to be larger than most people's homes. It still surprises me when I see retail square footage and think what it means in residential terms.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:23 PM

I Was at Outlet Collection Winnipeg on Saturday a New Store is Coming

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Someone had said St Vital is turning into a full demo and rebuild due to the costs and complexities of overhauling the existing Eaton's/Sears space.

Polo Park is likely sitting dark while Simons works out their financing for additional stores.

KP with Sobey's flipping the banner on the Lag&Regent Safeway to Fresh Co the opportunity for Save on Foods to snatch an existing grocery store in the Regent area is mostly gone. Taking on a conversion of the former Sears would definitely give them a presence in the much requested northeast area. The challenge of course is KP has its own history with grocery stores and it didn't really generate mall traffic.

Garden City - I have nothing to say the Seafood City rumors are incorrect. That said other that users posting here I have nothing saying it is correct either.

The addition for the entrance, stairwells, elevators, etc was reported to be larger than most people's homes. It still surprises me when I see retail square footage and think what it means in residential terms.
Kildonan Mile, festival whatever it's called? There's so much housing going in back there, seems like that strip would be a gold mine. Even with all the other retail in the area.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:32 PM

I’m going to go with Save On Foods for the shops of Kildonan Mile, behind Kildonan Place, I don’t think there’s anything else, grocery wise. Especially with Shindico, it’s always the same retail choices.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:08 PM

I really don't think Kildonan Mile happens.

Without any anchors the KP mall proper is dead in the water. That developer is going to be desperate to get anyone to take over that Sears space ASAP.

Not too long ago KP tried to pretend it was hanging with the big players (St Vital and Polo Park) now its turning into a Grant Park. Keep in mind at one time Grant Park had four anchors and now it has two while KP currently has zero anchors, down from a high of three.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:

Without any anchors the KP mall proper is dead in the water. That developer is going to be desperate to get anyone to take over that Sears space ASAP.

Not too long ago KP tried to pretend it was hanging with the big players (St Vital and Polo Park) now its turning into a Grant Park. Keep in mind at one time Grant Park had four anchors and now it has two while KP currently has zero anchors, down from a high of three.
OR they are ahead of the game in getting rid of anchors...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
I Was at Outlet Collection Winnipeg on Saturday a New Store is Coming
Riveting.

G by Guess? They're hiring right now. That will make 3 Guess banners in OC.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:37 PM

jefferson safeway

Quote:
Not sure the Jefferson store was 100% a different building than the Food Barn on the site but if it isn't a whole new building it had a major overhaul on the exterior look.

The other Food Barn was on Regent and now houses the Dollarama next to Toys R Us. Despite the revolving door of tenants over the years its original look remains mostly intact.

In terms of the mirrored look on Jefferson I recall there was another location with a similar look but can't place it if it wasn't Tuxedo. It isn't as overstated as Jefferson but the corner store entrance and the exterior window for the florist section at the rear of the store where the key features of the design.

Regent and Lag I think is a few years newer than Jefferson. It maintains the single corner entrance, which replaced the older cashiers to a front hallway with doors on both sides common in the swoop roof 60s era stores. Regent of course added the then new grocery pickup door in the middle of the front. From memory both Jefferson and Regent featured front side bakeries like the older tiny room in the 60s era stores but without being in a time room. Newer store builds moved the bakery to the back of the store.
I recall as a kid that the Safeway on Jefferson % McPhillips was 62,00 ft 2 plus. The largest size in Canada. The Leila location was the largest at 45,000 it when it opened in 1977 . That would be an ideal spot for Red River co-op. as would the abandoned store on Henderson.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:38 AM

Quote:

They paid for the street upgrades as part of the kildonan mile project, it will definitely happen

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
The Leila location was the largest at 45,000 it when it opened in 1977 . That would be an ideal spot for Red River co-op. as would the abandoned store on Henderson.
Pretty sure Red River Co-Op is not generating the revenue it had hoped on the grocery side of things and has mostly iced any expansion plans. I know there is a take over by Red River Co-Op of three semi-rural Federated Co-Op grocery stores. It is very telling though that The Marketplace on Henderson was closed rather than doing a Red River conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
They paid for the street upgrades as part of the kildonan mile project, it will definitely happen
Kildonan Mile won't ever happen without a lead tenant and those are in short supply at the moment. With the former Food Barn/Value Village and the former Sears space both available for lease it puts downward pressure on the lease price of any potential Kildonan Mile tenant unless a large scale tenant like Lowes of Bass Pro Shop wants to open in the area and those other locations are too small.

Kildonan Mile has been on the books for a long time and the lack of a lead tenant has done more to keep it from happening than the old road.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure Red River Co-Op is not generating the revenue it had hoped on the grocery side of things and has mostly iced any expansion plans. I know there is a take over by Red River Co-Op of three semi-rural Federated Co-Op grocery stores. It is very telling though that The Marketplace on Henderson was closed rather than doing a Red River conversion.

Kildonan Mile won't ever happen without a lead tenant and those are in short supply at the moment. With the former Food Barn/Value Village and the former Sears space both available for lease it puts downward pressure on the lease price of any potential Kildonan Mile tenant unless a large scale tenant like Lowes of Bass Pro Shop wants to open in the area and those other locations are too small.

Kildonan Mile has been on the books for a long time and the lack of a lead tenant has done more to keep it from happening than the old road.
The Marketplace at McIvor Mall closed? That would probably be a good spot for Giant Tiger

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
It is very telling though that The Marketplace on Henderson was closed rather than doing a Red River conversion.
Red River Coop looked at the Henderson Marketplace as a conversion but determined that it was too small.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:

Unlikely Lowes as they are currently converting Rona on Panet over.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:37 PM

Garden City Sears Building and Empty Safeway Across The Street

The Sears building is currently in a state of demolition on the North side at least. I thought that the existing building would be gutted and then reconfigured. Wrong.

Across the street at the empty Safeway building, there is secret activity going on with construction trucks/materials in the rear of the building. According to Management at the GCSC Winners, the Safeway building will house a Marshalls/Homesense and is scheduled to open in April 2019.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:42 AM

Also Confirmed News Sunrise Records Is Coming To St Vital Centre Will Open Third Location Next Month

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan