HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:02 PM

On the other side of the coin, having an airport too close to a city stunts the airports own growth and can reduce operational hours because of complaints about noise pollution.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:36 AM

Looks like some changes are coming to the AC YHZ-LHR route next winter.

Stays at 4xweekly on a '767....but two of those frequencies will now route YHZ-YYT-LHR....giving YYT a widebody again across the pond instead of the A319

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:06 PM

According to the Telegraph Journal Porter Airlines will begin daily non-stop service to Ottawa on September 21st. from the Saint John Airport. The aircraft will be the typical 74 seat Bombardier Q400 that Porter uses. Fredericton is also getting Porter. Their service starts on September 12th. Kudos to both YSJ and YFC for landing Porter!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:24 PM

Wonder if Encore will follow suit for ysj?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:49 PM

Just saw that Flair Airlines bought New Leaf earlier this month, with plans for expansion and possibly a new name.

Always found the business model strange, an airline with no planes.

Wonder if flights to Moncton will resume after Flair assumes full command.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
According to the Telegraph Journal Porter Airlines will begin daily non-stop service to Ottawa on September 21st. from the Saint John Airport. The aircraft will be the typical 74 seat Bombardier Q400 that Porter uses. Fredericton is also getting Porter. Their service starts on September 12th. Kudos to both YSJ and YFC for landing Porter!
Good news for Freddy and SJ. The Porter service is quite popular here in Moncton. Anytime i'm flying just to Toronto (and not onward), I always fly Porter - good service and free booze. It's also a cinch getting downtown from Billy Bishop too (free shuttle). The only downside is the pit stop in Ottawa, but that's not much of a hardship really.

I've always been impressed just how many of the Porter passengers from Moncton actually are flying to Ottawa as their terminal destination rather than Toronto (about half), especially since there's also an AC flight to Ottawa as well.........

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good news for Freddy and SJ. The Porter service is quite popular here in Moncton. Anytime i'm flying just to Toronto (and not onward), I always fly Porter - good service and free booze. It's also a cinch getting downtown from Billy Bishop too (free shuttle). The only downside is the pit stop in Ottawa, but that's not much of a hardship really.

I've always been impressed just how many of the Porter passengers from Moncton actually are flying to Ottawa as their terminal destination rather than Toronto (about half), especially since there's also an AC flight to Ottawa as well.........
I think Porter made a very smart move moving their departure time to early morning as opposed to mid afternoon. It allows people to fly to Ottawa for the day to do business and return that same night. It was sold out last week i was on it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:05 AM
ハルウララ

Really happy with the Porter news. Arguably the best airline in Canada and it means I can finally fly direct between SJ-Ottawa. Saves me time and money and hassle.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:03 PM

I really miss flying Porter (to Halifax anyway). Not a big fan of Halifax-Ottawa-Billy Bishop for flying to Toronto, but Porter can't be beat for short-duration flights. The free beer certainly helps

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:29 PM

Nice to finally have all 3 airlines at YFC. Airport is busier than ever and competition =choice = good for the flyer.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Really happy with the Porter news. Arguably the best airline in Canada and it means I can finally fly direct between SJ-Ottawa. Saves me time and money and hassle.
Yes very good news. I checked prices last night and very very good rates. $155 one way to TO in Sept. Awesome!!!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 1:27 PM

Some good news for YFC:

Quote:
A new funding program could help the overcrowded Fredericton International Airport secure federal dollars for a $30-million expansion.

Transportation Minister Marc Garneau announced Tuesday that National Airport System airports, such as Fredericton, are eligible for funding under the new National Trade Corridor Fund.

The $2.1 billion fund over 11 years is part of the $10.1 billion announced for trade and transportation infrastructure in the government's 2017 budget.

It's good news for Fredericton which, unlike other smaller airports, doesn't qualify for federal funding under the Airports Capital Assistance Program because it's part of the National Airport System.

Five of the 25 other airports that form the National Airport System – identified as being strategically important to the country's air travel system – also faced a similar hurdle.

Krista Ross, CEO of the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce, said in a news release that Tuesday's announcement clears the path for the airport to receive federal funding for its expansion.

Fredericton is one of 26 airports that form the National Airport System – identified as being strategically important to the country's air travel system.

The Fredericton International Airport Authority says it's prepared to put $10 million into the expansion, which would allow the airport to accommodate 500,000 passengers a year.

Almost 388,000 passengers travelled through the airport last year – nearly double the number the airport was designed to accommodate.

An independent study in 2011 suggested that passenger traffic could reach 500,000 by the year 2030.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:19 PM

Article in the TJ about YSJ's plans for the new funding as well. Which is great news!

They cited needing 36 million in funding for runway refurbishment, runway extension, high-intensity LED runway lighting and adding in new centerline lighting - All of which are very-much needed!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to this news release from WestJet, they have formally announced increasing flights from Moncton to Toronto to 3x daily.

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1250

This was previously rumoured, but now confirmed. No word on equipment, but I imagine it will be Q400 turboprop.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
According to this news release from WestJet, they have formally announced increasing flights from Moncton to Toronto to 3x daily.

This was previously rumoured, but now confirmed. No word on equipment, but I imagine it will be Q400 turboprop.
I think this may be the case... The GMIA is becoming the Q400 airport for New Brunswick the way that I look at it. The Bangor International Airport has more jet service than Moncton.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I think this may be the case... The GMIA is becoming the Q400 airport for New Brunswick the way that I look at it. The Bangor International Airport has more jet service than Moncton.
The economics of the Q400 are way better than a regional jet. I'd personally take a 3/day option of a Q400 over a 1/day flight on a 737.

That way you can better time a connecting flight if you're catching one at Pearson - no sitting around waiting for hours for an onward flight.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:

Q4 confirmed. You can verify it on the Westjet website by choosing your winter flights.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Encore has been fying to YQM 3 times faily for about a week now. I believe the last 737 flight was July 15th. This announcement simply states the 3x daily service will continue into the winter instead of seasonally.

I myself despise the Q400 and would rather have the 737 once a day. It was the only reason i ever flew westjet.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 10:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
Encore has been fying to YQM 3 times faily for about a week now. I believe the last 737 flight was July 15th. This announcement simply states the 3x daily service will continue into the winter instead of seasonally.

I myself despise the Q400 and would rather have the 737 once a day. It was the only reason i ever flew westjet.
It's sad to see the 737 go, but I guess we are trading it for increased overall capacity and greater flight frequency. Aswave46 stated, this will reduce connection times at Pearson and generally make WestJet more competitive with Air Canada.

If volumes increase at YQM, I wonder if WestJet or Air Canada will simply add more turboprop flights, or will they bring back some jet service in the future.......

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:01 PM

I Also wonder if West jet is redistributing the 737's to larger/ busier routes, but still increasing seat capacity in medium sized airports/ routes such as Moncton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces